Meal Delivery Services

swamprat

Does anyone use Home Chef, Blue Apron, or any of those "complete meal to door" services?

You order the meals online. The service delivers it to your home with the ingredients and recipes in the portions for the number of people you order for.

We used Home Chef for 3 or 4 months last year. Most of the meals were very good, and the servings were generous as we often had leftovers. It did get me to try a few new things, but ultimately, it was a little pricey, and what we do now is just buy the ingrediants for our favorite recipes from the grocery store for less money. Besides cost (which if you factor in convenience, may not be much of an issue), the one thing that ultimately drove us away, was for many of the recipes, the prep work took longer than cooking the meal. Overall, though we were happy with the service, and may possibly do it again in the future.

As a gift, some friends gave us $240 worth of Home Chef. We've been working our way through the gift 2 or 3 meals a week. We've had 5 meals, to this point and have $140 left, so it's averaging $20 a meal for 2 people.

The meals have been good and I like the fact they make it easy for you to keep the recipes. You get a 3 ring binder to keep them in. The recipes are really good, too, at least so far. Of course my pallet is not as discerning as some. Mine consists of "Oh Look!!! Food".

We do Blue Apron from time to time when they’re running a promotion. It’s definitely taken me out of my comfort zone and made me try some new things. I’ve enjoyed most of the meals, but it’s too pricey for us to do all the time.

There's a local service in Danville called Provincial Market. We love it. It's cheaper than the national services and has local homegrown food.

Kroger started doing these too I think. That makes more sense than these online order meals from national places.

Kroger started doing these too I think. That makes more sense than these online order meals from national places.

We love it. It's $35 a week for a family of our size and there's usually food left over. It's very easy, step-by-step directions on all meals.

Mrs. S got an email the other day from Home Chef. Kroger is teaming up with them. You'll be able to get Home Chef meals packages there, soon, if not already.