WKU With First Consecutive Sell-Outs Since 2005-2006

CyrusJS

...which was Courtney Lee's last year at WKU, and is the first consecutive sell-out in conference play since 2001-2002. You can catch the game tomorrow vs Marshall at 6PM CT for free on Stadium.

I hate to admit it, but unfortunately I think UK having a slight down year compared to recent history, as well as UofL and all the other stuff they are going through beyond just wins/losses, is somewhat of a factor in the renewed interest in WKU. Hell, the students packed out the student section in our last game an hour before tip off on the same night UK was playing Top 25 Florida.

It is still really early in Stansbury's tenure, but with his tremendous recruiting, it's certainly possible WKU can make its way back to some semblance of its former self. Heck, it was only 10 years ago since our last Sweet 16. Crazy how one bad hire (McDonald) can take years to rebuild from.

I know very few people on this board actually care, and probably get tired of seeing me post threads about Western, but oh well. I live a couple states away from Kentucky now, and need somewhere to talk about my alma mater outside of WKU message board echo chambers! :popcorn:

Attached pic is student section 45 minutes BEFORE tipoff last Saturday. They didn't sit down once for the entire game. It was electric. Try to catch a game in Diddle sometime this year if you can. I know fans of every school say the same cliche thing about their home court, but it truly is one of the best college basketball atmospheres in the country. Don't take my word for it, go catch a game and find out. Tickets are usually cheap.DUBXscTWAAA4Kkz.jpeg

Edited by CyrusJS

...which was Courtney Lee's last year at WKU, and is the first consecutive sell-out in conference play since 2001-2002. You can catch the game tomorrow vs Marshall at 6PM CT for free on Stadium.

I hate to admit it, but unfortunately I think UK having a slight down year compared to recent history, as well as UofL and all the other stuff they are going through beyond just wins/losses, is somewhat of a factor in the renewed interest in WKU. Hell, the students packed out the student section in our last game an hour before tip off on the same night UK was playing Top 25 Florida.

It is still really early in Stansbury's tenure, but with his tremendous recruiting, it's certainly possible WKU can make its way back to some semblance of its former self. Heck, it was only 10 years ago since our last Sweet 16. Crazy how one bad hire (McDonald) can take years to rebuild from.

I know very few people on this board actually care, and probably get tired of seeing me post threads about Western, but oh well. I live a couple states away from Kentucky now, and need somewhere to talk about my alma mater outside of WKU message board echo chambers! :popcorn:

Attached pic is student section 45 minutes BEFORE tipoff last Saturday. They didn't sit down once for the entire game. It was electric. Try to catch a game in Diddle sometime this year if you can. I know fans of every school say the same cliche thing about their home court, but it truly is one of the best college basketball atmospheres in the country. Don't take my word for it, go catch a game and find out. Tickets are usually cheap.[ATTACH]65327[/ATTACH]

Love the Toppers!!!!( I know that's a bit sacrilegious coming from a Colonel). I remember the days when WKU were making waves in the national tournament. Remember Clem Haskins??? Toppers were ranked #3 in the country in 1967.

Stansbury just got a pretty nice boost in salary added to his contract today. He's older, he was born right down the road, and has been around the block plenty in CBB, so there is hope he will stay until he retires, but we have said that about plenty of athletics coaches in recent memory. Money talks and there is nothing wrong with that. We know he will be here at least another few years until his son graduates high school (just started freshman year). He just bought a house here after renting last year. We will see.

Ohmer has been in a slump ever since hitting that game winner against SMU. He will come around eventually, but he is not doing very well at the moment. He will be a tremendous four year player, I believe. Hollinsworth is already exceeding expectations. He is the best defender on the team and has held opponents #1 scorers to season lows consistently. He makes a lot of freshman mistakes on offense, but that is to be expected.

Love the Toppers!!!!( I know that's a bit sacrilegious coming from a Colonel). I remember the days when WKU were making waves in the national tournament. Remember Clem Haskins??? Toppers were ranked #3 in the country in 1967.

