UK #23

hja1224

UK Bat Cats cracked the top 25 with their 16th straight win. Congrats to Luke Maile on the walk off hit today. He has had a great start to the season.

Maile’s game-winning RBI marks his team-high sixth game-winning RBI for the Wildcats through the first 16 games. The 2009 Kentucky High School Mr. Baseball went 2-for-4 with his game-tying and game-winning RBI in the game, adding his fifth double of the season. On the year, Maile has hit .386 (22-for-57) with five doubles, three homers, 21 RBI, a 10-2 walk-strikeout ratio and six stolen bases.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make that # 16.......

March 12, 2012

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- After improving to a nation-leading 16-0 with five wins last week, the Kentucky baseball team has climbed to No. 16 in the Collegiate Baseball top-30 poll and has made its season debut in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll, checking in No. 20, it was announced on Monday morning.

Kentucky (16-0) moved from No. 23 in the Collegiate Baseball poll last Monday to No. 16 after the 5-0 week. The Wildcats made their season debut in the USA Today/ESPN coaches top-25 on Monday, with the No. 20 ranking.

Wasn't aware of that. They might make it now...

Their non-conference schedule is laughable...

Your cynicism is appropriate. UK's early success deserves to be received with much reservation until they beat somebody in the SEC. However, you need to look at the rest of the conference's non-conference schedules. With a couple of obvious exceptions, those schedules are filled with great schools like Appalachian St, Georgia Southern, Presbyterian, Winthrop, Savannah St, Western Illinois, Western Carolina, Kennesaw St, Bethune-Cookman, William & Mary, Elon, VMI, UNC Asheville, Princeton, Charleston Southern, and so on.... UK"s rpi is on par or better than several SEC teams. The point is UK has a lot of work to do to earn respect, but their schedule is not laughable by any stretch.

Your cynicism is appropriate. UK's early success deserves to be received with much reservation until they beat somebody in the SEC. However, you need to look at the rest of the conference's non-conference schedules. With a couple of obvious exceptions, those schedules are filled with great schools like Appalachian St, Georgia Southern, Presbyterian, Winthrop, Savannah St, Western Illinois, Western Carolina, Kennesaw St, Bethune-Cookman, William & Mary, Elon, VMI, UNC Asheville, Princeton, Charleston Southern, and so on.... UK"s rpi is on par or better than several SEC teams. The point is UK has a lot of work to do to earn respect, but their schedule is not laughable by any stretch.

The thing about most of the schools you mentioned is that they're from the south. Southern schools have better baseball teams than northern teams that UK is playing...

I'll just go team by team for pre conference games with other good baseball schools except UK since we all know that schedule...

Florida - Miami, Cal State Fullerton, Florida St.

UT - Texas, Rice, Houston

USC - Clemson

Vandy - Stanford, San Diego

Georgia - UCLA

LSU - no traditional powers but atleast they have a couple other major DI schools

Arkansas - Texas Tech, Houston, Texas

Ole Miss - TCU, Houston, Louisville

Miss St - Again, no traditional powers but atleast there are other major DI schools

Alabama - Louisville, Florida Atlantic, Tulane

Auburn - Missouri, Arizona, Southern Miss

UK's schedule is made up of a bunch of no name schools that they know they'll beat.

They may come out and win some games in the SEC and prove me wrong, but I doubt it...

The thing about most of the schools you mentioned is that they're from the south. Southern schools have better baseball teams than northern teams that UK is playing...

I'll just go team by team for pre conference games with other good baseball schools except UK since we all know that schedule...

Florida - Miami, Cal State Fullerton, Florida St.

UT - Texas, Rice, Houston

USC - Clemson

Vandy - Stanford, San Diego

Georgia - UCLA

LSU - no traditional powers but atleast they have a couple other major DI schools

Arkansas - Texas Tech, Houston, Texas

Ole Miss - TCU, Houston, Louisville

Miss St - Again, no traditional powers but atleast there are other major DI schools

Alabama - Louisville, Florida Atlantic, Tulane

Auburn - Missouri, Arizona, Southern Miss

UK's schedule is made up of a bunch of no name schools that they know they'll beat.

They may come out and win some games in the SEC and prove me wrong, but I doubt it...

I hear you, and that makes a lot of sense. I'm truly not bent on this point and I'm sure I don't understand how it's figured or if it means anything. But, I'm curious if these various rankings mean anything. UK"s strength of schedule ranking is 101; there are 4 SEC teams ranked higher (Florida, SC, Vandy, Auburn) and 7 ranked lower. UK's RPI rank is 10; there are two ranked higher (Florida 1 and SC 2) the rest are lower. Again, I don't think this tells us anything about what they'll do the rest of the season, I just think that tells us that their schedule is not laughable compared to the rest of the conference. Wouldn't you agree with that? Understand, I am simply enjoying some spare time reading and discussion. I truly don't feel strongly about any of this, more curious than anything. Like I said before, you're skepticism is shared by me and is well deserved. I'm just hoping for continued success and something to hang my hat on until the story is told.

It may not be the toughest schedule but they still won them all and that's better than last year. I will enjoy following them as baseball is my favorite sport and UK is my favorite college team. They have a couple of new players I look forward to watching. One is Austin Cousino from Dublin, Ohio. He has been hitting the ball very well and his resume is outstanding from his high school days. Only 5'10" and 178 pounds and he is starting as a frosh at UK and hitting over .400 through 16 games.

I hear you, and that makes a lot of sense. I'm truly not bent on this point and I'm sure I don't understand how it's figured or if it means anything. But, I'm curious if these various rankings mean anything. UK"s strength of schedule ranking is 101; there are 4 SEC teams ranked higher (Florida, SC, Vandy, Auburn) and 7 ranked lower. UK's RPI rank is 10; there are two ranked higher (Florida 1 and SC 2) the rest are lower. Again, I don't think this tells us anything about what they'll do the rest of the season, I just think that tells us that their schedule is not laughable compared to the rest of the conference. Wouldn't you agree with that? Understand, I am simply enjoying some spare time reading and discussion. I truly don't feel strongly about any of this, more curious than anything. Like I said before, you're skepticism is shared by me and is well deserved. I'm just hoping for continued success and something to hang my hat on until the story is told.

I looked at every SEC schedule last night. Theirs is by far the worst, IMO. I don't put much stock into those computer rankings, especially for baseball.

It may not be the toughest schedule but they still won them all and that's better than last year. I will enjoy following them as baseball is my favorite sport and UK is my favorite college team. They have a couple of new players I look forward to watching. One is Austin Cousino from Dublin, Ohio. He has been hitting the ball very well and his resume is outstanding from his high school days. Only 5'10" and 178 pounds and he is starting as a frosh at UK and hitting over .400 through 16 games.

They may do well in the SEC. But I wouldn't bet on it. There's no reason they shouldn't be playing preconference weekend series with Louisville, Ohio St, Indiana, Illinois, and so on. Those games would get them more prepared for the SEC than Buffalo and UIC.