16th Region Week 4 Review

Week 4 is now in the books. Ashland proved this week, not only are they at the top of the heap for the 16th region but they are able to play with good teams from other regions as well. Rowan County continued their winning ways as well. Outside of that, things are still a little jumbled. We look to get a little clearer picture over the next 10 days.

1) Ashland (Season: 12-0 This week: 3-0)

This week was a big week for Ashland. Ashland hosted and won the 65th Annual Ashland Invitational Tournament. This was quite a big accomplishment based upon the amount of talent in the tournament. Ashland had wins over Lawrence County, Warren Central, and Louisville Butler. Ashland is approaching one of the best starts in their storied history.

2) Rowan County (Season: 9-3 This week: 2-0)

Rowan County traveled to Freeport, FL to bring in the new year. They went 2-0 last week with victories over Winter Park, FL and Troy, AL. Both were low scoring games with Rowan scoring 43 in one game and 39 in the second. Rowan continues to play there this week with a game on the 30th and 31st.

3) Boyd County (Season: 6-6 This week: 1-2)

Boyd County spent the holidays close to home as they also participated in the Ashland Invitational. Boyd County started it out on the right foot with a win against Scott County. The ended the tournament with losses to Warren Central and Butler

4) Greenup County (Season: 8-2 This week: 2-0)

Greenup County hosted the Stultz Pharmacy Holiday Classic last week. Greenup went 2-0 at the classic with victories over Rockcastle and Portsmouth West (OH). It was much of the same for the Musketeers with Nelson and Dryden providing a one-two punch. Against Rockcastle, Dryden went for 27 points and 15 rebounds.

5) Raceland (Season: 8-2 This week: 1-1)

Raceland traveled to the Buckhorn Lake Christmas Classic last week. There were 1-1 while there. They played these games without one of the region’s top players, Kirk Pence. Kyle Broughton did his best to make up the difference averaging 14.5 points a game in the Classic. Raceland had a win against Lee County and a loss to Betsy Layne.

6) West Carter (Season: 4-6 This week: 1-2)

West Carter participated in the Mountain Schoolboy Classic last week. They were 1-2 for the week with a victory over Belfry and losses to Magoffin County and Shelby Valley. The Comets had a different leading scorer for each game. Webb (25), Leadingham (17), and Dean (17) each took a turn as leading scorer for the Comets

7) East Carter (Season: 5-5 This week: 1-1)

The Raiders visited Greenup for their Holiday tournament. They went 1-1 for the week. The Raiders lost to Rockcastle and recorded a victory against Portsmouth West (OH). The next 10 days should really show us who the Raiders are this year with scheduled games against Russell, Morgan, and West Carter.

8) Lewis County (Season: 3-9 This week: 0-3)

Lewis County participated in the Ashland Invitational this week. The Lions suffered losses to Warren Central, Lawrence County, and Christian County. This extends the Lions losing streak to 8 games. O’Keefe continued to be the leader on both ends of the court.

9) Russell (Season: 3-5 This week: 2-0)

Russell traveled to Pigeon Forge this week for the King of the Smokies tournament. Russell won over Copper Basin (TN) and Louisville Holy Cross. The impressive piece for the Devils was against Copper Basin, which was 8-1 going into the game, the Devils stingy defense only allowed 16 points in this game. Jadon Argo lead the Panthers in scoring 2 of the games with

10) Fleming County (Season: 4-6 This week: 0-3)

Fleming County went to Bath County for the Dan Swartz Classic. The Panthers were 0-3 at the Classic this year. They were handed defeats by Iroquis, Estill County, and Powell County. Dugan taking the honor in the 3rd.

11) Morgan County (Season: 4-7 This week: 2-0)

Morgan County participated in the Mountain Schoolboy Classic last week. They were 1-0 at the Classic with a victory over Sayre. The Cougars then had a road game at Fairview that they won in a lopsided way. Helton averages 27 points a game this week for the Cougars.