Yep, #3 was the highest Western ever got in the poll. They've been in the Top 25 in 111 (9.6%) of all AP Polls, average rank (when ranked) 11.5. However, they haven't been ranked since November 18, 2002 (#19).

Yep, #3 was the highest Western ever got in the poll. They've been in the Top 25 in 111 (9.6%) of all AP Polls, average rank (when ranked) 11.5. However, they haven't been ranked since November 18, 2002 (#19).

You are passionate about your Toppers. I love it! I've always been a big fan of WKU. I bet you know what happened in the 1966 tourney. Western came as close as you can come to playing UK for the Mideast Region championship. Western lost to Michigan on a screw job. There was a controversial foul called on the Toppers on a jump ball, believe it or not, and Cazzie Russell went to the line and sank the tying and winning shots. WKU was that close to playing UK for a trip to the Final Four. Just think, it could have been Clem Haskins' Western Kentucky team to play Texas Western, Coached by Don Haskins. Texas Western , with its all black lineup went on to upset Rupp's Runts and its all white lineup to win the national championship. The upset win for the Miners was symbolized a breakthrough for African-Americans in college sports. History could have possibly been written a different way had the Toppers not gotten screwed at the end of the Michigan game. And now you know ... the rest...of...the...story..

You are passionate about your Toppers. I love it! I've always been a big fan of WKU. I bet you know what happened in the 1966 tourney. Western came as close as you can come to playing UK for the Mideast Region championship. Western lost to Michigan on a screw job. There was a controversial foul called on the Toppers on a jump ball, believe it or not, and Cazzie Russell went to the line and sank the tying and winning shots. WKU was that close to playing UK for a trip to the Final Four. Just think, it could have been Clem Haskins' Western Kentucky team to play Texas Western, Coached by Don Haskins. Texas Western , with its all black lineup went on to upset Rupp's Runts and its all white lineup to win the national championship. The upset win for the Miners was symbolized a breakthrough for African-Americans in college sports. History could have possibly been written a different way had the Toppers not gotten screwed at the end of the Michigan game. And now you know ... the rest...of...the...story..

Haha I'm not as well versed in the history as many. Most things are available with a google, like those AP stats. But, yeah, I've heard that 1966 story a lot of times. WKU fans swear it was the worst call in tournament history. That WKU team had a legit chance to win the natty that year, but that call ended it early. That UK-Texas Western (Now UTEP, a part of C-USA as well) game was immortalized in the movie Glory Road. I used to love that movie, but after learning about that WKU let down, I can never enjoy it quite the same!

Haha I'm not as well versed in the history as many. Most things are available with a google, like those AP stats. But, yeah, I've heard that 1966 story a lot of times. WKU fans swear it was the worst call in tournament history. That WKU team had a legit chance to win the natty that year, but that call ended it early. That UK-Texas Western (Now UTEP, a part of C-USA as well) game was immortalized in the movie Glory Road. I used to love that movie, but after learning about that WKU let down, I can never enjoy it quite the same!

I can certainly understand that. I would be the same way.

Stansbury just got a pretty nice boost in salary added to his contract today. He's older, he was born right down the road, and has been around the block plenty in CBB, so there is hope he will stay until he retires, but we have said that about plenty of athletics coaches in recent memory. Money talks and there is nothing wrong with that. We know he will be here at least another few years until his son graduates high school (just started freshman year). He just bought a house here after renting last year. We will see.

Ohmer has been in a slump ever since hitting that game winner against SMU. He will come around eventually, but he is not doing very well at the moment. He will be a tremendous four year player, I believe. Hollinsworth is already exceeding expectations. He is the best defender on the team and has held opponents #1 scorers to season lows consistently. He makes a lot of freshman mistakes on offense, but that is to be expected.

Might want to take a look at tonight's Western Kentucky starting lineup against Marshall!

Great game tonight! Ohmer started for a sick Lamonte Bearden. He played a lot better tonight than he had been. Hopefully he keeps the momentum going!

What a great win. Diddle was deafening. That run at the end was the most raucous I've ever heard a crowd at any sports venue I've ever been to.