December 13, 201114 yr “It’s not luck,” Wayne Hanson of Summit Church in Colorado told TMZ. “Luck isn’t winning 6 games in a row. It’s favor. God’s favor.”
December 13, 201114 yr I seriously doubt whether God cares whether or not Denver wins. I've always thought of him as a Packers fan
December 13, 201114 yr The Bible says God is no respector of persons. It is illogical and fallicied to believe He is making the Broncos win.
December 13, 201114 yr I think that all of the Tebow hype is a little bit overblown at this point in time. Yes they are winning, but pesonally I feel that a "perfect storm" of sorts has occurred that has enabled Denver to go on this win streak. Obviously Tebow mania has been good for the NFL and I really don't care one way or the other as to how well Tebow plays, but I still question whether he is the long term solution for Denver's QB needs. You have to give the kid credit for simply getting it done especially in the 4th quarter but I think that the role of the defense in this win streak as been several overlooked. Another factor is that their schedule during this win streak as been very favorable, especially when you consider some of the key injuries that their opponets had when they faced them. Since Tebow has became the starting QB, Denver has averaged 20.5 points per game, while the defense has given up 20.25. Three of the wins were in OT and could have very easily gone the other way. Miami - needed overtime to defeat a winless team Detriot - blownout Oakland - Raiders were without their starting QB, but Denver won comfortably. Kansas City - Won despite Tebow only throwing for 69 yards. Cheifs are 5-8. Jets - New York had to play Sunday night and turn around and play Thursday at altitude, also leading rusher Shonn Greene was limited to 3 carries due to injury. San Diego - OT win against a team that is 6-7. Minnesota - Vikings were without Peterson, yet only lost by 3. Chicago - Bear were without Cutler. Also Tebow should get Barber a really nice Christmas present for running out of bounds. Bears had the game won. I'm sorry, I know may on here will disagree, but I simply have yet to buy into the idea that Tebow is going to be a great NFL QB. Perhaps he will prove me wrong, but I while he has had success this season, I would temper my expectations over the long term given the situations that I outlined above.
December 13, 201114 yr Oh, and to actually answer the question. I would hope that God would have greater concerns than rather Tim Tebow wins a football game.
December 14, 201114 yr I haven't read the article yet, so can't respond to that. But, did hell freeze over and no one tell me? Guru started a P&R thread! Back in a few with reflections on the article.
December 14, 201114 yr OK...read the article: There are two ways to look at this: God doesn't have a hand in our destiny, and God does. Everyday many of us thank God. We thank Him for a relative who's recovered from a surgery, an illness. We thank Him for our blessings in life...good fortune, a home, our kids, a good job.... We ask His help...we're asking Him to heal the sick, stop the war, help us in our times of need. Why do we do that if we do not believe He CAN intervene on our behalf. Faith is believing...beliving in something intangible, an entity we cannot see, touch, feel, hear or taste. We believe in a Higher Power that has the ultimate say in our "fate". We've discussed the premise of "luck" versus "blessings". Yes, I believe God is favoring Tim Tebow. He favors those who follow His word. It's the entire premise of the New Testament. It's the root of the addage "Good things come to those who wait". Believing in God means believing in oneself, because you are a Child of God...through Him all things are possible. Why couldn't God be favoring Tim Tebow?
December 14, 201114 yr OK...read the article: There are two ways to look at this: God doesn't have a hand in our destiny, and God does. Everyday many of us thank God. We thank Him for a relative who's recovered from a surgery, an illness. We thank Him for our blessings in life...good fortune, a home, our kids, a good job.... We ask His help...we're asking Him to heal the sick, stop the war, help us in our times of need. Why do we do that if we do not believe He CAN intervene on our behalf. Faith is believing...beliving in something intangible, an entity we cannot see, touch, feel, hear or taste. We believe in a Higher Power that has the ultimate say in our "fate". We've discussed the premise of "luck" versus "blessings". Yes, I believe God is favoring Tim Tebow. He favors those who follow His word. It's the entire premise of the New Testament. It's the root of the addage "Good things come to those who wait". Believing in God means believing in oneself, because you are a Child of God...through Him all things are possible. Why couldn't God be favoring Tim Tebow? This gets us back to other debates we've had here before. If God is "rewarding" Tebow, then why are less devout or atheist people as or more successful than him in the NFL? Why are those as devout or more as Tebow struggling to make a roster? To take another step back outside of the triviality of the NFL, what has Tebow done that millions of desperately impoverished and starving people across the globe not done and if they act more Tebow-esque will their plights be reversed?
