Three teams that won't make the playoffs (and may have expected to)

Jim Schue

Bengals, Giants and Seahawks. What's the common denominator? Horrendous O-line play.

In a best-case scenario, Seattle could make the playoffs on the strength of their defense, as long as Russell Wilson stays healthy. I'm thinking he's going to be lucky to make it past Week 6 without being decapitated. There are no best-case scenarios for the other two, unless you call 6-10 a positive.

Teams that don't invest, or disinvest from their O-lines are doomed for failure, since those big fellahs are in charge of protecting the franchise meal ticket.

Bengals, Giants and Seahawks. What's the common denominator? Horrendous O-line play.

In a best-case scenario, Seattle could make the playoffs on the strength of their defense, as long as Russell Wilson stays healthy. I'm thinking he's going to be lucky to make it past Week 6 without being decapitated. There are no best-case scenarios for the other two, unless you call 6-10 a positive.

Teams that don't invest, or disinvest from their O-lines are doomed for failure, since those big fellahs are in charge of protecting the franchise meal ticket.

That's the thing people act like the Bengals didn't invest in their line. They did they just used a 1st round and 2nd pick on tackles. This year was a weak draft for lineman so there was no reason to reach for a lineman just because for the sake of getting a lineman. When they didn't reach two years ago and they still don't look like they worked out.

I agree line play is huge in the success. However the Bengals did invest in it, and planned ahead for it. Their tackles didn't pan out or coaching hasn't been good. I think the Bengals line coach has not adjusted well to the new type of lineman coming out of college. I think that is one of the big problems.

That's the thing people act like the Bengals didn't invest in their line. They did they just used a 1st round and 2nd pick on tackles. This year was a weak draft for lineman so there was no reason to reach for a lineman just because for the sake of getting a lineman. When they didn't reach two years ago and they still don't look like they worked out.

I agree line play is huge in the success. However the Bengals did invest in it, and planned ahead for it. Their tackles didn't pan out or coaching hasn't been good. I think the Bengals line coach has not adjusted well to the new type of lineman coming out of college. I think that is one of the big problems.

I tend to agree here... I'd love to see the Bengals get a new O-line coach too

The Seahawks will make the playoffs. The NFC West is atrocious. They have 6 guaranteed wins right there.

The nfc west teams always give them troubles no matter how bad the teams are. Even the horrible rams usually gave Seattle all the could handle and beat them a few times the last few years.

Fair cop. How about "teams that don't invest wisely …"

The nfc west teams always give them troubles no matter how bad the teams are. Even the horrible rams usually gave Seattle all the could handle and beat them a few times the last few years.

Ok so maybe one team gets a division win against them. They still have 5 wins in the division. 9-7 wins this division and maybe even 8-8. Still a playoff team.

Ok so maybe one team gets a division win against them. They still have 5 wins in the division. 9-7 wins this division and maybe even 8-8. Still a playoff team.

The 49ers nearly beat them at Seattle, one of the toughest places to get a road win. And again, I think Wilson will go down at some point soon because they can't protect him, and he'll end up with an RGIII-type injury where he gets nailed trying to do too much. They're a 6-10 team in the making and I could totally see the NFC West champ qualify for playoffs with a 7-9 record.

The 49ers nearly beat them at Seattle, one of the toughest places to get a road win. And again, I think Wilson will go down at some point soon because they can't protect him, and he'll end up with an RGIII-type injury where he gets nailed trying to do too much. They're a 6-10 team in the making and I could totally see the NFC West champ qualify for playoffs with a 7-9 record.

If I remember correctly the offense last year started slow for Seattle too and then they started to get it going. They had a bad like last year too. I see more of 10 and 6.

Seattle's offensive line is a joke, and it's primarily because most of the money goes to the defensive side. Tom Cable seems to like projects, and it's killing me.

I think they'll make the playoffs, though. Homerism aside, they typically start slow and get better as the season goes on. I'm hoping this year will be more of the same. But I've been a little worried with the way the first two weeks have gone, and expect a loss in Nashville Sunday.

If I remember correctly the offense last year started slow for Seattle too and then they started to get it going. They had a bad like last year too. I see more of 10 and 6.

I recognize that part of the typical slow start. But hell, George Fant isn't even available, which makes you wonder what barrel-bottom Seattle is scraping for O-line help, given the fact that an ex-NCAA D-I power forward managed to be a starter last year for them. I just don't see Wilson surviving this season past Week 6.