December 14, 201114 yr My question isn't does God favor Tebow. It's why do so many people have such disdain for Tebow and want to see him fail? Is it because he's so openly religious?
December 14, 201114 yr My question isn't does God favor Tebow. It's why do so many people have such disdain for Tebow and want to see him fail? Is it because he's so openly religious? Not for me it isn't. I don't mix religion and sports. I like FSU football and have never liked Tebow. My disdain for him now is high because IMO he is still an unproven winner and qb. The hype is overblown IMO and it drives me nuts. Granted the way he is winning is nothing short of spectacular but I'll be more impressed when he does it long term and against better competition than what he has done it against. I still won't like him though. Never have never will. Just like MJ, Tyler Hansbrough and any Tar Heel. Tebow and football Gators fall in the same boat.
December 14, 201114 yr My question isn't does God favor Tebow. It's why do so many people have such disdain for Tebow and want to see him fail? Is it because he's so openly religious? Absolutely it is....It's because he's a great character guy. People love to criticize athletes for their character since they clearly are superior athletically. Most can't fathom that a great athlete is a good character guy. It makes that athlete not only a better athlete, but also a guy that has greater character, and many can't accept that fact. That brings about a deeply rooted desire for his failures either on the field or off, and a sinister hatred. It's disgusting and embarrassing IMO.
December 14, 201114 yr Absolutely it is....It's because he's a great character guy. People love to criticize athletes for their character since they clearly are superior athletically. Most can't fathom that a great athlete is a good character guy. It makes that athlete not only a better athlete, but also a guy that has greater character, and many can't accept that fact. That brings about a deeply rooted desire for his failures either on the field or off, and a sinister hatred. It's disgusting and embarrassing IMO. I disagree. Tebow is not the first high character/great athlete person ever. There have been plenty that have and always are well received. In fact, every week there are new Tebow converts. I don't know of anyone besides myself and maybe Irish Cat who haven't converted yet. Facebook and twitter blow up every Sunday after another Tebow miracle. The Packers are undefeated but Tebowmania is the bigger story in the NFL and fans and media have hopped aboard the train.
December 14, 201114 yr In 2009 we beat Tim and the Gators and Tim cried on the side lines. Not sure if anyone in my home prayed for a win and superseeded Tim's prayer request. I did ask Jesus once for a wife, and boy did he deliever. Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl and a lot of games. He was very religious. God favors all who trust him. Tim has a gift and has the talent to do things on the field. Who gave him this talent, and does it benefit Jesus's Gospel? Paul talks about each of us being equipped with gifts and each one has these gifts. The definition of "favors" would be the key in interpreting Guru's question IMO. What is "favor?" In this case, is it winning games? Titles? What about the losers? Also, to imply that (A.) Because of Tebow's succes God must favor him over others on that field who are less faithful, then (B) If we would be more faithful to God we would see similary results/benefits/favor. I guess if that is a truthful absolute then we can also deduce: A. God Must not have care for Ernie Davis (Football). B. Lou Gehrig must have fallen out of favor from God after being in great favor his whole life/career. C. Terry Bradshaw much have been MUCH more Faithful to God than Roger Staubach.
December 14, 201114 yr This gets us back to other debates we've had here before. If God is "rewarding" Tebow, then why are less devout or atheist people as or more successful than him in the NFL? Why are those as devout or more as Tebow struggling to make a roster? To take another step back outside of the triviality of the NFL, what has Tebow done that millions of desperately impoverished and starving people across the globe not done and if they act more Tebow-esque will their plights be reversed? Which Gospel is Tim spreading? If you believe in God you will be successful? Because that is certainly not the message that I read in the gospels. There are numerous Biblical instances in which God materially blessed people who were very faithful to Him. The most glaring one (IMO) is that of Abraham. Even when he had relapses of faith, it was as if God was bound & determined to financially bless him more than he could have ever imagined. I also think of Job. God was so pleased with him that He doubled Job's possessions, which were considerable to begin with. Yet there are other times when faithfulness does not equate to an immediate, material blessing. John the Baptist did exactly what he was born to do & ended up in prison...ultimately beheaded. Paul prayed three times for a "thorn in the flesh" to be removed from his life and God essentially said, "No. My grace is enough." He too ended up beheaded. Scripture says the rain falls on the just and the unjust. The prophet Jeremiah asked a question similar to Habib's---"Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease?" (Jeremiah 12:1). God sometimes rewards people of faith with physical blessing that is immediate & very visible. There are other times when He withholds it. There are times when God allows the wicked to prosper. And there are times when He brings them to their knees. A passage from Romans helps me here (in addition to NWO's from Isaiah). I call this verse the "God's prerogative" passage of the Bible: What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” (Romans 9: 14-15) I don't pretend to try to know the source of Tim Tebow's recent success in helping lead his team to where it is today. Is God playing a part? Perhaps. But then again, perhaps not. But I'm not going to say He most certainly is or He most certainly is not. A quote from Augustine comes to mind--one I've used before & will likely use many more times. Something like, "Once we fully understand God, He stops being God."
