2A Game of the Week: Owensboro Catholic vs. Reitz (IN)

Who gets the win?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

• Owensboro Catholic Aces
    • Evansville Reitz Panthers

Week 0 reaffirmed what many of us already believed... class 2A is LOADED at the top. And there appears to be but a sliver of separation amongst the top 5. Danville, CAL, LCA, DeSales, and Mayfield all logged impressive season opening wins.

Owensboro Catholic sits just outside of that quintet after a closer-than-expected 33-31 win over Daviess County. The Aces fell behind early and trailed by 10 at the half. A strong 3rd quarter put OCath ahead by a TD before Daviess County answered with a score midway through the 4th. A failed 2 pt conversion allowed Owensboro Catholic to maintain a slim lead and eventually hold on for the win.

Falling behind by multiple scores this week might prove too big of a hole to dig out of as the Aces welcome in a strong Evansville Reitz squad from the Hoosier state.

The Reitz Panthers are 108-21 over the past decade, including a pair of unbeaten state title teams. Last season, they finished 11-2, falling short in a regional championship game. 5th year coach Andy Hape has a very deep and talented roster of 100+ at his disposal. Reitz returns over 2,000 yards and a combined 43 TDs from last year's backfield, including 1,000 yard rusher Da'ziaun Sargent. The defense should be among the best in Indiana with several starters back from a unit that surrendered 14 ppg in 2016. Chief among them are LBer Joey Diekmann (2016 Evansville All-Metro POY) and CB Isaiah Dunham, a Yale commit, who also doubles as the top WR. The Panthers blew out Henderson County 41-0 on Friday and currently sit at #2 in Indiana's class 4A, according to both the AP and Coaches polls.

Owensboro Catholic QB Will Warren will likely need to improve upon his 24/39, 247 yards, and 3 TDs from last week. I look for RB Vonn Williams to make a greater impact on this game after being limited to just 47 yards on 14 carries against Daviess County. The OL will need to show significant improvement from their Week 0 performance. Same goes for the entire defense.

This is exactly the type of game that OCath needs if they want to prove that they belong amongst the cream of 2A. A win here could elevate the Aces to that top line with the Ads, Centurions, Eagles, Colts, and Cardinals.

The opportunity is there. Can Owensboro Catholic seize it?

Won't be much of a game unless OC plays much better this week. Henderson did have two chances to score but dropped both passes. So a little good news if Reitz has a weakness their pass Defense isn't great. I think Reitz wins 42-14. Watch the big lineman up front you won't miss him he is a man. I believe going to Yale.

This match-up is one of the weekend's marquee games featuring Kentucky vs. an out-of-state opponent. We went a combined 13-3 in such games last weekend.

If I have to choose, I'm picking Reitz to win this one. Hope I'm wrong, though. The Panthers just look a little too good on paper heading into this game.

This match-up is one of the weekend's marquee games featuring Kentucky vs. an out-of-state opponent. We went a combined 13-3 in such games last weekend.

If I have to choose, I'm picking Reitz to win this one. Hope I'm wrong, though. The Panthers just look a little too good on paper heading into this game.

Should be an interesting matchup now that OC has 2 OL back from injuries and a LB

back from previous year ejection. Reitz definetley has the edge with the size and speed. However, the game is played in Owensboro. If OC can protect Warren and get Von loose on offense. The good thing about Reitz is their strength is OC strength on D, up front. Catholic front 7 is good. Secondary has a lot to prove this week. Good thing for OC is Reitz does not throw the ball alot.

I'm picking Reitz to win this one.. Just too many kids, better depth, better size and overall better talent... I do think OB Catholic will score some points here and likely keep it closer than they probably should.. I think we're looking at a 42-21 type score, imo..

Tough matchup for Catholic. Even if they bounce back and play their best, beating Reitz is going to be a very tall order. If the Aces can keep it within a few scores, it will be a win. Ill be watching Catholic's OL as much as the scoreboard in this one. The guys up front are going to have to be much better up front, not only this week, but in weeks to come. Ill take Reitz in this one...

46-28 Panthers

I think this is also a tough matchup for Catholic. But the one upside I can see is that this game is in Week #2 and not Week #1. For some reason they always seem to struggle a little in the first games of the year (ex: Mater Dei last year) then turn it on. I think it gives Edge an idea of who can really compete at what spots with only a few starters returning on each side of the ball.

Reitz is a big, strong, physical and fundamental football team. I don't see them making too many mistakes against Catholic. But I also see that Catholic might have enough playmakers to keep this one interesting. I see this one being close going into the 4th quarter and whichever team can implement the most success with their style (Reitz running and OC uptempo spread) to come out victorious.