Proposed 16 Team College Football Playoff

CincySportsFan

While the current 4 team playoff is certainly better than previously taking just the top 2, I think there's still room to improve. I know many will say it just needs to go to 8...take the Power 5 conference champs, and add 3 at large berths. But, it doesn't allow for non-Power 5 teams a chance to compete. I want a National Championship to cover the entire nation (at least as far as the FBS teams are concerned.) And let's face it, the big boys aren't going to schedule the little guys...there's nothing in it for them. And without a quality win over them, the little guys are not going to get enough respect to make it high enough to get one of the three at-large berths.

Here is the best solution that I have heard to correct that issue, as well as a few others:

* All 10 FBS conference champions get an automatic bid (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, along with MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, American Athletic, and Conference USA)

* 6 At-large berths are then awarded (based upon the end of season rankings.)

* The 16 teams are then seeded (and just because a team is conference champ, does not necessarily mean they are a higher seed than an at-large team)

* The first two rounds are played on campus, using the higher seed as the host (eliminating travel for half of the teams)

* The semi-finals and finals would rotate amongst three bowl sites.

So, what would it look like this year? I've used the last playoff rankings to get the at-large berths, getting: Alabama, Wisconsin, Auburn, Penn State, Miami and Washington.

And, using the same playoff rankings to determine the seedings, here's what the bracket would look like...

16 Team Playoff Format.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if you want to put UCF in a 16 team playoff, I would even be ok with it if it was an 8 team playoff. But to put all group of 5 conference champs in is an utter waste of time. Do you really want to see Alabama/ Boise State or Oklahoma/ Toledo? The only intriguing matchup in that scenario is USC / Penn State. 1 non P5 is ok. 5 is a complete waste of time.

And before somebody dismisses having the smaller teams, here's what those four did during the regular season:

Florida Atlantic lost to Wisconsin 31-14

Boise State loast to Washington St. 47-44

Toledo lost to Miami 52-30

Troy beat LSU 24-21

Did they beat the cream of the cream? No. Would there be a high chance of them winning the entire thing? Again, no. But, I'd love to see those teams play with nothing to lose. Empty the playbook. I think it'd make for some potentially great fun.

And yet we still have four 1/16 matchups in basketball. Four.

And still for however many years the Tournament has been going on a 16 seed has never upset a 1 seed. Basketball is a completely different sport as well. You can have a team get hot shooting the ball and win. You can't "get hot" in football without somewhat comparable talent. They are simply bigger, stronger, faster than the non P5 teams and the starters would be out of the game in the 2nd quarter. It's a complete waste of time.

And still for however many years the Tournament has been going on a 16 seed has never upset a 1 seed. Basketball is a completely different sport as well. You can have a team get hot shooting the ball and win. You can't "get hot" in football without somewhat comparable talent. They are simply bigger, stronger, faster than the non P5 teams and the starters would be out of the game in the 2nd quarter. It's a complete waste of time.

I know we'll disagree on this, but I'll make this point. Nobody on God's green earth believes Iowa should've beat Ohio State this year...yet it happened. If they played 99 other times, perhaps the Buckeyes win. Maybe the #1 seed does go undefeated, like they have in basketball. But there have been several #2's that have gone down, and numerous other "top" teams. Yes, other teams can get "hot" in basketball. But some times it's because they're good (not necessarily great, but good) and they catch the other team on the wrong day. I think that could happen in football too. (Think Boise State vs. Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl a decade ago.

I don't care if you want to put UCF in a 16 team playoff, I would even be ok with it if it was an 8 team playoff. But to put all group of 5 conference champs in is an utter waste of time. Do you really want to see Alabama/ Boise State or Oklahoma/ Toledo? The only intriguing matchup in that scenario is USC / Penn State. 1 non P5 is ok. 5 is a complete waste of time.

Do we really want to see Duke/ Hampton during March Madness? Or NKU/ UK ? Seems like most of the country says "yes." Whether that translates to football, I don't know. I wouldn't mind an 8 , or even 16- team field.

I know we'll disagree on this, but I'll make this point. Nobody on God's green earth believes Iowa should've beat Ohio State this year...yet it happened. If they played 99 other times, perhaps the Buckeyes win. Maybe the #1 seed does go undefeated, like they have in basketball. But there have been several #2's that have gone down, and numerous other "top" teams. Yes, other teams can get "hot" in basketball. But some times it's because they're good (not necessarily great, but good) and they catch the other team on the wrong day. I think that could happen in football too. (Think Boise State vs. Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl a decade ago.

Iowa would go undefeated in every single non P5 conference. The talent gap is just too large. Every couple of years you'll have 1 team who has athletes and have put together good recruiting classes like Houston did last year and you can compete with the big boys. But that's the exception and not the rule. No more than 1 team every year is capable of making it a game with the big boys.

Do we really want to see Duke/ Hampton during March Madness? Or NKU/ UK ? Seems like most of the country says "yes." Whether that translates to football, I don't know. I wouldn't mind an 8 , or even 16- team field.

I think you're wrong about that. I don't think the country cares about Duke/ Hampton or UK/NKU unless there is an upset and it messes up their bracket. So no, I don't think people care about those games other than from a superficial aspect of caring about their brackets.