Louisville Power Rankings 10/2

TheDeuce

1. 6A Male (7-0)

The Bulldogs just keep rolling. With yet another shutout and another blowout, Male defeated 6A Pleasure Ridge Park 49-0 last week. They take their talents on the road this week, visiting 6A Bryan Station in Lexington.

2. 2A DeSales (6-0)

Another 6A team, and another hard fought win. DeSales faced their third 6A opponent of the year, and again came away with the victory against North Hardin, 27-24. This week, it's the game they've likely had circled on their calendar since the summer, as they take on crosstown 2A rival CAL, a battle for the top spot in 2A.

3. 2A Christian Academy - Louisville (6-0)

CAL posted their second straight shutout, and defeated 6A Meade County 38-0. It was their final tune up before travelling to 2A foe DeSales this Friday, a battle for the top spot in the district and in 2A.

4. 6A Saint Xavier (4-2)

If new X Coach Kevin Wallace could have picked any regular season game to win in his first year, he would have for sure picked the one his Tigers just played. The Tigers defeated their long-time rival Trinity 21-7 at Cardinal Stadium last Friday, X's first win in the series in seven tries. They will look to carry the momentum from the win into this week, where they'll face another long time rival, the 6A Manual Crimsons.

5. 6A Butler (5-2)

After a disappointing loss to Male, Butler got back in the win column, grinding out a 14-10 win over 6A Manual. The Bears will travel to 6A Pleasure Ridge Park this week to continue district play.

6. 5A South Oldham (5-1)

The Dragons didn't miss a beat last week, winning their fifth straight game in dominating fashion, beating 5A Nelson County 48-6. They enter a three game stretch against all teams from Bullitt County this week, travelling to 5A Bullitt East on Friday.

*In regards to South not being in the rankings last week, it was simply an error of omission. I had them in my notes, and honestly don't know how I completed the rankings and missed having them in there.

7. 5A Oldham County (5-1)

Fresh off a loss to crosstown rival South Oldham, the Colonels rebounded and improved to 1-1 in the district, defeating 5A North Bullitt 48-14 last Friday. They continue district play this week as they travel to 5A Bullitt Central.

8. 6A Trinity (1-6)

The Shamrocks were unable to stay in the win column after picking up their first win of the year a week ago, falling to arch rival Saint Xavier 21-7. They return to district play this week, as they travel to 6A Eastern on Thursday night.

9. 6A North Hardin (4-3)

For the second straight week, North Hardin found themselves on the losing end of a game to a team from a smaller division, falling to 2A DeSales 27-24. They will finally start district play this week, as they travel to 6A Meade County.

10. 4A Moore (6-1)

The Mustangs have rebounded well after their lone loss of the season three weeks ago. Moore defeated 4A Breckenridge County 34-0 last Friday, improving to 2-0 in the district (two shut outs). They travel to 4A Western this week.

Game of the Week: 2A DeSales vs. 2A Christian Academy - Louisville

In what will likely be one of the best games in the state this week, this match up between 2A powers will not only decide the winner of this district, but likely determine the favorite to win the 2A State Championship in December. These teams have matched up pretty evenly over the past couple of seasons, splitting wins in 2017 (DeSales won in the regular season, CAL won in the playoffs). Should be another excellent atmosphere and game in this series on Friday.

Last Week's GOTW: 6A Saint Xavier 21 6A Trinity 7

After failing in their last seven attempts, the Tigers finally got back in the win column against their arch rival Trinity in front of a crowd of 18,000 at Cardinal Stadium. Many would argue it hadn't been much of a rivalry as of late, but this win in Coach Wallace's first year at the helm has the Tiger faithful boastful and excited for the future. While Trinity showed flashes of making a game of it, Saint Xavier was in control most of the way, and showed that they are indeed the better team in 2018.

Player of the Week: QB Anthony Sabatino, Christian Academy - Louisville

22/29

267 yards

3 TD

I have no doubt that Trinity would beat Oldham Co. and South Oldham.

Fully healthy? I agree. How they are currently? Maybe, but they've lost the benefit of the doubt this season. Those two teams are rolling. Trinity is doing the opposite.

How much has the rise of DeSales and CAL hurt Trinity and St. X?

I don’t think a whole lot. I think it’s just anomaly that St.X and Trinity down this year. St.X Frosh class is very good so still getting plenty of good players. By location, DeSales would hurt St.X and CAL would Trinity.

Kids can go to CAL & DeSales and get great coaching there as if they went to the big schools. (Lafors @ CAL, Davis & Scroggins @Desales).Level of competion is close too ( Trinity's is out of this world tuff)....but I do believe they still don't get the numbers and some of the big name players as they do....Of coarse Mr. Wright at CAL is the exception.( they have 2 others consider D1 level ) The Scott kid at DeSales has got to be in some colleges' radar too....