KY considering a bill for player likeness pay

John Anthony

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that states are being proactive about this in the "Yeah, stick it to the NCAA!" kinda way. :lol2: Although I think it will be largely irrelevant if the NCAA doesn't change their policies (I think they are going to, eventually).

Would this make all Kentucky NCAA athletes paid professionals so to speak?

It would seem so. It won't be long until you are seeing former players around the nation in trouble for tax evasion. I can see several kids pocketing what ever they get paid and never thinking about paying taxes on it.

Will schools need Endorsement Coordinators? Let's say you are recruiting Zion or Cam and their agent says we need at least $200K per year in guaranteed endorsements before we sign a LOI. Someone is going to have to go out and beat the bushes lining that up. Of course that would be easy to arrange for those guys.

With every kid that goes Div 1 now seeing these deals in place for the stars, well then they also want a deal before they sign.

Everyone thinks this will just allow kids to make money from autographs or jersey sales after they get to college and are a star. It will get to where coaches won't recruit anymore, an Endorsement Coordinator will just email them an offer of what they can get them.

It would seem so. It won't be long until you are seeing former players around the nation in trouble for tax evasion. I can see several kids pocketing what ever they get paid and never thinking about paying taxes on it.

1099 classes coming to a campus near you.

Do all sports/genders generate the same revenue?

Of course not but depending on the circumstances that doesn't matter and/or some reports claim those that make less receive more when you account for everything.

I don't know anything about this proposal and want to learn more.

Of course not but depending on the circumstances that doesn't matter and/or some reports claim those that make less receive more when you account for everything.

I don't know anything about this proposal and want to learn more.

The proposal is that they are free to market themselves, not that the school is going to be paying them. So if the Olympic Gymnast attending UGA can get an endorsement she would be free to. If Kash Daniels wanted to sit at a business and sign autographs at $10 a pop all night he could do so. If there is no market for an endorsement or autograph signing for a 2nd string midfielder on the soccer team, then they wouldn't be cashing in.

One thing California did was take care of the Shoe Companies and Athletic Department deals that were in place. Players can sign shoe deals, but not with a shoe company that the school they are attending doesn't have a deal with. So if a kid signs with Nike and they can't go to an Under Armor school like UCLA.

The proposal is that they are free to market themselves, not that the school is going to be paying them. So if the Olympic Gymnast attending UGA can get an endorsement she would be free to. If Kash Daniels wanted to sit at a business and sign autographs at $10 a pop all night he could do so. If there is no market for an endorsement or autograph signing for a 2nd string midfielder on the soccer team, then they wouldn't be cashing in.

I am sure that will go over like a lead balloon for all the student-athletes that work just as hard as the stars but are still broke.

I also assume it would give corporations like Nike and Adidas unbelievable power to persuade the biggest stars to go to "their schools" so that they could set up "shill enterprises" and pay the stars a small fortune.