Border wall could be major ecological threat.

@mountain ref, I thought you might want to see this.

Yes I hate this. But if these animals are in America some dumb idiot will shot them anyway. Probably safer in Mexico. I think there is only 1 Jag in America left, (Ariz).

The Only Known Jaguar in America Was Finally Caught on Video

|

Smart News | Smithsonian

If the Mexicans could fix the immigration problem then no need for the wall.

Well that didn't take long....if you didn't see the ecological angle coming take those blinders off.

Every action has a trade off, in this case, the eco scientists are speculating that a barrier will do irreparable harm. While it's likely to change the patterns of the wildlife, it's not anything different than we have been doing for the 200+ years the white man has been on this ground.

The damage done to our internal US systems is much greater than the risk of some animals being displaced

It is a miracle that the human race survived after the Great Wall of China was built. I can see that a wall, estimated to be a fraction of the Great Wall, could mean the end to life as we know it.

I'm off to hug a tree while still possible

I know that there is much more science behind it, but seems goofy to include birds in that group of animals that would be affected.

:lol2:

I was wondering that too. From the article.

Flying animals like birds and insects won’t be able to simply soar above the great wall, either. If the barrier is lit, migrating flying creatures—birds and insects alike—could be thrown off course, their star-based navigation jammed. The walls currently standing along portions of the border have also already damaged waterways, which disrupts migratory birds, said Misztal.

Only somewhat flippant, but that is due to my disdain for the subject.

I will admit that the wall would cause some ecological issues, but hardly disaster, to the animals identified in the story. I feel that not building a wall is an ecological disaster for a different target, with the individual American as the victim. Allowing the re-introduction of disease to a community, which had worked to eradicate/eliminate/reduce that disease, is far greater a threat than the breeding limitations to a pack of wild dogs.

I will fight for community, rather than a few species that can adapt to change. Or was Darwin wrong?

Only somewhat flippant, but that is due to my disdain for the subject.

I will admit that the wall would cause some ecological issues, but hardly disaster, to the animals identified in the story. I feel that not building a wall is an ecological disaster for a different target, with the individual American as the victim. Allowing the re-introduction of disease to a community, which had worked to eradicate/eliminate/reduce that disease, is far greater a threat than the breeding limitations to a pack of wild dogs.

I will fight for community, rather than a few species that can adapt to change. Or was Darwin wrong?

You're going to have to help me out here...