Spring Turkey Season

Starts here in just a couple weeks! I couldn’t be more ready to get back out there.

I haven’t really been much of a turkey hunter in the past, and actually have only gone out for two Sits ever during spring turkey. Those two sits were actually dynamite though. I took a giant bird the first time, then both my buddy and I bagged back to back birds the second time.

I’m planning to set up exactly the same way this year hoping it’ll pay off.

Can’t wait myself , been hearing them gobble a little the past couple weeks and seen a couple strutters today going to church ... I hunt with an old h & r single shot 20 gauge that my dad got me for my 12th birthday and I have killed over 50 longbeards in the last 27 years with it ... my friends used to make fun of it saying it was not enough gun to kill a turkey , they don’t say that now ... I have shot birds out to 55 yards using 3 inch #4 shot ... I occasionally shoot 5s if I can’t find 4s... it’s hard to find 4s for 20 gauges ... I have been ordering Winchesters out of Cabelas the last few times I have needed shells ... so don’t let anyone tell ya a 20 gauge won’t get it done ... my son and daughter also use it when they go with me , so it can be used by a wide range of age groups .... I have shot both 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads with 3 and 1/2 inch shells and I agree Thrillville they kick like a frickin bay mule and also so heavy packing them around ... good luck to all this spring on the ol thunder chickens ...

Can’t wait myself , been hearing them gobble a little the past couple weeks and seen a couple strutters today going to church ... I hunt with an old h & r single shot 20 gauge that my dad got me for my 12th birthday and I have killed over 50 longbeards in the last 27 years with it ... my friends used to make fun of it saying it was not enough gun to kill a turkey , they don’t say that now ... I have shot birds out to 55 yards using 3 inch #4 shot ... I occasionally shoot 5s if I can’t find 4s... it’s hard to find 4s for 20 gauges ... I have been ordering Winchesters out of Cabelas the last few times I have needed shells ... so don’t let anyone tell ya a 20 gauge won’t get it done ... my son and daughter also use it when they go with me , so it can be used by a wide range of age groups .... I have shot both 10 and 12 gauge turkey loads with 3 and 1/2 inch shells and I agree Thrillville they kick like a frickin bay mule and also so heavy packing them around ... good luck to all this spring on the ol thunder chickens ...

That was what I wanted to hear! We went out today and bought a Remington 870 20 gauge. We’re planning to go out tomorrow or Wednesday to pattern it.

I told my wife that I’m making her take the first shot at a bird. She’s so nervous lol

• 2 weeks later...
Awsome archangel !!! Congrats to your son ... good bird ... hey Thrillville how did you and the Mrs do with the 20 gauge??

We went out Saturday and Sunday morning, heard lots of gobbles, but non came in.

We did call in a hen to about 10 yards which was really exciting.

I’m for sure going out again this upcoming weekend, but my wife won’t be able to join.