BluegrassPreps.com 11th Region Week 3 Recap and Rankings

We are a quarter of the way through the season in the 11th Region and the cream has begun to rise to the top!! Lots to discuss this week as we get ready for some upcoming Christmas tournaments as well!!

Team of the Week

Bryan Station - For the second time in 3 weeks the Defenders take home the team of the week, and rightfully so!! Station Nation finished the week 5-0 and took home the championship trophy from the Berea Invitational. Congrats to the Defenders.

Player of the Week

Jared Gadd - Paul Laurence Dunbar Gadd has an impressive week averaging 17.1 points per game in 3 games for the Bulldogs including 22 points in a win over LCA. Congrats to Jared!

Team Rankings

1. Scott County (6-0) - The Cardinals remain at the top spot after going 2-0 this week with wins over Lexington Catholic and Trinity Grammar School of Australia. Another big week for the Cardinals as they host a really good Lafayette team and undefeated Waggener. Should be two good tests for Coach Hicks' squad. After Christmas the Cardinals head to South Carolina for the Beach Ball Classic.

2. Bryan Station (10-0) - The Defenders had a HUGE week. They finished the week 5-0 but the biggest win came over Madison Central in the Berea Invitational Tournament. Eric "Boss" Boone was named the MVP of the tournament and Terrance Clayton-Murphy and Jalen Burbage were also on the all tournament team. Boone is making an early season case for 11th Region Player of the Year. The Defenders are off until after Christmas when they head to Lexington Catholic for the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic.

3. Madison Central (7-1) - The Indians dropped their first game of the season this past week to Bryan Station. However they did collect 3 wins on the week. Up next Madison Central heads to Casey County and then takes on Floyd Central at Rowan County. Expect the Indians to pick up 2 wins this week.

4. Lafayette (5-1) - The Generals picked up 2 big wins this past week against fellow Lexington foes Frederick Douglass and Tates Creek. The Generals have been playing very well as of late and look to continue that this week as they head to Scott County and then play in Henry Clay's Christmas tournament. Lafayette could jump up to the top 2 with a win at Scott County.

5. Lexington Catholic (5-2) - The Knights started off the week with a loss at Scott County but bounced back nicely with a win over Clay County. Zan Payne continues to dominate down low for Lex Cath. Up next the Knights head to the Swauger Holiday Classic hosted by Bellevue where they matchup with Newport in the first round. I expect the Knights to win this tournament.

6. Henry Clay (4-1) - The Blue Devils maintain their spot from a week ago with two solid wins over Eastern and Paris on the road this past week. Keaston Brown continues to pace Henry Clay. Up next the Blue Devils host their own Christmas tournament where they open up with Garrard County.

7. Lexington Christian (3-3) - Are the Eagles the 7th best team in the Region? No! Are they playing like it right now? Yes! Without a healthy Kyle Rode the Eagles fell at home to a struggling Paul Laurence Dunbar team early in the week. They did bounce back nicely with a win at Boyle County. Hopefully Rode is back soon for the Eagles as they open up play this week at the King of the Bluegrass where no games are easy!!

8. Woodford County (6-1) - The Yellow Jackets dropped their first game of the season this past week to George Rogers Clark but bounced back nicely with a big win at Tates Creek to end the week. Up next Woodford County hosts their own Christmas tournament where they open up with Atherton.

9. Frankfort (4-2) - The Panthers picked up 2 big district wins this week over Western Hills and Franklin County. John Tillman and Juanya Frank continue to lead the Panthers. Up next Frankfort travels to Boyle County and hosts Boone County to end the week.

10. Frederick Douglass (2-4) - The Broncos dropped two games to city opponents this week and continue to try and find their way. I do believe this team has some talent just haven't meshed yet and while ranking them 10th may seem high I do think they are better then the teams below them. Up next Frederick Douglass heads to the Woodford County Invitational where they open up with Shelby County.

11. Paul Laurence Dunbar (1-6) - The Bulldogs picked up their first win of the season this past week over LCA but then dropped 2 at Pikeville and Boyd County. Jarred Gadd has been playing well for Dunbar lately and will need to continue that to help turn the season around. The Bulldogs do not play again until after Christmas when they travel to Lexington Catholic and the Traditional Bank Holiday Classic.

12. Madison Southern (3-5) - The Eagles finished the week 2-2 at the Berea Invitational Tournament and continue to improve. Shawn Short is playing well for Madison Southern. Up next they head to Bourbon County then to Rowan County for the Kentucky Bank Challenge.

13. Tates Creek (1-5) - The Commodores continue to struggle early in the season. This past week they dropped 2 games that were never close to Lafayette and Woodford County. Next, Tates Creek heads to the Woodford County Invitational Tounament where they face off with Danville in the 1st round.

14. Franklin County (2-5) - The Flyers had a tough week dropping two games to Nelson County and Frankfort High. Up next FC hosts Eastern and then plays Estill County at Rowan County.

15. Model (8-0) - Have to move the Patriots up this week after being 8-0. The schedule might not be the best but they are beating who they are playing! Up next the Patriots head to the Beth Haven Holiday Classic where they open with Eminence.

16. Sayre (2-4) - The Spartans dropped two tough games this past week but against solid competition. The KHSAA website does not have Sayre playing again until after the New Year.

17. Western Hills (3-4) - The Wolverines are another team who I can't really tell where to rank them. All their wins are against very bad competition and they've lost both district games they've played by double digits. Up next they head to Danville.

18. Berea (7-2) - The Pirates finished runner up in their holiday tournament this past week but didn't really play anyone worth noting to get there. Only one game this week as they head to Owsley County.

Games of the Week

Monday Dec. 18

Lafayette @ Scott County

Tuesday Dec. 19

Waggener @ Scott County

Way too many Christmas Tournament games to list late in the week!!

Great write-up as always!:thumb:

Can't disagree with your ranking, some teams are playing well, and some are fighting injuries early, so things will be in constant motion in the 11th for sure.

I might have been alone in my thinking, but I really didn't expect Byran Station to be the team they are. They are going to be a very tough out because of the style of ball they play. It is very disruptive and choppy, and they can really mess up the flow of the other team on the offensive end. Boone is having a GREAT season to date and if he continues they could be fighting to get out of the region at year end.

Scott is still the favorite, I would agree, and my Indians I believe will also be there in the end. They are playing in the Lexington Christmas tourney and have a chance to play Cooper in an early round match up if they both win. We play Bryan Station again on Jan 4th in Lexington, so if will be interesting to see the adjustments Feldhaus makes for that game.

Again, great job and looking forward to the season unwinding.