The Earth is Actually TWO Planets !!!

Science Friction

The giant impact hypothesis -- the popular belief that a "planetary embryo" called Theia collided with Earth some 4.5 billion years ago, leading to the formation of our planet's moon -- has been around for a while.

But a NASA-funded research team has added an amazing new twist to the idea; that Earth wasn't just sideswiped by Theia, as many have conjectured, but sustained a direct hit and actually absorbed a large portion of the rogue planet.

In other words, Earth is made up of two fused planets -- Earth and Theia -- the study suggests.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/earth-two-planets_us_56b280dde4b01d80b2450fd2

The giant impact hypothesis -- the popular belief that a "planetary embryo" called Theia collided with Earth some 4.5 billion years ago, leading to the formation of our planet's moon -- has been around for a while.

But a NASA-funded research team has added an amazing new twist to the idea; that Earth wasn't just sideswiped by Theia, as many have conjectured, but sustained a direct hit and actually absorbed a large portion of the rogue planet.

In other words, Earth is made up of two fused planets -- Earth and Theia -- the study suggests.

Earth Is Actually TWO Planets, Study Finds

Most of what I have watched suggested more than a sideswipe. And either way the heavy elements got together with the heavies.

It fascinates me when people try to theorize on what happened 4 billion years ago. Really? I appreciate that these guys are brilliant scientist but really? Am I supposed to believe that they have any clue on what happened 4 billion years ago?

The problem with hit by another planet scenario is that spin off enough material for the moon to form the spin rate would so high that to get to where we are today a counter directional strike would needed.

How do you believe present day Earth formed?

How do you believe present day Earth formed?

Earth or moon or both?

The article relies on oxygen content being the same. From there they dismiss one of the theories of a glancing blow and say that Earth must have swallowed the colliding planet since this one parameter is so identical.

In mathematical curve fitting, that is like taking 3 data points deciding they fit a 5th order polynomial equation. You may be right, but 100,000 other equations fit those data points.

The Moon is a unique entity, very unique. Hence why science keeps trying to explain it. Its too big to be a captured satellite. It has birthmarks, as here, that show it and Earth are related. It really creates of a bi-planet system with earth due to its relative size that is unique in the solar-system.