Bring on the Robots?

ManOfTroy

The home plate umpire was awful in ALCS Game 6 and the guy tonight has already made one brutal call. For balls and strikes, would you like to see them call it by computer? The only issue I would see is adjusting the strike zone for each batter up and down but they have the technology to track the pitch and place it instantaneously, so why not use it? In such big game, it's frustrating seeing at bats altered by a bad call. Todd Frazier was 0-1 and took a pitch that was six inches low that was called a strike. Instead of 1-1, it's 0-2. Last night's ump was so inconsistent it was a joke.

NO. Don't take the human element out. This is not a video game, it's played by real humans and officiated by real humans. Both groups have flaws and the beauty of it is dealing with those flaws, IMO.

I get that people have flaws. But in a sport where we already have review in an effort to get the call right, why folks are against getting the ball/strike call right every time, is just baffling to me. Balls and strikes have such a big impact on the game, and we have the ability to get those calls correct, every pitch. Every one complains endlessly about balls and strikes. Let's take that complaint out of the game.

I get that people have flaws. But in a sport where we already have review in an effort to get the call right, why folks are against getting the ball/strike call right every time, is just baffling to me. Balls and strikes have such a big impact on the game, and we have the ability to get those calls correct, every pitch. Every one complains endlessly about balls and strikes. Let's take that complaint out of the game.

In my opinion, once you have a robot official, it's now just a video game. And then where does it stop? Of course every ump's strike zone is different, every batter's zone is different. You learn to adjust, which I was always taught was part of the game. Not every ball, bat, glove, field dimension is the same. And yeah, baseball uses "review" which is BRUTAL to the continuity of the game sometimes.