Craig Yeast named head football coach at Kentucky Wesleyan

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Wesleyan has seemingly always struggled at football. Here's hoping a guy with Kentucky connections can bring some excitement and success to the program. My worry with Yeast has always been "how long will he stay?"

There are so many reasons why the program struggles but that’s neither here no there. I hope Yeast can make some things happen.

I wondered what had happened at KWC football. Our interest was on the recruiting trail and at a May visit Coach Holsclaw gave a pretty confident speech to about 100 recruits. I liked a lot of what he said. He spoke a lot about building character and that when football players leave KWC they are better men, etc.

One thing he said kind of didn't sit right, "I'm not paid to win because if that were the chief criteria I would have been looking for a job long ago." I am paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist. Well, okay...

We also heard a really good speech casting vision for the school by the President of KWC and he reiterated his support of the Head Coach. We went on a tour of the campus and saw the stadium, a stadium they share with a local high school team. It was mentioned they are getting new turf and it should be in before the football camp they had scheduled for July 14. When it got close to that date we received a postcard cancelling the football camp because the turf wasn't in yet. I thought to myself, "That will sure hurt their recruiting efforts, efforts they desperately need given their recent won-loss record." I expected to hear something else from them. I think we may have received a Game Day Visit invitation, but by then we turned our attention to other programs.

I hadn't heard that Holsclaw had stepped down in July. After they cancelled the camp and didn't follow it right up with some other way to stay connected, we lost interest.

I wondered what had happened at KWC football. Our interest was on the recruiting trail and at a May visit Coach Holsclaw gave a pretty confident speech to about 100 recruits. I liked a lot of what he said. He spoke a lot about building character and that when football players leave KWC they are better men, etc.

One thing he said kind of didn't sit right, "I'm not paid to win because if that were the chief criteria I would have been looking for a job long ago." I am paraphrasing, of course, but that was the gist. Well, okay...

We also heard a really good speech casting vision for the school by the President of KWC and he reiterated his support of the Head Coach. We went on a tour of the campus and saw the stadium, a stadium they share with a local high school team. It was mentioned they are getting new turf and it should be in before the football camp they had scheduled for July 14. When it got close to that date we received a postcard cancelling the football camp because the turf wasn't in yet. I thought to myself, "That will sure hurt their recruiting efforts, efforts they desperately need given their recent won-loss record." I expected to hear something else from them. I think we may have received a Game Day Visit invitation, but by then we turned our attention to other programs.

I hadn't heard that Holsclaw had stepped down in July. After they cancelled the camp and didn't follow it right up with some other way to stay connected, we lost interest.

There are so many issues at KWC. I experienced them firsthand. Yes, it has gotten better, but still a long way to go.