Kentucky All-Star Team

From Mike Fields Blog in the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Four players from Manual, six from Louisville.

Thoughts?

Girls’ Kentucky All-Stars basketball roster

Published April 29, 2012

Sydney Moss of Boone County, who was named Miss Basketball on Saturday night, heads the girls’ Kentucky All-Stars, whose roster was announced on Sunday.

The players were selected from tryouts held at Georgetown College on April 21.

State champion Manual has four players on the all-star squad.

Here’s the team that will play the Indiana All-Stars on June 8 in Freedom Hall in Louisville, and Feb. 9 in Bankers Life Fieldshouse in Indianapolis:

GIRLS’ KENTUCKY ALL-STARS

Player, school Ht (College)

•Lauren Bodine, Manual 5-8 (Maine)

•Bre Elder, Marion County 5-10 (Dayton)

•Micah Jones, Green County 5-8 (WKU)

•x-Sydney Moss, Boone County 5-10 (Florida)

•Kendall Noble, Perry Central 5-10 (WKU)

•Christine Roush, Mercy 5-10 (NKU)

•Courtney Roush, Mercy 5-11 (NKU)

•Christy Soldo, Hopkinsville 5-11 (Murray State)

•Jasmine Whitfield, South Oldham 5-11 (Cincinnati)

•April Wilson, Manual 5-8 (Purdue)

•Kara Wright, Manual 5-11 (Southeast Missouri)

•LeAsia Wright, Manual 5-8 (WKU)

Head coach: Stacy Pendleton, Manual

Assistants: Chris Souder, Mercer County; Jennifer Parsons, Corbin

Fields Notes

From Courier-Journal

More on Kentucky girls’ All-Stars

Posted on April 29, 2012 by Jason Frakes

The four seniors who led the Manual High School girls’ basketball team to the state championship in March will get one more chance to play together this summer.

April Wilson, Kara Wright, LeAsia Wright and Lauren Bodine were among the 12 players named Sunday to play for the Kentucky squad that will face Indiana in June during the states’ annual All-Stars series.

Manual coach Stacy Pendleton is the head coach of the Kentucky squad and – along with the selection committee – didn’t hesitate to name the four Lady Crimsons to the All-Stars squad.

“I think having a team with as much continuity as possible is only going to make it better,” Pendleton said. “I felt like what we predominantly had in the state this year was long, athletic kids. We were looking for that kind of team, and that’s the team we picked.”

Manual is the first school ever to place four players on the girls’ All-Stars team. Mercy had three players selected to the 1992 squad – Christina Jansen, Katie Roalofs and Kristie Stuckenberg.

In all, seven Louisville-area players were selected to this year’s squad, with Mercy twins Christine and Courtney Roush and South Oldham’s Jasmine Whitfield also picked.

Boone County’s Sydney Moss was an automatic selection after being named Kentucky’s Miss Basketball on Saturday and will wear the No. 1 jersey when Kentucky faces Indiana on June 8 at Louisville’s Freedom Hall and June 9 at Indianapolis’ Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

The other seniors selected were Marion County’s Bre Elder, Green County’s Micah Jones, Perry County Central’s Kendall Noble and Hopkinsville’s Christy Soldo.

Wilson, Whitfield and Noble joined Moss as finalists for the Miss Basketball award. The fifth finalist, Ryle’s Jenna Crittendon, is injured and could not try out for the squad.

Ten of the 12 All-Stars have signed with NCAA Division I schools. The Roush twins have signed with Northern Kentucky, which is the process of moving from Division II to Division I.

Pendleton pointed out Jones, Soldo and Courtney Roush as the surprise players during tryouts earlier this month.

“Micah Jones is a combo guard who shoots it well … and will be able to defend people because she’s so strong and fast,” Pendleton said. “Soldo kind of has an unorthodox game, but she can flat fill it up. She doesn’t miss from 12 to 15 feet. … And Courtney Roush fills a void for us because she’s probably our most sound post defender.”

Pendleton expects the team to play a fast pace, much like his Manual squads.

“I feel great about the team we picked,” he said. “I know what I’m going to get from my four (Manual) girls and (Mercy’s) two. And what I liked most is there wasn’t one ego in the gym (during tryouts). … They’re all in for winning this thing.”

More on Kentucky girls’ All-Stars | Jason Frakes – KHS

I am very suprised that we have no one over 6 feet because Indiana is so tall. Obviously the Manual coach knows how to win games so I won't second guess the team. I probably would have bet my house that Mykal Farris and Kristen Jacobs would make the team because they looked great at tryouts but that's probably why I am just a fan and not a coach, lol.

I am very suprised that we have no one over 6 feet because Indiana is so tall. Obviously the Manual coach knows how to win games so I won't second guess the team. I probably would have bet my house that Mykal Farris and Kristen Jacobs would make the team because they looked great at tryouts but that's probably why I am just a fan and not a coach, lol.

This coach is not very smart and according to everyone I have talked to picked a few( including his own) that did not deserve to make it as evidenced by your review. Farris was definitely one of the top 12. And your eye is better than you are giving it credit to be....:thumb: