Notre Dame Academy 4 Highlands 1

Wildcat20

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDA dominated this game for the better part of 70 minutes. HHS gets their lone goal in the first half off a ball played sky high that skims the cross bar on the way down and lands a yard or two in front of the goal where an unmarked Deckert for HHS knocks it into the back of the net, 1-0 at the half. NDA's first goal is off a well taken corner kick to the near post that beats the keeper, didn't see or hear who got credit for this goal. NDA's second goal is way of a PK, third from a beautifully struck free kick from about 25+ yards out, 2nd and 3rd goals by Wilhoite, best player on the field last night by far. Did not see the 4th goal. Nice size crowd and atmosphere at Tower Park.

The rubber match, assuming they meet again in Regionals, should be interesting.

NDA dominated this game for the better part of 70 minutes. HHS gets their lone goal in the first half off a ball played sky high that skims the cross bar on the way down and lands a yard or two in front of the goal where an unmarked Deckert for HHS knocks it into the back of the net, 1-0 at the half. NDA's first goal is off a well taken corner kick to the near post that beats the keeper, didn't see or hear who got credit for this goal. NDA's second goal is way of a PK, third from a beautifully struck free kick from about 25+ yards out, 2nd and 3rd goals by Wilhoite, best player on the field last night by far. Did not see the 4th goal. Nice size crowd and atmosphere at Tower Park.

The rubber match, assuming they meet again in Regionals, should be interesting.

That was a very nice summary, thank you @that's what she said

The PK awarded leaves me questioning. Are all defensive fouls in the box awarded a PK? The offensive player was very near the top of the box and moving away from the goal. There were plenty of defenders between the offensive player and the goal also. But, if all defensive fouls in the box are a PK then it was a good call.

Yes all defense fouls committed in the penalty area result in a PK attempt awarded to the offensive team. Sometimes when the foul is committed very close to the edge of the penalty area the ref will call the foul but not award a PK, instead awarding a free kick just outside the area, by doing so he "indicates" he saw the foul being committed just outside the area.

As you describe it accurately, I thought the call in the NDA/HHS game was a good call. Who's to say without the foul the offensive player turns and makes a great shot on goal or a great pass that leads to a goal. It is not the ref's responsibility to evaluate the future before making his call. It was a clear foul committed inside the area. Defensive players need to know where they are on the field and be a bit less aggressive inside the area. In this case the defensive player had her (offensive player) contained and dribbling away from goal, she simply became inpatient and a bit over aggressive and committed the foul.

I was at this game and have a little different point of view. Hats off to ND on the victory but as far as 70% dominating I disagree. When Highlands was up 1-0 Meyer had a clear shot on a beautiful pass from Deckert that went off the top cross bar. Would've given Highlands a 2-0 advantage and I feel would've made for a different outcome of the game.....As far as the pk, I didn't think it was a good call. The same thing happened earlier against ND and it wasn't called. Would like to see the difference on the fouls on film. Also, Highlands had a lot of missed opportunities for goals. Will be a great rematch down the road.

I disagree with the "70% dominating" comment as well. There were many times in the game when HHS controlled the ball and advanced well into the final third. There were some bad breaks/bounces for the Birds that resulted in the lopsided score. The key was finishing in the final third. HHS did not finish well. This may be a result of the NDA defense but I do think HHS can work this out in the coming weeks. Really NDA got one a penalty, one on a corner that may have been an own goal, the laser direct kick (which was awesome) and then one that the NDA player actually beat HHS defense. NDA did not dominate and is fortunate to come away with the victory.

I stand by my 70 minutes comment and it is a round number, maybe 68 minutes, 71... I never said HHS wasn't dangerous, in their 10-12 minutes they had good chances, on one particular shot the NDA keep had to come up big and she did. And don't forget the HHS keeper came up big a couple of times also. And sure if HHS goes up 2-0 it may well have been a different game, but that can be said of a ton of games played between two good teams, "If we had only scored that second goal it would have been a different game", "If only we had not given up that PK goal it would have been a different game."

Did get a chuckle reading this,

"Really NDA got one a penalty, one on a corner that may have been an own goal, the laser direct kick (which was awesome) and then one that the NDA player actually beat HHS defense. NDA did not dominate and is fortunate to come away with the victory."

The penalty was a foul in the box and a well struck PK, no gift there. Corner kick was well hit and to a great spot, own goal or not, not a gift. The 3rd was "awesome" and 4th "NDA player actually beat the HHS defense", no gifts there. Not sure how this equates to "fortunate to come away with the victory."

That being said, "The rubber match, assuming they meet again in Regionals, should be interesting."