December 15, 201114 yr First, I am not a fan of the Denver Tebows...I mean Broncos. :lol: The Ravens are my team. My issue with the whole idea is that Tim Tebow is not the only football player that promotes wholesome Christian values or leads a Christian lifestyle. God does not favor Tebow just because he is in the spotlight, forsaking another player on the opposite team who does his work behind the scenes. Finally, I'm always a little put out when the kicker gets no respect. Well, I guess that last week the kicker was lucky that Tebow allowed him to kick the winning field goal. :lol:
December 15, 201114 yr Got this from a former classmate of mine off of Facebook..........I had to share it. Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Patriots flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity Tom, said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Tom felt special, indeed, and walked up... to his house. On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a huge 3-story mansion with Orange and Blue sidewalks and drive ways, a 50 foot tall flagpole with an enormous Broncos logo flag waving, a swimming pool in shape of a horse, a Broncos logo in every window, and a Tim Tebow jersey on the front door. Tom looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I won 3 Super Bowls, and I even went to the Hall of Fame." God said "So what's your point Tom?" "Well, why does Tim Tebow get a better house than me?" God chuckled, and said "Tom, that's not Tim's house, it's mine."
December 15, 201114 yr Why do you have a problem with people doing things in the name of God? You participate in races that benefit causes. Is doing mission work in the name of God any different? No mission that I'm aware of requires the recepients of the charity to listen to anything to receive any benefits of the mission.You accuse me of stretching things in the Tebow argument, well I'd consider this quite a stretch. Purpose of mission work is to spread the name of God. It's always in areas where people have their own beliefs. I do charitable work because I feel it's a good thing to do -- not to spread my religious beliefs. I feel it's a trap. If you are starving, homeless, or very sick and someone comes to help you...won't you listen to what they have to say?
December 15, 201114 yr I don't particularly appreciate people who try to tell people how to live, that they're going to hell, etc. But I don't find Tebow to be that type of Christian. He simply is very open about his deep faith, and gives the credit to God. I find nothing offensive at all about his profession of faith. I do find it extreme that you're "disgusted". That's something to explore further...why does it "disgust" you?His mission work is distasteful. I do find Tebow to be one who is trying to tell others how to live. Combine those two and it's disgust. But I'm losing no sleep over him.
December 15, 201114 yr First, I think that the term "favor" is being used and maybe it's not the right word for today's times. I understand the word, for this discussion, to mean that God is pleased with Tebow, not that He is placing Tebow above others and making him successful. A person's will, determination, work...so many other things...determine success. But following God's teachings, believing in God, can be for MANY the impetus to inspire them to live the right way and do the right things to be successful. I'll say again, if you don't believe in God, you can't understand the full concept of faith. I'm also reminded of one of the Cardinal Sins-doubt....I'm not going to lose my soul because I doubted God could guide the hand of a quarterback. Very fair and without a doubt it's true. It's a struggle for a lot of my friendships, family bonds, and female relationships for me to get past this. The concept of faith, blind devotion, etc. baffles me. The Noah's Ark/Dino thread gives a good example of the type of beliefs I'm speaking of. But I do try my very best not to offend and to keep an open mind. Because as baffling as it is I do find a lot of concepts quite intriguing. I'm always trying to learn more. I'm very sarcastic so sometimes I'm not always the best at this but I do try...
December 15, 201114 yr Got this from a former classmate of mine off of Facebook..........I had to share it. Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Patriots flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity Tom, said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Tom felt special, indeed, and walked up... to his house. On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a huge 3-story mansion with Orange and Blue sidewalks and drive ways, a 50 foot tall flagpole with an enormous Broncos logo flag waving, a swimming pool in shape of a horse, a Broncos logo in every window, and a Tim Tebow jersey on the front door. Tom looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I won 3 Super Bowls, and I even went to the Hall of Fame." God said "So what's your point Tom?" "Well, why does Tim Tebow get a better house than me?" God chuckled, and said "Tom, that's not Tim's house, it's mine." :lol: :lol:
December 15, 201114 yr Got this from a former classmate of mine off of Facebook..........I had to share it. Tom Brady, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Patriots flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity Tom, said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here." Tom felt special, indeed, and walked up... to his house. On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a huge 3-story mansion with Orange and Blue sidewalks and drive ways, a 50 foot tall flagpole with an enormous Broncos logo flag waving, a swimming pool in shape of a horse, a Broncos logo in every window, and a Tim Tebow jersey on the front door. Tom looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I won 3 Super Bowls, and I even went to the Hall of Fame." God said "So what's your point Tom?" "Well, why does Tim Tebow get a better house than me?" God chuckled, and said "Tom, that's not Tim's house, it's mine." This has been passed around for ages....Insert UK & UL, Duke & UNC, Lakers & Celtics, etc.....Still pretty funny though. This time it may actually be accurate.