December 14, 201114 yr This gets us back to other debates we've had here before. If God is "rewarding" Tebow, then why are less devout or atheist people as or more successful than him in the NFL? Why are those as devout or more as Tebow struggling to make a roster? To take another step back outside of the triviality of the NFL, what has Tebow done that millions of desperately impoverished and starving people across the globe not done and if they act more Tebow-esque will their plights be reversed? Very good counter-argument. One I've used myself. Tebow enjoys much, some due to the development of his abilities, and some due to his taking advantage of opportunities. It really is the test of faith, the counter-argument you state. My only answer cannot be believed by those who DON'T believe: God has a plan for us all.
December 14, 201114 yr Very good counter-argument. One I've used myself. Tebow enjoys much, some due to the development of his abilities, and some due to his taking advantage of opportunities. It really is the test of faith, the counter-argument you state. My only answer cannot be believed by those who DON'T believe: God has a plan for us all. It's a tough question all around, and one I have no answer to. I like to think that God can and does intervene on my behalf. But I'm not sure I have any real reason to think that other than consolation. And it's very hard to square with reality, unless God is as petty and superficial as we are.
December 14, 201114 yr It's a tough question all around, and one I have no answer to. I like to think that God can and does intervene on my behalf. But I'm not sure I have any real reason to think that other than consolation. And it's very hard to square with reality, unless God is as petty and superficial as we are. Here's why I believe: I've been through some pretty trying times throughout my whole life. But where I am now? I'm nowhere close to any of the lowest points in my life. One example? At one point in my life, I had to make a choice often whether to pay the electric bill, or take my child to the dentist...to buy groceries or pay the electric bill, to pay the day care or have gas money, to buy groceries or pay the day care, to take my child to the doctor and buy the medicine or buy groceries...to pay the rent or pay any combination of the above...to enroll in my company's health insurance plan or risk going for 6-months or more hoping not to be ill to have the extra money to make all the previous decisons a little easier. When I first got divorced, I had no home, no job, two kids and 1/2 all the marital bills to pay. I managed to raise two kids, put a roof over their heads (although not always what others would call a nice one), send them to private schools, and see them turn out to be wonderful adults. How? I have no answer except by the grace of God, and the people He guided to me: The woman who treated me like her own daughter, and my kids like her own grandchildren. The girl I met at work who's father had a fund at his office to help people like me with emergency utility funds. The same girl's sister who worked in the Jeff Co Sheriff's office who proposed my kids to be "adopted" by the department at Christmas; The Hell's Angels who showed up with groceries one Christmas. The still-unknown benefactor that would leave groceries on my doorstep. Other, closer friends who've helped me either financially or with guidance, who I'd have never met in the normal course of my life. I definitely believe God has brought me through all that, and all those people into my life. I believe that all the things I've gone through have made me a better person, and one now capable of an empathy for others in similar situations, and a duty to help them in the best ways I can (unfortunately, still not financially).
December 14, 201114 yr In 2009 we beat Tim and the Gators and Tim cried on the side lines. Not sure if anyone in my home prayed for a win and superseeded Tim's prayer request. I did ask Jesus once for a wife, and boy did he deliever. Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl and a lot of games. He was very religious. God favors all who trust him. Tim has a gift and has the talent to do things on the field. Who gave him this talent, and does it benefit Jesus's Gospel? Paul talks about each of us being equipped with gifts and each one has these gifts.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.