Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does God favor Tim Tebow?

Featured Replies

It is possible. Is it not possible or even likely that God could be using Tebow's success and fame to help spread the message? If he becomes a star QB that can sustain long-term success doesn't that help spread the gospel?

 

:thumb:

 

Good questions. Typically, people approach this question from the short-sighted idea that if God does indeed favor Tim Tebow that favoritism will manifest itself in the form of success on the football field.

 

But, if God in his infinite wisdom is assisting Tebow and Denver, I doubt his end game is for Denver to make the playoffs, nor is it because he loves Tebow and Denver better than any other player or team. God's purpose is to draw people to a saving faith in Jesus Christ.

 

Running with the assumption that Tebow is getting some breaks from above, perhaps God intends to use that to draw people to Him. Look at the attention Tebow's current run is generating, and Tebow is as outspoken about his faith as any athlete I can ever remember. He doesn't just generically thank God, he is more specific about it and makes sure the name of Jesus Christ is mentioned. Tebow's character is appealing to many people. The guy is all about the team and never touts himself. Of all the criticism he's taken, nobody can fairly criticize his character. Also, the way this has played out is interesting. It hasn't been Tebow setting the field on fire, but rather struggling for large parts of games, yet persevering, enduring and keeping the faith and finding ways to get wins. That has generated much of this mystique about divine assistance. What would people say if Tebow just came out and tore it up from start to finish? He would be getting all the credit. People may still raise the question about whether God favors him, but it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't shed any light on his character and mentality to keep fighting and keep believing. It would simply look like God had blessed Tebow with exceptional talents and he was using them to win football games. I think the way it is playing out draws more attention and creates more interest.

 

That said, God could just as easily work through Tebow by allowing him to fail. Maybe Denver will start losing games in the future and we'll all have to see how Tebow responds in that situation. Everyone expected him to fail at the start, so how big of a story would it have been then? How big of a story will it be now if it happens? It is possible that we'll have to see Tebow's character and faith in action through failures instead of success. And, God can use him just as effectively in that scenario.

 

I can't say what role God is specifically playing in all this. Nobody can. But, from a Christian perspective, I look at it in terms of Tebow's platform to get his message out, rather than wins and losses on the football field.

 

We tend to automatically associate God's favor with material success. That isn't always the case, IMO.

  • Replies 205
  • Views 22.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would people say if Tebow just came out and tore it up from start to finish? He would be getting all the credit. People may still raise the question about whether God favors him, but it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't shed any light on his character and mentality to keep fighting and keep believing. It would simply look like God had blessed Tebow with exceptional talents and he was using them to win football games. I think the way it is playing out draws more attention and creates more interest.

 

Very interesting thoughts...in weakness, God is strong perhaps?

:thumb:

 

Good questions. Typically, people approach this question from the short-sighted idea that if God does indeed favor Tim Tebow that favoritism will manifest itself in the form of success on the football field.

 

But, if God in his infinite wisdom is assisting Tebow and Denver, I doubt his end game is for Denver to make the playoffs, nor is it because he loves Tebow and Denver better than any other player or team. God's purpose is to draw people to a saving faith in Jesus Christ.

 

Running with the assumption that Tebow is getting some breaks from above, perhaps God intends to use that to draw people to Him. Look at the attention Tebow's current run is generating, and Tebow is as outspoken about his faith as any athlete I can ever remember. He doesn't just generically thank God, he is more specific about it and makes sure the name of Jesus Christ is mentioned. Tebow's character is appealing to many people. The guy is all about the team and never touts himself. Of all the criticism he's taken, nobody can fairly criticize his character. Also, the way this has played out is interesting. It hasn't been Tebow setting the field on fire, but rather struggling for large parts of games, yet persevering, enduring and keeping the faith and finding ways to get wins. That has generated much of this mystique about divine assistance. What would people say if Tebow just came out and tore it up from start to finish? He would be getting all the credit. People may still raise the question about whether God favors him, but it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't shed any light on his character and mentality to keep fighting and keep believing. It would simply look like God had blessed Tebow with exceptional talents and he was using them to win football games. I think the way it is playing out draws more attention and creates more interest.

 

That said, God could just as easily work through Tebow by allowing him to fail. Maybe Denver will start losing games in the future and we'll all have to see how Tebow responds in that situation. Everyone expected him to fail at the start, so how big of a story would it have been then? How big of a story will it be now if it happens? It is possible that we'll have to see Tebow's character and faith in action through failures instead of success. And, God can use him just as effectively in that scenario.

 

I can't say what role God is specifically playing in all this. Nobody can. But, from a Christian perspective, I look at it in terms of Tebow's platform to get his message out, rather than wins and losses on the football field.

 

We tend to automatically associate God's favor with material success. That isn't always the case, IMO.

 

 

Great post.

