Class 4A Notebook (9/11): Tiger Down

DragonFire

If it seems like just a week ago we were bullish on #5 Hopkinsville’s season, it’s because it was just a week ago. The Tigers grabbed a win over Caldwell County, who themselves had already beaten Christian County, Hopkinsville’s next opponent. It seemed possible, even probable, that Hoptown would grab a win over their rival, challenge historical rival Paducah Tilghman, and springboard into district play.

That’s all done now.

After Hopkinsville started with a 7-0 lead over Christian County, they found themselves behind 8-7 at the half. Then came the season changer – QB Javier Bland took a big hit, came out of the game, and the Tigers couldn’t move the ball. After the game Craig Clayton delivered the death blow that Javier Bland is out for the rest of the season. It’s yet another body shot for a program that has dealt with death, injury, and defections in the last several years, preventing them from making good on their full potential. This year appears destined to go down the same path. A team that was thought to be capable of challenging Franklin-Simpson for the region crown now appears to be no better than 50/50 to get a home game in the playoffs. Their only other QB listed on their roster is freshman Jacob Dilday. Wide receiver Ellis Dunn, a transfer from Christian County, took the snaps at QB for the remainder of the Christian County game. They’ll have a tall task at Paducah, but then two weeks to try to get right for a road trip to Madisonville.

Other games of note:

Five top ten teams won this week, and none of those games were closer than 30 points. #1 Johnson Central, #2 Franklin-Simpson, #3 Ashland, #4 Knox Central, and #6 Logan County weren’t remotely challenged. It’s why they’re the new top five this week, and for the most part, they probably aren’t going to have much challenge coming behind them for those spots now.

#8 Greenup County entered their game against 1A #3 Raceland averaging 49 PPG, but were held to just 6 in a 25-6 loss that spanned two days due to weather. Eli Sammons was held to 9/24 passing for just 107 yards. It’s a sign that the Musketeers have a ways to go to chase down Ashland in the district, who won 21-14 against Raceland earlier this year.

#9 Madisonville-North Hopkins led Union County 13-0 at halftime, but allowed two third quarter scores to fall behind 14-13, and that proved to be the final score. The Maroons had three fumbles which negated their 253-172 offensive yardage advantage, which included holding the Braves to negative 46 yards rushing. Negative 46. Even if you removed the -57 yards by QB Solamon Teehan, Union County still only gained 11 yards on the ground. It was a dominating defensive effort, but not enough.

Moore kept up their impressive start, rolling over Jeffersontown 42-14 to stay unbeaten, one of only three in the class. Their reward? A #9 ranking ahead of their road trip to #1 Johnson Central. No one expects them to win there, but a 9-1 season is looking very possible.

Upcoming Game of the Week

The aforementioned Moore/Johnson Central game is a battle of 4A top ten teams, but come on – that haul to the top team in the class? The game is probably not going to go well. No, for the best 4A game this week you’d need to go to #8 Franklin County visiting Anderson County, the #7 team in 5A. The Flyers enter off a bye week, preceded by a 48-24 win against Woodford County on September 1st. Their only loss on the year was a shellacking by Boyle County, a team that I’m growing fairly certain no team in 4A could beat. Anderson County has been impressive so far, and comes into the game 4-0. The Bearcats destroyed Franklin County 46-13 last season, but the Flyers will be looking to make a statement before district play.

I don't know who out west can beat F-S. Logan County maybe? but i think they are more a product of a weak schedule in my opinion. Should be a 3rd straight title appearance for FS. Johnson Central has a bit more competition, but i still think we will get a 3rd straight FS-JC 4A championship

In my opinion, no one out west can stop Franklin. Ashland is likely the only serious challenger in the East to Johnson Central. Your state champion will be one of those three teams.

The adversity that has dropped on Hopkinsville would stagger just about anyone. The Tigers rose from the ashes last year and reached the Regional Finals at Franklin-Simpson. They looked like a Tiger team is supposed to look jumping out to a 20-0 lead over FS.

Coach Clayton has seen about everything in his long tenure. He will shuffle the pieces and parts around and have his team ready to compete the last half of the season. I've known Hoptown football since the time of Coach Fleming Thornton and The Walnut St Stadium. Don't count them out.

The adversity that has dropped on Hopkinsville would stagger just about anyone. The Tigers rose from the ashes last year and reached the Regional Finals at Franklin-Simpson. They looked like a Tiger team is supposed to look jumping out to a 20-0 lead over FS.

Coach Clayton has seen about everything in his long tenure. He will shuffle the pieces and parts around and have his team ready to compete the last half of the season. I've known Hoptown football since the time of Coach Fleming Thornton and The Walnut St Stadium. Don't count them out.

They will be ready and fight hard the rest of the way. The problem is that they do not have another QB on the roster. They will really be running the ball every play with not threat to go vertical. They also have to install a new offense after almost 2 years of implementing their current system. Not only installing a new one, doing it midseason.

They will have games against Calloway, Hop Central, and Greenwood. So they should be able to get some good practice running their scheme against some opponents they should have no trouble beating.

I agree that Hopkinsville will fight, and I believe they will close the season strong. I'd favor them in each of their final three games. But I don't think I'll favor them over either Paducah or Logan County now, and that Madisonville game is in a challenging spot. I'd feel better about their chances if they were playing Calloway County and Hopkins County Central beforehand, allowing them to get some work in during games they're certain to win. It'll be tougher doing it against opponents that are peers.