Best Freshmen in the 8th Region

We've got a few impressive freshmen in the 8th this year who are making some SERIOUS noise.

I'd love to see what BGPreps folks think.

The top two freshmen, in my opinion, probably have to be Kelly Niece of Simon Kenton and Sam Conley of Spencer County.... But I haven't seen everyone yet.

Simon Kenton's Kelly Niece jumps to mind immediately. Averaging 17.5 ppg, hitting 54% of his shots, and 39% beyond the arc (26 of 67). Very impressive 79% at the line. The early/early/early favorite for POY in the 2020-2021 season?

Spencer County's Sam Conley also is an immediate thought.... 14.5 ppg / 5.2 rebounds, hitting 51% from the floor... Conley might be the most important freshman to the success of his team in the region. When Conley is out there, the Bears can compete with just about anyone.

But who else is in the class of 2021 that is already making an impact?

What about Trevor Hardin of Henry County? I haven't seen this kid yet, but his stats are solid for a freshman.... 7.4 ppg / 4.4 rebounds. Henry hasn't posted any shooting % yet, except free throws, and he is struggling a bit there at just 52%, but...??

Keishaun Mumphrey at Carroll County? 7.1 ppg / 6.1 rebounds.

Another player I haven't seen is Cole Kighlinger of Williamstown. The Demons haven't posted updated stats in forever, but he averaged 11 points per game in his last two outings where they did post the stats. Thoughts on this kid?

??

CM

Niece and Conley are putting together impressive seasons for teams that can compete for a region title. Nothing against the others but if they played at SK or even Spencer most would be JV only players. There is a good gap between the 2 at the top and the rest.

Niece and Conley are the top two and are top 10 players in the state for the 2021 class. Another Spencer County freshman is the starting point guard Jake Whitlock. He basically runs that team and is averaging 8 points and almost 4 assist a game and around 1.5 turnovers while being the primary ball handler. When he goes out of the game Spencer County drops a notch. Noah Gordon is a very good freshman at Shelby County. He should be featured more on that team. I like kids that are complete players--meaning they play both ends of the floor. Sam Conley and Jake Whitlock are lockdown defenders. Guarding the best players on opposing teams as freshmen. That's a tall order. Guys that are great scorers are nice, but give me the guys that can do it on both ends. I don't know how good Niece is on the defensive end.

Another player I haven't seen is Cole Kighlinger of Williamstown. The Demons haven't posted updated stats in forever, but he averaged 11 points per game in his last two outings where they did post the stats. Thoughts on this kid?

??

CM

Really talented kid who, understandably, is having trouble finding his confidence in a rough season. One to keep an eye on for sure.

The million dollar question. Will he stay at WTown if he is really good?

That’s between Cole and his parents.

I could definitely see a situation where he and Aiden Johnson(2022) lead the turnaround over the next three and a half years. Lots of bumps in that road, but probably worth it for his development as a player and a leader.