Mount Notre Dame (OH) 78 Ryle 58

MND is legit, girls committed to Iowa, Miami,Oh, Loyola Marymount, great shooting and inside play, best team I’ve seen all year by far. Scherr got her usual 2 quick fouls and that changes everything, Lauren Schwartz was not aggressive enough, kinda surprising for a big game like that. Ryle cut it to 7 late in 3rd and for some reason they took Scherr out and MND went on a 6-0 run to end the qtr

As I said in the prediction thread: they'd play them better than Campbell Co, they weren't going to win, it will serve them well down the road (no KY team is as good as MND), and they'd lose by 15-20.

No worries for the Raiders. Learn, move on, and keep developing. Everything Ryle wants to accomplish is still in front of them.

Box score

Mount Notre Dame 78, Ryle 58

Ryle (17-2) - Crittendon 2 2 6, McGregor 2 2 6, Johnson 2 0 4, Schwartz 5 2 13, Scherr 9 6 27, Crist 0 2 2. Totals: 20 14 58.

MND (11-1) - Bransford 10 3 23, Cook 3 0 6, Phelia 5 1 12, Marshall 7 0 19, Centrulla 1 0 2, Hoefling 6 4 16. Totals: 32 8 78.

Halftime: MND 35-25. 3-pointers: MND 6 (Marshall 5, Phelia). R 4 (Scherr 3, Schwartz)

I was there...

Two excellent basketball teams...both could do well at the state level, although I don't think either is as good now as Mercer was at the end of last year.

It was 10 points +/- 3 from 5 minutes in til 5 minutes left when Ryle was down 13 and tried to do some high risk things defensively to get back in it.

The difference in the game was defense - MND defended the ball exceptionally well - allowed very little dribble penetration, leading to lots of contested shots for Ryle. Ryle was more aggressive, often overplayed, and looked to double. They got a few turnovers, but they did got beat alot, help didn't always get there. Plus it destroyed their rebounding positioning - MND must have had 20+ offensive rebounds. Ryle also had no defensive answer inside for MND's bigs (40 points).

Scherr was clearly the best player on the floor, even though there were probably 5-6 eventual d1's out there. She got 2 early fouls but played through it well even on defense. On offense I'd like to see her post up more - the bigs aren't quick enough to stop her without fouling, the guards are mostly too small. Didn't see her with her back to the basket once.

I do think Ryle will likely beat most anyone who tries to go up tempo with them - having the best player on the floor always will give them an edge. They may struggle against a half court team with a couple bigs and someone who can contain Scherr a little (ala Holy Cross a few years back)..