• Seeded
    • Blind Draw

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 28th is a good example of why there should be seeding:

Ballard, Christian Academy-Louisville, Eastern, Kentucky Country Day and the Walden School...

The teams finishing 1-3 in this district currently get byes into the semifinals. A blind draw would not properly reward teams for a good season and could potentially pair the two best teams in an elimination game while the teams finishing 4-5 could potentially be matched against each other in a semi with the winner getting a bid to the regional tournament that they didn't earn.

Give them a chance for what? To make the region because of pure, dumb luck? Not me. If a team has worked their butt off during the regular season, they should be rewarded for it at the beginning of the postseason. Seed it.

I can see if both ways. If you go to or play for a small school I could see why you wouldn't want the seeded draw.

Whatever the decision is it should be the same for every district in the state. We should not have some that seed and some that draw! That is what is not fair. I can tell you sitting in a room waiting to draw the pill is extremely nerve wracking! The district meeting when seeding is pretty boring. Drawing generates excitement and gives everyone a chance. However, having bad teams in the regional tournament doesn't make for good basketball games at the regional tournament.

I can see if both ways. If you go to or play for a small school I could see why you wouldn't want the seeded draw.

Oh, I can certainly SEE why the small schools don't want it (seeding)...but, that doesn't make it right, IMO. Listen, they're already being given an "invitation" to the tournament (as everyone is allowed)...but, it doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to give them the best odds of advancing.

The absolute ONLY way I could be convinced that a blind draw would be okay, is that if ONLY the district winner advanced to the region. That's it. Then, it would be a situation of "to be the best, you have to beat the best". In other words, if the #2 team is going to have to beat the #1 team at some point in time, it won't matter (as much) if it's in the opening round, the semi-finals or the finals. Your weaker teams would eventually be weeded out, and not given a free pass like they are now.

And finally...if I'm the coach of a small school, or a player on a small school, and we HAVE a good team...that's when I WANT to be rewarded, and get that higher seed so there's not a dumb-luck draw that forces us out early. The blind draw can work for you, or against you.

Whatever the decision is it should be the same for every district in the state. We should not have some that seed and some that draw! That is what is not fair. I can tell you sitting in a room waiting to draw the pill is extremely nerve wracking! The district meeting when seeding is pretty boring. Drawing generates excitement and gives everyone a chance. However, having bad teams in the regional tournament doesn't make for good basketball games at the regional tournament.

So we want excitement in a meeting?!?!?!? Give me a good district finals. That's exciting.

I'm for seeding. If a small school has a better than ususal team, then just beat the powerhouses in the regular season. If they don't, I am not for "giving them a chance" with a draw. They still have a chance with a seed, they would just have to win to advance and not be placed in a favorable postion. The other issue that I have with a draw, is that it creates an advantage for whoever draws them in the regional. Pretty much a 1st round bye.