Victor Anderson

xtiger

I met Vic for the first time ending the opening week of practice during his Freshman year. I have always been a big believer of first impressions in reading people and must admit that in this case I did not have high hopes of watching him in a Tiger uniform for 4 years. While not disrespectful, he was intentionally aloof toward adults to say the least and I came away from our first conversation personally insulted after getting a cold response when I attempted to break common ground for discussion by mentioning that one of his family members and I shared some pretty close mutual friends. He appeared mostly self-absorbed and I remember telling my son on the way home that evening “I don’t care how good he is, there is no way that attitude will make it at St. X”. When Vic’s closest boyhood friend was removed from St. X for disciplinary reasons, I felt confident that Vic would be close behind in exiting the campus. Four years and four months later, I am glad to say I was wrong about my prediction.

Trying to produce a 6-8 minute highlight film of Vic’s football career at St. X for colleges would be a nightmare because he produced countless hours of scenes to pick from on the field that have electrified both fans and opponents. I will be the first to say that with the “ups” in the Vic era have also come periodic “downs” with some antics and drama that I have been a critic of privately. The yellow cleats, fake casts, practice tirades, periodic pouts as an underclassman, etc. are just a few examples that come to mind. For every one of these negative memories comes many positive ones of watching Vic’s endless sideline support of the Frosh & JV football teams during his 3 years of Varsity play. The same can be said for many other St. X activities/sporting events-if there is a competition of most any type, he has been there cheering on his fellow Tigers.

What I think I’ll remember and cherish the most about Vic is something that I unfortunately did not witness with my own eyes-I had to hear about it from my daughter the next morning. Those that have been around Tigerland for awhile have I’m sure run across or seen a young man with down’s syndrome wearing a #3 jersey attending most every game either in the endzone or on the sidelines at Manual stadium. Over the years, I have became very familiar with this young man at church, working at the grocery where I shop and at St. X games. Bar none, this young man is Victor Anderson’s #1 fan and apparently noone took Friday’s loss to the Dawgs any harder. My daughter informed me that after the teams shook hands and met with their respective coaches, Vic sought out this young man and hugged and consoled him for an extended period of time while he continued to bawl his eyes out over the loss and never getting to watch #3 in a Tiger uniform again. There is no way the boy I met over 4 years ago would have taken the time or made the effort to show this type of compassion for another individual-let alone minutes after his HS career came to an end that he wasn’t in favor of.

The TEAM concept is one of the big items that sold me on St. X for my son and I rarely like extensive recognition of individuals in a game like football. That being said I think this individual deserves an exception. To Vic, congrats on a great four years and thanks for the numerous football memories but thanks more than anything for growing up and turning into a better human being under the teachings of Coach Glaser and the St. X staff. Good luck at the next level, even if you don’t end up a Cardinal:D , and I hope you keep following the path to success that you are on. Again, I'm glad you proved my prediction wrong.

I have a question. I heard on talk radio, that Victor Anderson was a guest recruit at the U of L game vs West Virginia game. It was the black out game and I heard he wore all white. Is this true?

Possibly, he has committed to WVU hasn't he.

I have a question. I heard on talk radio, that Victor Anderson was a guest recruit at the U of L game vs West Virginia game. It was the black out game and I heard he wore all white. Is this true?

I don't know if he was a guest of UL or not but I did walk past him coming down FLoyd St that day and he was dressed in ALL WHITE. I would hope if he was a guest of UL, he wouldn't do that but then again who would have thought he would wear neon yellow shoes the first game of the playoffs while his teammates were in black.

Xtiger, there has been a decline in the frequency of your posts on this board, and BGP is poorer for it. Indeed, your daughter was correct. I was there to witness this poignant moment, watching Vic console the heartbroken fan with downs syndrome . Vic also walked the sidelines at the game's end, shaking hands and hugging players and coaches.

Sure there have been periodic “downs” with some antics and drama. How unlike a teenager. On the other hand, if any senior in this year's class spent more time at St. X functions and activities, I would like to meet him. I have also observed him around children and watched him brighten their day by laughing and talking to them. He made great strides in his journey from his early teen years to early manhood. As to his football prowess, meteors this bright don't flash by often.

I, too, witnessned this. This, special needs young man was kneeling down mid-field, distraught. Vic approched him, helped him to his feet, and the two remained in a bear hug for 10 minutes. The next day, I told Vic I was very proud of him for consoling "Bryan" when I knew he (Vic), had to have felt so bad, himself, from the loss. Bryan had said to Vic "I'm going to miss you so much, Vic." to which Vic replied "I"m going to miss you too, Buddy. But I'll come back and see you, I promise."

When all Vic probably wanted to do was cry himslef (as did I), it took a tremendous amount of strength to put Bryan's needs first and an unbelievable spirit to be able to comfort someone else at that time. I found the moment heartwrenching but also uplifting. Vic has had a lot to adjust and juggle over the last few years and he has done so very well, especially considering he does not have the foundation and previous experiences to draw from, as most of our children have had. Vic is not perfect, none of us are, and sometimes his high spirit has gotten the best of him, but he has made the honor roll at St. X, 6 of the last 7 quarters, and is kind and generous and has had to endure a lot of unwarranted critisism. FYI, Vic gave away his cleats to kids who were asking for them on Little Tiger Night, this lead to the wearing of his yellow cleats (which he had gotten for soccer). BTW, he also gave away another pair of cleats, to requesting kids, his last game.

Xtiger, I'm glad your daughter was witnessed to this touching moment, and I hope we all can be inspired to reach out to others. Thank you for bringing it to this forum.

image002.jpg

• Like 1