What are you spinning — Part 2

Jim Schue

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Often times I listen to this and think "man, this album was his masterpiece". Then I'll go back and listen to Born To Run and I realize that he wrote two... Still, I can't help but be moved by several of the songs on Nebraska. The title track is, in my mind, the definition of a "haunting" song - it tells the true story of Charles Starkweather's 1958 murder spree. "Highway Patrolman" somewhat summarizes for me what it is to struggle being a brother, and Sean Penn actually made an entire movie about the song. "Reason To Believe" reminds me somehow of Scout and Dill (To Kill A Mockingbird) if they were to be put to song. "My Father's House" has always struck me as some kind of dream that George Milton (Of Mice And Men) would have. Sheesh...what a crazy good album.

Nebraska.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Often times I listen to this and think "man, this album was his masterpiece". Then I'll go back and listen to Born To Run and I realize that he wrote two... Still, I can't help but be moved by several of the songs on Nebraska. The title track is, in my mind, the definition of a "haunting" song - it tells the true story of Charles Starkweather's 1958 murder spree. "Highway Patrolman" somewhat summarizes for me what it is to struggle being a brother, and Sean Penn actually made an entire movie about the song. "Reason To Believe" reminds me somehow of Scout and Dill (To Kill A Mockingbird) if they were to be put to song. "My Father's House" has always struck me as some kind of dream that George Milton (Of Mice And Men) would have. Sheesh...what a crazy good album.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36110[/ATTACH]

Ummmm ... three. Four if you want to count "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" along with "The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle" in with the two aforementioned ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm at one of the little regular local auctions last night and out comes a stack of old 78s. I'm a sucker for them - have hundreds at home. There's probably 40 or 50 in this stack. The lady holding up says that she can't read the labels; they're in Japanese.

I got the stack for three bucks; and indeed almost every one of them was Japanese. Most had familiar labels - Victrola, Columbia, etc. Some labels were unfamiliar to me. However; almost everything else on the labels was written in Japanese. A brief bit of research tells me that indeed; there were a bunch of these issued pre WWII.

One of them is an old Columbia blue wax - tough to find.

EBay; here we come.

So I'm at one of the little regular local auctions last night and out comes a stack of old 78s. I'm a sucker for them - have hundreds at home. There's probably 40 or 50 in this stack. The lady holding up says that she can't read the labels; they're in Japanese.

I got the stack for three bucks; and indeed almost every one of them was Japanese. Most had familiar labels - Victrola, Columbia, etc. Some labels were unfamiliar to me. However; almost everything else on the labels was written in Japanese. A brief bit of research tells me that indeed; there were a bunch of these issued pre WWII.

One of them is an old Columbia blue wax - tough to find.

EBay; here we come.

Nice...I hope you break the bank...:thumb: