Madison Central 43 Walton-Verona 38

Defense definitely ruled. Updates I got had it tied at 15 at halftime and Madison Central leading 24-21 after the third quarter.

And MC defense was pack it in and make WV hit a shot. WV shot 8/35 from 3 and 30 of those 35 were with someone 3-5 feet off the shooter. Sad part is WV actually shot better from 3 than from 15 feet and in where Pardee/Miles were about 20%. At some point you have to make a wide open uncontested shot to make the defense respect you and free up the middle. Madison Central played 5 guys within a step or 2 of the paint the entire night, literally allowing WV to walk up to the top of the key and no one within 5 feet of them.

Madison Central (14-12) - Charlton 5 9 19, Cox 3 0 6, Brown 1 4 6, Ray 1 4 7, Cozart 2 1 5. Totals: 12 18 43.

Walton-Verona (20-6) - Jones 3 0 7, Bonne 2 2 7, Watson 3 0 9, Pardee 1 0 2, Grubbs 2 0 6, Miles 2 2 7. Totals: 13 4 38.

Halftime: 15-15. 3-pointers: MC (Ray); WV 8 (Watson 3, Grubbs 2, Jones, Miles).

If MC wants you to shoot the 3, when you are not a 3 point shooting team, and that is what you do.. it is a bad game plan.

I have watched this group play against our boys for years, this is not their game. They have always been a hard pressing squad that moves the ball, not sure what offense they are running but when you have the biggest guy in the region it should center around him. I am just glad they do not have Coach Jones because a Regional Championship would be guaranteed.

Edited by Jdhogg

If MC wants you to shoot the 3 when you are not a 3 point shooting team, it is a bad game plan.

I have watched this group play against our boys for years, this is not their game. They have always been a hard pressing squad that moves the ball, not sure what offense they are running but when you have the biggest guy in the region it should center around him. I am just glad they do not have Coach Jones because a Regional Championship would be guaranteed.

Did you forget that MC has Cozart (Mr. Basketball Candidate) the Leading Shot blocker in the history of KY basketball in the middle of the zone? He neutralized Miles the entire night. As I mentioned, Pardee and Miles were around 20% from the floor. So the inside/middle was not working and the outside was not working, care to give a better game plan?

Tough sledding for Coach Brannen. WV is 20-6, playing easily one of the best schedules you will find for an all A school. Only losses to KY teams are Ballard, Scott County, LCA, Madison Central (split 1-1 on year) and Simon Kenton. This is his 3rd 20 win season in a row after adopting a team that went 4-23 his first year. You would think they were underachieving and losing multiple games to teams they should beat. They have beat the #1 team in the 10th and 14th region and beat nearly everyone they played in the 8th region. Some people are just so quick to jump when a team of 16-18 year olds have a rough game, blame it on the coach and his game plan. Why not, this team is having a great year for a small public all A school and had an off night?

In response to your 1st question about game plan, here is what I have observed: 1st, Miles is not getting enough touches in position, which should be the low block. Why you would have him on the perimeter defies basketball logic. He commands 2-3 defenders which leaves a wing or opposite block open, it works. To your point, they were left wide open on the perimeter, there was a reason for that, they played the game MC wanted them to play. 2nd, They had already beaten MC, just as they had beaten S Oldham last year before Regionals. Those teams adjusted and WV did not. 3rd, You boast of his record, but he was handed a group of boys that had played together under great coaches that were committed, I guess you never got the chance to see these boys play in the summer, they were tough and exciting and now they are like watching paint dry! And finally, if you are there to build a program, Why would you keep 9 Sr's? It looks like he wont be around to clean up the mess.

In response to your 1st question about game plan, here is what I have observed: 1st, Miles is not getting enough touches in position, which should be the low block. Why you would have him on the perimeter defies basketball logic. He commands 2-3 defenders which leaves a wing or opposite block open, it works. To your point, they were left wide open on the perimeter, there was a reason for that, they played the game MC wanted them to play. 2nd, They had already beaten MC, just as they had beaten S Oldham last year before Regionals. Those teams adjusted and WV did not. 3rd, You boast of his record, but he was handed a group of boys that had played together under great coaches that were committed, I guess you never got the chance to see these boys play in the summer, they were tough and exciting and now they are like watching paint dry! And finally, if you are there to build a program, Why would you keep 9 Sr's? It looks like he wont be around to clean up the mess.

I'll go ahead and leave the thread at this point, anyone who thinks AAU is any comparison to high school ball clearly has no clue the amount of time there is put into prepping for a game. Defense in AAU is comical to say the least. I know the amount of hours and depth of scouting reports WV does for every game, nothing in AAU compares but to each his own. Then to say they were tough and exciting but now like watching paint? They mix it up with full court run and jump, trap all over in half court, turn teams over with pressure and trapping defense every game yet they are boring? Sorry but it is hard to even comment on that. Best of luck to the team you support.