Whitaker Bank/KHSAA Sweet 16 1st Round: Fern Creek vs. Boyd County Predictions

Who gets the win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

• Fern Creek Tigers
    • Boyd County Lions

The 16th Region champion Boyd County Lions take on the champions from 6th Region, the Fern Creek Tigers on Thursday, March 15th at 1:30pm at Rupp Arena.

On paper, the Tigers look like a heavy favorite in this match-up. They have a far superior resume to that of Boyd County, with wins over BGP #2 Covington Catholic, BGP #3 Trinity, BGP #7 Doss (×2), and Pleasure Ridge Park (×2), plus a competitive loss to a Ballard squad that ravaged Boyd County in their worst loss of the season.

Fern Creek (26-6) is led by the senior trio of 6’0” point guard Anthony Wales (15 ppg), 6’3” guard Ahmad Price (16.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg), and 6’6” forward Clint Wickliffe (11.8 ppg, 6.3 rpg).

Boyd County (29-6) counters with its own senior trio of 6’4” forward Gunner Short (17.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg), 6’3” forward Reese Robinson (15.5 ppg, 6.9), and 5’9” guard Taylor Smith (12.6 ppg), along with 6’1” sophomore point guard Caleb Stewart (12.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg). Robinson missed the 16th Region championship game with a shoulder injury. With over a week to recover, he might be good to go. If not, the Lions would be without one of their main cogs.

I think the only thing that keeps Fern Creek from winning in one-way traffic in this game is allowing themselves to look ahead to a potential match-up with CovCath in the 2nd Round (and the same can be said for the Colonels if they are caught peeking ahead to Fern Creek). If they are focused for this one, I think it is a double digit margin the entire 2nd half.

I think the only thing that keeps Fern Creek from winning in one-way traffic in this game is allowing themselves to look ahead to a potential match-up with CovCath in the 2nd Round (and the same can be said for the Colonels if they are caught peeking ahead to Fern Creek). If they are focused for this one, I think it is a double digit margin the entire 2nd half.

My thoughts as well.

Fern Creek by 15.