12) Elliott County (Season: 5-6 This week: 2-1)

Elliott County went 2-1 at Bath County’s Dan Swartz Classic last week. They recorded victories over Estill County and Shelby Valley and a loss to Iroquis

13) Bath County (Season: 5-8 This week: 2-1)

Bath County hosted the Dan Swartz Classic during week 4. It proved to be a good week for the Wildcats, going 2-1. They won against Powell County and Shelby County but had a loss to Iroquis in the championship game. Otis, Williams, and Brooks provided the scoring this week for the wildcats.

14) Fairview (Season: 3-7 This week: 0-2)

Fairview went 0-2 for the week with a home loss to Morgan County and a road loss to Dawson Bryant (OH). Johnson and Manning each took a turn leading the team in scoring with 13 points this week.

15) Menifee County (Season: 4-9 This week: 1-2)

Menifee County participated in the Dan Swartz Classic week 4. The Wildcats had losses to Shelby Valley and Estill County and a win over Powell County. Dalton Martin lead the way in scoring this week, averaging just over 22 points a game.

16) Rose Hill (Season: 2-8 This week: 0-1)

Rose Hill had 1 game during week 4, hosting Nicholas County. The Royals played well early, with good shooting. However things cooled off in the second half as Nicholas got the win.

A lot can happen between now and March, but Ashland looks like the heavy favorite in the 16th right now.

Mason Moore should have Rowan contending and Boyd County is always in the mix under Randy Anderson, but this is Ashland's region at the moment.

It does appear to be Ashland's to lose, but anything can happen in the tournament. Not sure I would have moved BC down a spot after losing to two really good Kentucky teams. But that's me basing that off from not knowing anything about the teams Rowan beat in Florida.

Boyd has a solid team, they're just a step behind Ashland in quickness and shooting ability.

I certainly understand the Rowan versus Boyd for #2. I may very well have been wrong to switch them. Time will tell. :) I think we will really start seeing some clarity over the next couple of weeks.

It's hard to rank basketball, particularly this early with lots of out of state games and not many inner region matchups to look at.

Boyd had a rough stretch in Vegas while Rowan went to Florida and came back with some wins. But we don't really know much about the competition in those games. What stands out to me the most between Boyd/Rowan at the moment is Boyd's 24 point win over Rowan. It was at Boyd, but 24 points isn't close enough that home court advantage meant much.

But you're right, the region "should' start to clear itself up soon.

It's hard to rank basketball, particularly this early with lots of out of state games and not many inner region matchups to look at.

Boyd had a rough stretch in Vegas while Rowan went to Florida and came back with some wins. But we don't really know much about the competition in those games. What stands out to me the most between Boyd/Rowan at the moment is Boyd's 24 point win over Rowan. It was at Boyd, but 24 points isn't close enough that home court advantage meant much.

But you're right, the region "should' start to clear itself up soon.

It would appear I had too much egg-nog and that slipped my memory. I think that certainly makes a difference. All things equal, I will fix it next week. Thanks

It would appear I had too much egg-nog and that slipped my memory. I think that certainly makes a difference. All things equal, I will fix it next week. Thanks

You could still be right by having Rowan number two, I just wouldn't have them there at the moment myself. That said, over the years I've seen 16th region teams win a home game by 20 then turn around and lose to the same team later in the regular season and then again in the regional tournament.

That's why I said the region "should" clear up a bit soon. That's not a guarentee though, some years you have a clear favorite then could essentially roll the dice to pick the next ten or so teams. I'd keep an eye on Greenup County, the Dryden kid is a matchup problem for most 16th region teams. They could very well be the number two team on a given night.

Very true statements. The Dryden kid seems to be the real deal. Have you seen him live yet? They have been in a steady climb up the rankings as they were first projected like 9-10.

I haven't seen him in person yet but from what I do know of him his size and athleticism will be a problem for most teams in the 16th. He's a rebounding machine and also has the ability to get some teams in foul trouble as well.

I haven't seen him in person yet but from what I do know of him his size and athleticism will be a problem for most teams in the 16th. He's a rebounding machine and also has the ability to get some teams in foul trouble as well.

Watched their game live last night on tv. I retract my statement that they could be number two. Unless they start playing Dryden down low on offense.

He played limited minutes last night due to the technical and other foul trouble. But from what I saw when he was in the game he spent most of his time on offense around the three point line and from what I can tell he's not that kind of player.