Question on eye contacts.

Rebel

I'm old school and want contacts as I hate jogging in glasses. I got a trial pair last week and my distance was fine but needed glasses for up close while on the phone or computer. This week I am trying a bifocal pair and they are really messing me up. One second I can see up close and not distance and the other the opposite. It's only been a day but currently I hate these!

My question is after talking to others. Has anyone tried one eye for distance and the other for close up that are not bifocals? I want to wear contacts bad but having a issue seeing with them! :taz:

I've got them. Like you, I started out just having a single prescription that was the same for both eyes (for nearsightedness). Several years ago, I noticed that I was having difficulty reading some fine print at work. So, the first thing I did was get a pair of "readers" that I kept on my desk. Problem was, I kept finding I needed them elsewhere, too. In the truck...at the grocery store...at home...etc. So, I bought a few more pairs and tried to keep them everywhere. Got to be a real pain in the butt.

So, the next time I was at the eye doctor's, I explained the situation to her. Like you, I was given a pair of bifocal lenses. Wore them for a little while, but didn't like them. It wasn't that I had a hard time using the "inside" or the "outside" portion of the prescription, but things just weren't clear. (I have astigmatism, so maybe it was just that.)

Anyway, I went back and got two different prescriptions. My left (dominant) eye is now set for seeing distance. My right eye, is dialed back to help read things closer. At first I thought it'd be really weird, not being able to see distance with my right eye, and vice versa with the left. But, it's not like it's an all or nothing situation. I could still drive if I only had my right eye to use...and likewise, can still make out a lot of the print while reading. It's just that they're not super laser-focused like the other eye. But, I guess your brain defaults to whichever image is the stronger. It's not like you have to make a conscious decision to use one eye over the other.

I'd highly recommend you at least explore that route. Especially if you don't like the bifocal ones.

Ive worn multifocal contacts for the last 5 or 6 years. They really worked well for me until the last 18 months. It finally got to a point where even with the multi focal lenses, my distance got dialed back to a point where my distance vision was becoming bad, especially at night. After much thought, I decided to get Lasik, which I had done this past weekend. My lasik was done with one eye corrected for near and the other for distance. So far so good, I’m terms of vision, although I am dealing Smith a minor complication from the surgery.

My old eye doctor put me on a trial pair of multi-focal lenses a few years ago and they were unusable for me. Made my eyes water like crazy. So I just keep readers with me when I wear contacts, which is only about half the time. I mostly use contacts when I have to be outside in the sun and need shades.