9th Region Week 7 Review: A return to #1 for one team and the All A begins.

PP1

Covington Catholic silenced some naysayers and confirmed the faith of some believers in their victory over Cooper in front of a sellout crowd on Friday Night. Beechwood nearly laid an egg in a huge district game against Holmes on Friday as well. The All Tournament kicks off Monday night at Beechwood High School for the play-in game between the Tigers and the Newport Wildcats. The subsequent rounds will be played at Newport Central Catholic.

There is some confusion on khsaa.com regarding this tournament as it has St. Henry and Holy Cross playing in the first round on Saturday the 12th of January. If you go to http://www.allaclassic.org you can get a printable copy of the correct bracket for all regions. These brackets should be updated on a nightly basis.

1. Covington Catholic (14-4): Covington Catholic won twice last week including a big victory over the Cooper Jaguars to leap to #1 for the first time since week 1. Covington Catholic shot 67% from the field and 88% from the Free Throw line in their win Friday night. The Colonels play Ryle, St. Xavier (Cincinnati), and Elder this week. These boys worked hard to get back to the top.

2. Cooper (14-3): Prior to their showdown with the Colonels, Cooper, as The Rock would say, “laid the smack down” on the Simon Kenton Pioneers on Tuesday 71-33. Coach Sullivan has taught his boys to play defense at a level higher than almost all the schools around. The Jaguars have an interesting match-up against Highlands on Tuesday. The Bluebirds are the only other team in the Bluegrass State to beat Covington Catholic.

3. Beechwood (15-2): The Tigers survived a scare from the Holmes Bulldogs to increase their win total to 15. There is going to be a packed house in Fort Mitchell on Monday as the Newport Wildcats try to avenge last year’s All A loss that took place at Newport High.

4. Newport (13-4): Newport beat Lloyd easily last week establishing a Line of Demarcation between the top tier teams and the middle of the pack. The Wildcats are in for a fight on Monday against Beechwood in what is sure to be an electric atmosphere graced with the presence of more than a couple of BGP Premium-Members.

5. Highlands (9-8): Highlands squeaked by Conner by one point before losing to Campbell County by 29. I hear they are missing some players do to injury and hope to get them back soon. The Bluebirds do have the potential to move up a level this week when they play Cooper. Highlands may only have 9 wins compared to Cooper’s 14, but they did do one thing that the Jaguars couldn’t.

6. Conner (7-8): After losing to Highlands, the Cougars beat a team from Indiana pretty easily. I predict they will defeat both Dixie Heights and Ryle this week ahead of their math-up with the Jaguars on the 23rd.

7. Lloyd Memorial (9-4): Lloyd did not fair too well against the Newport Wildcats last week losing by 21. I could have put them above the Conner, but Conner lost to Newport in an overtime game in which they should have won. Lloyd and Conner do not see each other this year so we will see how the Juggs fair against some common opponents. I do like this Lloyd team and think they can defeat St. Henry as well as Dixie in district play.

8. Newport Central Catholic (8-8) The Breds beat Holy Cross and Bellevue this week to pull to .500 on the year. The All A Hosts will play Dayton on the 16th in the tournament. Evan Mulikin continues to play well for the Thoroughbreds both in scoring and rebounding.

9. St. Henry (7-10): The Cru’ won 3 games last week, including two district victories against Dixie Heights and Villa Madonna. Coach Faust’s boys are playing better defensively, giving up less than 60 points during this six game winning streak. I witnessed the Dixie victory and was impressed by St. Henry’s discipline and their ability to handle good pressure.

10. Holy Cross (5-10): The Indians are still searching for their first win since mid December At the beginning of the year, we said that Pete Knochelmen would have to play well in order for Holy Cross to succeed, according to the stats he is averaging 11 ppg. and 9 rpg. for a very solid season up to this point. The Indians benefit from having Beechwood and Newport playing each other in an early round of the All A Tournament.

11. Dixie Heights (6-11): Dixie lost twice this week to continue a tough season. Most people, myself included, considered this team to be a Top 5 team in the 9th Region this year. After a dismantling by Simon Kenton and a tough loss at St. Henry, Dixie plays the Bluebirds and the Cougars this week for a chance to reach 7 wins. I worry that this may be a lost year for the Colonels; however, being in a weaker district does give them a chance to play at NKU.

12. Holmes (4-13): The 3-1 start seems like a lifetime ago for the Bulldogs, but they did play well against Beechwood on Friday night. Although it is not showing in the win column, Coach Carr believes that the boys are improving every week. Holmes plays Highlands coming up for a chance to beat some decent competition.

13. Ryle (4-11): Ryle gave up 93 points to an average 8th Region team that will probably be the #4 seed in the 29th district. The Raiders have Cov Cath and Conner this week, we’ll see what they can do.

14. Boone County (4-13): The Rebels lost their only game this week to St. Henry. Boone County can win against Fleming County this week, but I don’t see a lot of hope for their games against Scott and Cooper.

15. Bellevue (5-12): The Tigers beat their rival Green Devils this week before losing to Newport Central Catholic. Bellevue gets a bye in the All A and travels to Lloyd on the 19th.

16. Ludlow (9-7): Ludlow won two games last week and have their eyes on St. Henry hoping to avenge a 54-point loss form earlier in the season.

17. Villa Madonna (7-10): The Vikings went 1-1 last week and p1ay Holy Cross in the first round of the All A Tournament.

18. Dayton (4-13): The Devils beat Heritage Academy before losing to Bellevue and South Dearborn. Dayton play Host Newport Central Catholic in the All A Tournament.