December 14, 201114 yr The answer to the question is no. I believe Tebow would be the first to tell you that.
December 14, 201114 yr Here's something Aaron Rodgers said about his faith: I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, 'Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.' So basically, I'm not an over-the-top, or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith. I would rather people have questions about why I act the way I act, whether they view it as positive or not, and ask questions, and then given an opportunity at some point, then you can talk about your faith a little bit. I firmly believe, just personally, what works for me, and what I enjoy doing is letting my actions speak about the kind of character that I want to have, and following that quote from St. Francis. Why do we consider Tebow the "Christian quarterback" because he is more ostentatious about his faith? I think both approaches can be very effective & I believe both are very Biblical. James come down very hard on those who verbally profess faith, yet fail to back up their words with legitimate deeds. Rodgers' stance reminds me of 1 Peter 2: 11-12,which says, "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." Conversely, I don't have a problem at all with Tebow's approach, which I see as being both heavily verbal & active. His work in the Philippines & in prison ministries speaks for itself IMO. We have to remember that in preparing people for Jesus' ministry, John the Baptist was more in-your-face than Tim Tebow will ever dream of being. He's actually more akin to the prototypical "street-corner preacher" in that he was very boisterous and outspoken. So long as both are authentic, I can't favor one style over the other. What I will say is that the deeds part of Christian living better be straight-up, or else the words are nothing but empty & hollow. With Tebow, I have yet to see anything contradictory in words vs. actions.
December 14, 201114 yr The answer to the question is no. I believe Tebow would be the first to tell you that. I agree with that. I do think that Tebow's faith is one of the reason that he has such confidence. People obtain confidence in their game through many different ways. For Tebow I think his faith does help him play better on the football field. Not because God is giving him extra strength or anything like that, but its his way of giving himself confidence.
December 14, 201114 yr I think the overall picture is being missed. This is not about football or Tim Tebow. This is about God. He has accomplished what he wanted. Not to talk about football. Not to talk about Tim Tebow but to talk about almighty God himself. In our limited abilities to understand his actions, we think it is about sports or a certain athlete, but it is not. It is about Him. Everyone can rest assured that the seed has been planted in some man, woman, boy or girl about God. This is being discussed not just on this site but other places also. One day that seed will grow and flourish. The parable about the sower is what comes to mind the further I thought on this topic.
December 14, 201114 yr OK...read the article: There are two ways to look at this: God doesn't have a hand in our destiny, and God does. Everyday many of us thank God. We thank Him for a relative who's recovered from a surgery, an illness. We thank Him for our blessings in life...good fortune, a home, our kids, a good job.... We ask His help...we're asking Him to heal the sick, stop the war, help us in our times of need. Why do we do that if we do not believe He CAN intervene on our behalf. Faith is believing...beliving in something intangible, an entity we cannot see, touch, feel, hear or taste. We believe in a Higher Power that has the ultimate say in our "fate". We've discussed the premise of "luck" versus "blessings". Yes, I believe God is favoring Tim Tebow. He favors those who follow His word. It's the entire premise of the New Testament. It's the root of the addage "Good things come to those who wait". Believing in God means believing in oneself, because you are a Child of God...through Him all things are possible.Why couldn't God be favoring Tim Tebow? If this is true then why the hell am I so happy? Shouldn't God be punishing me?
December 14, 201114 yr In 2009 we beat Tim and the Gators and Tim cried on the side lines. Not sure if anyone in my home prayed for a win and superseeded Tim's prayer request. I did ask Jesus once for a wife, and boy did he deliever. Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl and a lot of games. He was very religious. God favors all who trust him. Tim has a gift and has the talent to do things on the field. Who gave him this talent, and does it benefit Jesus's Gospel? Paul talks about each of us being equipped with gifts and each one has these gifts. There are plenty of atheist who are very successful. What's up with that?
December 14, 201114 yr My question isn't does God favor Tebow. It's why do so many people have such disdain for Tebow and want to see him fail? Is it because he's so openly religious?I'm disgusted by his particular brand of Christianity. Luckily for me he plays a sport I'm not particularly fond of.
December 14, 201114 yr The most concrete proof I can find is that the Broncos have not lost against the spread in six straight weeks. If that is not divine intervention, I do not know what is.
December 14, 201114 yr I'm disgusted by his particular brand of Christianity. Luckily for me he plays a sport I'm not particularly fond of. What exactly is his "brand" of Christianity? He's not in your face, shoving it down your throat about it. He simply gives thanks to God when he has successes, and doesn't shy away from talking about his beliefs when asked. Not sure what's so disgusting about that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.