Cooper 53 Newport Central Catholic 33

This was a pretty competitive game into 4th quarter on Sr night at Cooper.

23-19 Cooper at half and a about a 10 point game until about 4 min left in 4th quarter.

Breds were without Mullikin tonight but played tough. NCC guards Howard and Jeffferson got to the rim off the bounce but just couldn’t finish well enough as Cooper’s collapsing defense challenged everything.

Cooper’s outside shooting was terrific and they played very well overall.

@Bluesport - I agree but those 2 games should have * for NCC ... as a couple key players sat majority of 2nd halves in those contests. Not saying it changes losses to wins as Mustangs and Bulldogs both deserved victories - but when 3 starters sit majority of a half it does effect game.

Bigger thing for me was that NCC competed without Mullikin who has been so good this year. I think NCC is heading in right direction (especially for next year as 8 of 9 players return)

Jags held them to 33 points!!

That's the bottom line. A lot of teams "keep it close" but Jags are tough when they find their groove defensively which typically helps them put up enough points win games. They are giving up 44 points per game defensively and have only yielded over 50 points 6 times and are 3-3 when they do so typically when they hold teams under 51 points they are tough to beat. Cooper's bread is buttered on the defensive end of the floor.

That's the bottom line. A lot of teams "keep it close" but Jags are tough when they find their groove defensively which typically helps them put up enough points win games. They are giving up 44 points per game defensively and have only yielded over 50 points 6 times and are 3-3 when they do so typically when they hold teams under 51 points they are tough to beat. Cooper's bread is buttered on the defensive end of the floor.

The best part of watching this team is they have just as much fun playing defense as they do playing offense.

Second their so unselfish at times I feel to unselfish none of these young men care who scores they just wanta win.

The best part of watching this team is they have just as much fun playing defense as they do playing offense.

Second their so unselfish at times I feel to unselfish none of these young men care who scores they just wanta win.

The back of the warm-ups says “FAMILY” for a reason. They truly are a “One for All, All for One” group of individuals.

@Bluesport - I agree but those 2 games should have * for NCC ... as a couple key players sat majority of 2nd halves in those contests. Not saying it changes losses to wins as Mustangs and Bulldogs both deserved victories - but when 3 starters sit majority of a half it does effect game.

Bigger thing for me was that NCC competed without Mullikin who has been so good this year. I think NCC is heading in right direction (especially for next year as 8 of 9 players return)

Agreed-NCC is full of youth, and will be back in the mix next year.

In response/agreement to all the above comments in regards to Cooper team culture - the one thing I took away from the game from Cooper - they really look like they enjoy playing together more so than any other team I have seen this year and they did take great pride at defensive end of the floor.