Russell 47 Fleming County 7

GOREDDEVILS

Great outing from Russell, especially the pass defense with five picks tonight.

Russell and Fleming have shared a district every year since 1991. It took a while, but the Panthers proved to be a worthy adversary. And quite frankly, a thorn in Russell's side in recent years. From Fleming's first ever win over Russell in 2001 en route to a district title, to the hyped up defacto district championship duel between 9-0 teams in 2004, to the mud bowl of 2015, to last year's near walk-off punt return TD, this series has had its share of memorable moments and games.

Starting next year, they go their separate ways. It'll be strange not seeing Fleming on the schedule for a while. Best of luck to the Panthers in their new district.

The Devils are now in the Drivers seat in the district. They just need to keep improving and not over look anyone.

I agree. Between now and Bath County, they CANNOT overlook struggling Pendleton and Lewis or they might just come out with a shocking L. Russell is better than both, but can not have any lapses.

Russell was in district 7 and Fleming County 6 in 07,08. That was back when they realigned every 2 years.

I have heard that they will continue to play even though they are in different districts.

Man, you guys just sucked all of the air out of my sentimental post.

I completely forgot about that two year break, GRD.

Nothing against Fleming County but I think Russell needs to go out and schedule Some tough Ohio and WV School's, or even Someone Like Johnson Central. Good competition goes a long way in helping you improve. Personally I'd rather Russell take a loss against good teams than beat up on lesser teams.

Nothing against Fleming County but I think Russell needs to go out and schedule Some tough Ohio and WV School's, or even Someone Like Johnson Central. Good competition goes a long way in helping you improve. Personally I'd rather Russell take a loss against good teams than beat up on lesser teams.

I've said this a few times before, but Russell really needs to take advantage of the scheduling flexibility afforded to them by the new, smaller district. In the last decade or so, schools like Belfry and Central have set the bar for schedule strength at the 3A level. Russell needs to follow suit if they want to get back to a championship level. Of course, that's easy for us to say. We're not Russell's AD. I'm not the one that has to work out the logistics of scheduling potentially several new teams. It's a lot easier said than done. I hope it happens, though.

Russell moved to 25-4 all time against Fleming with this win.

Correct and in the past 4 meetings Russell is 2-2 vs Fleming County. There is no doubt Russell has dominated the series but it’s the most competitive it has ever been right now.