What exactly is his "brand" of Christianity? He's not in your face, shoving it down your throat about it. He simply gives thanks to God when he has successes, and doesn't shy away from talking about his beliefs when asked. Not sure what's so disgusting about that.
I LOATHE mission work. It's probably my #1 least favorite thing about Christianity (and it's a LOOOOONNNNGGG list). If you want to be charitable, then be charitable. Don't ram God down someones throat in exchange for a roof, food, or medical care -- especially in countries where the "savages" already have their own beliefs.

 

I do however disagree on Tebow not being in your face or shoving it down your throat.

^When does he shove it down anyone's throat? I can't recall a single instance where he's done so.

I do however disagree on Tebow not being in your face or shoving it down your throat.

 

If people stopped always asking him about it in interviews, he wouldn't be talking about it as much, and in turn it wouldn't feel like he was ramming it down people's throats.

:thumb:

 

Good questions. Typically, people approach this question from the short-sighted idea that if God does indeed favor Tim Tebow that favoritism will manifest itself in the form of success on the football field.

 

But, if God in his infinite wisdom is assisting Tebow and Denver, I doubt his end game is for Denver to make the playoffs, nor is it because he loves Tebow and Denver better than any other player or team. God's purpose is to draw people to a saving faith in Jesus Christ.

 

Running with the assumption that Tebow is getting some breaks from above, perhaps God intends to use that to draw people to Him. Look at the attention Tebow's current run is generating, and Tebow is as outspoken about his faith as any athlete I can ever remember. He doesn't just generically thank God, he is more specific about it and makes sure the name of Jesus Christ is mentioned. Tebow's character is appealing to many people. The guy is all about the team and never touts himself. Of all the criticism he's taken, nobody can fairly criticize his character. Also, the way this has played out is interesting. It hasn't been Tebow setting the field on fire, but rather struggling for large parts of games, yet persevering, enduring and keeping the faith and finding ways to get wins. That has generated much of this mystique about divine assistance. What would people say if Tebow just came out and tore it up from start to finish? He would be getting all the credit. People may still raise the question about whether God favors him, but it wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't shed any light on his character and mentality to keep fighting and keep believing. It would simply look like God had blessed Tebow with exceptional talents and he was using them to win football games. I think the way it is playing out draws more attention and creates more interest.

 

That said, God could just as easily work through Tebow by allowing him to fail. Maybe Denver will start losing games in the future and we'll all have to see how Tebow responds in that situation. Everyone expected him to fail at the start, so how big of a story would it have been then? How big of a story will it be now if it happens? It is possible that we'll have to see Tebow's character and faith in action through failures instead of success. And, God can use him just as effectively in that scenario.

 

I can't say what role God is specifically playing in all this. Nobody can. But, from a Christian perspective, I look at it in terms of Tebow's platform to get his message out, rather than wins and losses on the football field.

 

We tend to automatically associate God's favor with material success. That isn't always the case, IMO.

 

I completely agree. If anything, the media should praise him for being the perfect type of leader. He hasn't proven himself through wins or loses, that takes time. He has proven he perseveres through hardship and doubt, and his teammates (which is what matters) believe in him.

 

I destested Tebow, but when the media vilified him and he rose above it all, how could you dislike the man?

 

What will be more impressive is when he loses and still maintains his faith without question. That's something everyone should look at regardless to what it pertains to.

^When does he shove it down anyone's throat? I can't recall a single instance where he's done so.

 

If people stopped always asking him about it in interviews, he wouldn't be talking about it as much, and in turn it wouldn't feel like he was ramming it down people's throats.
I can't embed at work, but here you go.

I can't view youtube from work...As I've already said, he thanks God when he has successes, but he never just strays from a question or topic and turns it into a "preaching" about Christianity.

I can't view youtube from work...As I've already said, he thanks God when he has successes, but he never just strays from a question or topic and turns it into a "preaching" about Christianity.
It's his Superbowl Ad.

^I struggle to see how that's shoving Christianity down anyone's throat?

I can't view youtube from work...As I've already said, he thanks God when he has successes, but he never just strays from a question or topic and turns it into a "preaching" about Christianity.

 

His is a very narrow, ultra-fundamentalist brand of evangelicism. I have big problems with the premise that folks in an overwhelmingly devout country such as the Phillipines — almost exclusively Catholic — need to be converted.

 

Other than my earlier question (which no one has satisfactorily answered) about why people believe God would favor him at the expense of other teams, which almost certainly include plenty of similarly devout players, the idea that a country full of devout Catholics need converting is a big problem with me. I was raised Catholic in a crummy hilljack town where most everyone was hard-core ultra-Baptist. Regularly would I get asked "are you even a Christian?" to the point it was just better not to discuss these things rather than get into fights daily with religious bigots.

^I struggle to see how that's shoving Christianity down anyone's throat?
You're smarter than that...

^I guess I'm not.

 

I disagree with, but can see the argument about his missionary work. I don't understand how doing an ad speaking out against abortion is comparable. Last I checked, it's not only Christians that are pro-life.

^I guess I'm not.

 

I disagree with, but can see the argument about his missionary work. I don't understand how doing an ad speaking out against abortion is comparable. Last I checked, it's not only Christians that are pro-life.

I'll help you. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.