How do freshman officials get games?

Well you see you look at all of the referee test scores. You find the bottom 10% and send them to do freshman games. Every now and then there is a mix up and those officials will referee a JV game (that happened at W-Town yesterday). If those bottom 10% never improve, then they get sent to the 8th Region to officiate Varsity Games. :scared:

Edited by Grooms

Well you see you look at all of the referee test scores. You find the bottom 10% and send them to do freshman games. Every now and then there is a mix up and those officials will referee a JV game (that happened at W-Town yesterday). If those bottom 10% never improve, then they get sent to the 8th Region to officiate Varsity Games.

I don't think test scores have anything to do with it. Usually it's the new(er) officials who are assigned to do the younger levels. However, the newer the official, the lower their rule knowledge is. Still no excuse to not know rules when they're paid to enforce them. That being said, Bernie Jenkins is one of the finest assignors in the state. Yes, that's the 8th region, Greeny94.

I don't think test scores have anything to do with it. Usually it's the new(er) officials who are assigned to do the younger levels. However, the newer the official, the lower their rule knowledge is. Still no excuse to not know rules when they're paid to enforce them. That being said, Bernie Jenkins is one of the finest assignors in the state. Yes, that's the 8th region, Greeny94.

You are correct, Burney Jenkins is one of the finest assigners in the state. He even has 3 man crews working a lot of Freshman and JV games. And from my observations, I have seen many seasoned veteran varsity officials (one's who have worked the boys and girls State Tournaments the past few years) working some of these games. Some coaches are never satisified with what they get.

Well you see you look at all of the referee test scores. You find the bottom 10% and send them to do freshman games. Every now and then there is a mix up and those officials will referee a JV game (that happened at W-Town yesterday). If those bottom 10% never improve, then they get sent to the 8th Region to officiate Varsity Games. :scared:

That's a perfect place for them.:clap: You know I am only joking.

I have seen many seasoned veteran varsity officials (one's who have worked the boys and girls State Tournaments the past few years) working some of these games.

I'm not sure, but I think that all Varsity level officials are required to officiate at least one freshman game. I remember about five years ago I couldn't figure out why there was a varsity official at a freshman only game. The official told me it was his one freshman game obligation.

I'm not sure, but I think that all Varsity level officials are required to officiate at least one freshman game. I remember about five years ago I couldn't figure out why there was a varsity official at a freshman only game. The official told me it was his one freshman game obligation.

I think in the 8th, you see more varsity officials working these games than in other regions. Some of it has to do with proximity and some of it has to do with assisting/teaching some of the less experienced officials.

I think in the 8th, you see more varsity officials working these games than in other regions. Some of it has to do with proximity and some of it has to do with assisting/teaching some of the less experienced officials.

I agree about proximity. The 8th covers a large patch of dirt as compared to , say, the 9th. I think officials in the 8th get mileage due to the amount of driving they have to do.