Baseball In The Media

Pat Dad

I just want to get some thoughts from some of you baseball guys on here.

Do you think that your local media (TV and/or newspaper) is fair to baseball. I don't think it is. Our local newspaper does cover baseball pretty good. They have every score, the highlights from the game and pictures. The paper also does a nice job on our Little League.

The regional news is different. Every now then we might see a score or two and that's it. This really upsets me. The HS football teams get a lot of coverage as well as the basketball teams. They both get "Teams of the Week", "Play of the Week", "Player of the Week", and so on. Even if a kid that plays basketball and/or football signs with a college team, they get recognized. Baseball players do not. And if thay have, let me know. I'd really like to know. Why can't they give baseball it's due? There are kids out there that only play baseball. They choose to do so. Don't they deserve to get some recognition as well? I've been to a few college's baseball websites and looked at rosters to see someone that I did not know that had sighned. It really blows my mind.

I have talked to one sports reporter in particular that is no longer in Kentucky and now is doing something for another network. This conversation took place long before he hit the bigtime. I won't give his name. Anyway, he kind of said that the reason the TV media doesn't report much on baseball is because the people in charge think it's not popular enough. That's true. The state isn't known for baseball. But, he went on to say that if the stations could give some of these kids some kudos it would make it better and probably make that player feel good as well. They play just as hard on the diamond as do the other players on the football field and the hard court.

BGP is the best way to know what is going on regionally. And probably will be for a long time.

So, what are your thoughts? And please keep the names of newspapers, TV stations, and reporters out of this discussion. I'd like to see this thread to stay a while.

*Moderator's, I know this discussion is a little risky. But, can we see how it goes? As long as no one says any names, of course. I would really appreciate it.*

I love the game of Baseball and in some areas of the state, you will see more coverage of particular sports. Larger market areas, will have trouble carrying youth games, HS games along with everything else.

Certain areas may be "Basketball" while others are "Football" and than you will find some areas of "Baseball", with others having 2 of the 3. Some schools have difficult times getting their student body to attend HS games, so coverage will be sparse in those local media markets, school papers or even a recap on the radio stations.

Coaches need to do a better job, of reporting scores, highlights and media promotion, to get both the student body and media to cover games. Baseball is alive and well in KY but not everyone goes to watch, 3-4 games a week and Saturdays, will cause some parents to choose which nights to watch.

I know you love the game as well, we all just have to encourage participation, from the student body, parents and community. As tournaments get closer, the attendance will increase.

Too often local media is understaffed and their circulation area may encompase a lot of baseball, from more than one high school, college, youth leagues, summer programs, spring sports, girls softball and numerous others.

Games of the week on radio, would generate new interest and the caliber of team often is reason for the newspaper to write articles.

Quite frankly, I believe it has more to do with the sheer number of games played. Football? Everybody plays on Friday night or Saturday. Basketball? Mostly 2 or three nights per week. Baseball? Multiple teams playing 4 to 5 games per week and DH's on some days. It is a question of volume and the media's ability to cover that many outlets in a reasonable manner. Mostly from my experience, media outlets cover the stuff they can shine on and basically ignore or give lip service to the items they simply cannot manage.

We have support from our radio station no matter where we travel. They have broadcast games from Florida, Alabama, California, and Las Vegas just while I was invilved with them. Our local newspaper also does an excellant job with photos and stories about our youth leagues t-ball and up. These are just some of the many attributes that makes us the King of Baseball in Kentucky.

Quite frankly, I believe it has more to do with the sheer number of games played. Football? Everybody plays on Friday night or Saturday. Basketball? Mostly 2 or three nights per week. Baseball? Multiple teams playing 4 to 5 games per week and DH's on some days. It is a question of volume and the media's ability to cover that many outlets in a reasonable manner. Mostly from my experience, media outlets cover the stuff they can shine on and basically ignore or give lip service to the items they simply cannot manage.

:thumb:

My thoughts exactly. Baseball is a great game, whether it be playing or watching; however, it would be a very difficult task for a news station to keep up with every baseball game due to the number of games played.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Basketball is twice a week and Football is once a week. Baseball is six days out of the week. Basketball and Football games don't get rained out. There are usually no contracts exchanged in baseball, so if a team doesn't show up to play - because "they couldn't get a a bus" then there is no consequences to the school.

I think another big reason is the lack of communication between coaches and the media outlets. Coaches don't tend to call in games, and it's usually a day late, at best, getting a score on the khsaa website.

Great posts guys. I agree with most of the statements that is may be hard to cover so many games. Strike3's comments about coaches doing a better job of reporting and promoting are dead on. I would add that AD's also need to do the same. The AD's need to get behind the promotion of baseball as much as they do the other two big sports.

As for radio coverage, Knott Central's former baseball booster president asked a local supporter to sponsor a game on our local station. This person agreed. Even though KCC didn't win the game, the station did do another game and said that they may do more. That's a start. I do remember back in the early 90's that this station did call some games and I enjoyed listening.

We all do need to get behind our boys and get some more people in the stands.

We all do need to get behind our boys and get some more people in the stands.
Well said my friend. Baseball is a great sport, my passion and has allowed me to meet a lot of wonderful people, play against excellent competition, see places in Kentucky and across the US, that I might have never had the opportunity.

Get the schools, coaches, community and media focused on Baseball, by being an Ambassador of the Game! :thumb:

I am so glad to see this thread. I thought I was the only one that felt this way. The local TV station does a great job covering football and basketball. If you notice most of the football and basketball players play baseball. I'm sure if you were to ask them they would say "please, at least tell our scores on TV and come and film our team when you can". I agree 100% about coaches needing to get the message out to the media about there team. Thanks pat dad for this thread, maybe someone will see it and take notice.

:thumb:

I'm glad to see some other's here on BGP just as passionate as I am about baseball. These kids deserve to be recongized just as much as those that play basketball and football. Our local newspaper does it's part. If the regional TV would just acknowledge baseball a little more, it would be a start. I know that some stations don't have the people in place to cover baseball. One way to take care of that, is to maybe pick a game or three ( :D ) a week and report on them. Basketball teams play, at least three games a week, and most of them are highlighted on the nightly and morning sports reports.

I feel, along with the rest of you, that it's gonna take coaches and AD's to get baseball more into the media. Maybe us fan's and parent's can help out as well. :thumb:

Also, another problem with baseball coverage is when the games are played. Most of the time, at least in Northern Kentucky, the games are played at or around 4:30. I think if the majority of games were at night you would also see some additional coverage.

Only problem with the night games is when the sun goes down in April, it's generally pretty dang cold.