19. Covington Latin (1-9) The Trojans gave up 80 points to Augusta this week.

20. Heritage Academy (1-10): Heritage lost to Dayton, Ludlow, and Villa Madonna by large margins.

Nice list @PP1 . Hard to argue with these rankings. Although I do think St.Henry beats Lloyd when they meet up.

With the season over the half way point. Who do you have as your POY as of now? Thanks

Covcath and Cooper are without a doubt the two best teams but they can survive pretty much any starter being out of the game against most if not all other 9th region teams. Disken at CCH may be the exception to that last statement but I don’t think he’s player of the year. Cooper and CCH are well rounded teams with a different leader each night so hard to pick someone from either squad.

So with that in mind I think you have to go Harding. Draud would be in the conversation based on PPG and Beechwoods record but I believe Harding has edge in all-around game. Two Head to head match-ups in the coming weeks will make that decision easier. Sisson could make a claim as top player, but Highlands has been too up and down as their record indicates.

Who do you have as your POY as of now?

This would be my Top 10 as of right now, with some comparative stats, and then an 11th who has an asterisk because of missed time.

Alphabetically:

1. Cody (Lloyd).....18.8 ppg / 10 rpg / 13 FGA per game / 22% of his team's shots

2. Deere (Cooper).....13.4 ppg / 3 rpg / 10 FGA per game / 22% of his team's shots

3. Disken (CovCath).....15.0 ppg / 3 rpg / 9 FGA per game / 24% of his team's shots

4. Draud (Beechwood).....24.8 ppg / 5 rpg / 18 FGA per game / 33% of his team's shots

5. Harding (Newport).....17.9 ppg / 11 rpg / 16 FGA per game / 25% of his team's shots

6. Houston (Cooper).....11.7 ppg / 8 rpg / 9 FGA per game / 19% of his team's shots

7. Mullikin (NewCath).....21.2 ppg / 10 rpg / 14 FGA per game / 26% of his team's shots

8. Sisson (Highlands).....16.1 ppg / 9 rpg / 9 FGA per game / 21% of his team's shots

9. Thelen (CovCath).....10.7 ppg / 5 rpg / 7 FGA per game / 17% of his team's shots

10. Vieth (St. Henry).....19.8 ppg / 6 rpg / 14 FGA per game / 28% of his team's shots

If he had played more:

11. Scott (Conner).....16.1 ppg / 5 rpg / 12 FGA per game / 19% of his team's shots

This would be my Top 10 as of right now, with some comparative stats, and then an 11th who has an asterisk because of missed time.

Alphabetically:

1. Cody (Lloyd).....18.8 ppg / 10 rpg / 13 FGA per game / 22% of his team's shots

2. Deere (Cooper).....13.4 ppg / 3 rpg / 10 FGA per game / 22% of his team's shots

3. Disken (CovCath).....15.0 ppg / 3 rpg / 9 FGA per game / 24% of his team's shots

4. Draud (Beechwood).....24.8 ppg / 5 rpg / 18 FGA per game / 33% of his team's shots

5. Harding (Newport).....17.9 ppg / 11 rpg / 16 FGA per game / 25% of his team's shots

6. Houston (Cooper).....11.7 ppg / 8 rpg / 9 FGA per game / 19% of his team's shots

7. Mullikin (NewCath).....21.2 ppg / 10 rpg / 14 FGA per game / 26% of his team's shots

8. Sisson (Highlands).....16.1 ppg / 9 rpg / 9 FGA per game / 21% of his team's shots

9. Thelen (CovCath).....10.7 ppg / 5 rpg / 7 FGA per game / 17% of his team's shots

10. Vieth (St. Henry).....19.8 ppg / 6 rpg / 14 FGA per game / 28% of his team's shots

If he had played more:

11. Scott (Conner).....16.1 ppg / 5 rpg / 12 FGA per game / 19% of his team's shots

Man, compelling arguments for several kids. Never even considered Cody. Hes having a nice season. If Newport continues the success they have had, IMO Harding would have to be the front runner.

Alphabetically:

If he had played more:

Where do you find such stats?

I see the Stat Leaders on KHSAA but that's only the top 50 and you have apparently gone much deeper than that.

I have seen all of these kids play and feel Harding is the better of the group followed by Cody, Sisson, Draud, then Veith.

Nice list @PP1 . Hard to argue with these rankings. Although I do think St.Henry beats Lloyd when they meet up.

With the season over the half way point. Who do you have as your POY as of now? Thanks

I think I would have to say Draud. I do not think anyone else is averaging 24.8 ppg. He also averages 5 rebounds a game. His FG% is 45 and 3pt% is 39. His Free Throw% is 78.5.

Taj Harding plays a different position so it would be unfair for me to judge his rebounds per game or 3pt%.

Defense is just as important and I could not tell you who is the better defender. Harding probably gets more block shots, but Draud may be in better help position based on the fact that he guards the weak-side wing more often then Harding does.

Donnie Miller may be the better argument if comparing the two players.

Let's not get into a big debate about POY because different people value different stats. There are several outstanding players in the 9th region this year.

Versus their 3 toughest in-state opponents this year he was:

* Cooper: 3 of 17

* Campbell Co.: 5 of 16

* LexCath: 2 of 10

That is 10 for 43 (23%). Let's see what he does against CovCath, but for me, for now, he would be down the list.

If I'm picking teams for 5 on 5 from list, I'm picking Taj. Dude is fierce.

Alphabetically:

If he had played more:

So, wait... are these your top 10 (11) in order? If so, how do these stats make Deere (13/3) the number 2 player in the region?