December 15, 201114 yr This has been passed around for ages....Insert UK & UL, Duke & UNC, Lakers & Celtics, etc.....Still pretty funny though. This time it may actually be accurate. Yeah. I had to share it when I read it. It made so much sense. :lol:
December 15, 201114 yr Billy Graham, Mother Teresa & Tim Tebow are all standing before God's judgment seat. To Graham God says, "Mr. Graham, why should I let you in heaven?" Graham responds, "Lord, I faithfully preached your word & did the best I could to reach people on your behalf. I gave my life to your work." God says, "Alright Mr. Graham, you can sit here on my left side." Then God asks the same question of Mother Teresa that he asked of Graham. Mother Teresa says, "Lord, I gave my life to serving the less fortunate on your behalf. I gave to the least of these as often as I possibly could." God says, "Alright, you can be seated at my right side." God then looks at Tim Tebow and says, "Alright Mr. Tebow, why should I let you in heaven?" Tebow says, "Lord, I was faithful to you in doing mission work & publicly affirming my faith in you. I did the best I could in my profession to represent you well." God says, "That sounds great! You can be seated..." Tebow interrupts and says, "But I want you to know, Lord, you're sitting in my seat."
December 15, 201114 yr Billy Graham, Mother Teresa & Tim Tebow are all standing before God's judgment seat. To Graham God says, "Mr. Graham, why should I let you in heaven?" Graham responds, "Lord, I faithfully preached your word & did the best I could to reach people on your behalf. I gave my life to your work." God says, "Alright Mr. Graham, you can sit here on my left side." Then God asks the same question of Mother Teresa that he asked of Graham. Mother Teresa says, "Lord, I gave my life to serving the less fortunate on your behalf. I gave to the least of these as often as I possibly could." God says, "Alright, you can be seated at my right side." God then looks at Tim Tebow and says, "Alright Mr. Tebow, why should I let you in heaven?" Tebow says, "Lord, I was faithful to you in doing mission work & publicly affirming my faith in you. I did the best I could in my profession to represent you well." God says, "That sounds great! You can be seated..." Tebow interrupts and says, "But I want you to know, Lord, you're sitting in my seat." I don't like Tebow but the Tebow jokes are great. :lol:
December 15, 201114 yr So....the joke is awesome, but now I have another question: Billy Graham is as much (actually more, IMO) an evangelist as Tim Tebow. Why do people not deride him the same as they do Tebow?
December 15, 201114 yr So....the joke is awesome, but now I have another question: Billy Graham is as much (actually more, IMO) an evangelist as Tim Tebow. Why do people not deride him the same as they do Tebow? I don't like him either. But he isn't on Sportscenter every day.
December 15, 201114 yr So....the joke is awesome, but now I have another question: Billy Graham is as much (actually more, IMO) an evangelist as Tim Tebow. Why do people not deride him the same as they do Tebow? Billy Graham and other evangelical-types indeed creep me out. But like FKYW said, I don't have to watch Billy to get my sports scores.
December 15, 201114 yr Billy Graham and other evangelical-types indeed creep me out. But like FKYW said, I don't have to watch Billy to get my sports scores. You don't have to watch Tebow to get your sports scores either, you just choose to.
December 15, 201114 yr I don't like him either. But he isn't on Sportscenter every day.How come you don't like Billy? He has spoken to more humans about Jesus than any other Human. Oh, I just answered my own question...:idunno: :banana:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.