December 15, 201114 yr Billy Graham and other evangelical-types indeed creep me out. But like FKYW said, I don't have to watch Billy to get my sports scores.Explain how they "creep you out". I know that there are several who preach a false religion, but Billy is the most popular Preacher in the World for many years for a reason, in fact there is hardly anyone I would listen to other than Billy. You can still see his old crusades on Saturday on TCN. Charles Stanley is very good, I listen to him almost every nite at 11:30 before I go to sleep. Very straight forward not judgemental, very basic man, like Billy
December 15, 201114 yr Different strokes for different folks. I has never been a fan of the evangelical types either. Really don't want someone in my face with their beliefs I guess. It never seems genuine when they have to tell me about it. I prefer to find out on my own I guess.
December 16, 201114 yr Here is a nice liberals' view of the subject. http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=9522042
December 16, 201114 yr Tebow strikes me as the most genuine celebrity Christian I have seen. I would take David Robinson first, simply because he has done it longer. But Tebow's certainly right up there with him.
December 16, 201114 yr Billy Graham and other evangelical-types indeed creep me out. But like FKYW said, I don't have to watch Billy to get my sports scores. Different strokes for different folks. I has never been a fan of the evangelical types either. Really don't want someone in my face with their beliefs I guess. It never seems genuine when they have to tell me about it. I prefer to find out on my own I guess. Do I creep you guys out? What is it? The oversized snowsuit? The fact that I don't like meat loaf? My old man's major award?
December 17, 201114 yr This is an interesting thread. I’ve attempted to read and understand each post. There is no doubt in my mind that God does favor us… both collectively and individually. In Matthew 5:45 Jesus tells us, “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” We all have food, shelter, clothing, computers and enough leisure time to invest some on BGP. We are all blessed beyond anything we deserve. We all enjoy God’s favor whether we believe in Him or not… whether we seek Him… whether we attempt to obey Him. Enjoy Beyond this, the Bible sets forth numerous examples and instructions for receiving extra doses of God’s favor. They are all tied in some way with obedience. As any good parent will feed and clothe and care for and discipline all of their children… they also encourage proper behavior with appropriate rewards. As a result, kind, gentle, obedient kids may enjoy more of their parent’s pleasure than stubborn, rebellious kids do. I couldn't have cared less about the NFL for years. I find that the more I learn about Tim Tebow, the more genuine I believe him to be, and the more I like him. He's had an amazing run, but win, lose or draw... he's a winner.
December 17, 201114 yr Words from the Apostle Paul in Hebrews 11:6 “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek him.” The Bible is filled with examples of God bestowing His favor upon individuals of His choosing. There are numerous instances of men and women praying for God’s favor, proclaiming God’s favor, being thankful for God’s favor. Both the Old and New Testaments contain numerous instructions for positioning ourselves to receive greater measures of God’s favor. Acts 7:45-46 says that David enjoyed God’s favor. In Luke 4:19 Jesus speaks of the Lord’s favor. In Luke 1:30 the angel tells Mary she has found favor with God. In Luke 1:25 Elizabeth declares that God has shown His favor with her, as she was pregnant with John the Baptist. Daniel 1:9 tells how God caused an official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel. Daniel 9:13 suggests that we might seek God’s favor by turning from our sins and giving attention to His truth. Jeremiah 16:13 suggests that those who serve other gods will not enjoy the favor of God. I think it’s important to point out that “other gods” can mean anything we put in God’s proper place in our lives, drugs, money, power, fame, sex, ourselves, celebrity veneration, food… you name it. We have a knack for making idols of all sorts of things. There are many, many more. I do not find any of this random, unfair or without logic.
December 17, 201114 yr It is possible. Is it not possible or even likely that God could be using Tebow's success and fame to help spread the message? If he becomes a star QB that can sustain long-term success doesn't that help spread the gospel? God does't use Tebow...Tebow uses him for all his strength!
December 19, 201114 yr I was actually anticipating some response to my last two posts, but in their absence I will conclude for now with the fact that I'm not convinced that God is overly concerned with the outcomes of ball games. I am however, entirely convinced that God has shown and is showing Mr. Tebow His favor. It began twenty-some years ago when his mother chose not to abort him. It continued through his upbringing by clearly devout parents that instilled their faith, and reason for hope and purpose and confidence into their son. It is present today in his confidence to lead his team into the final minutes of every game without quitting, without whining, without being self-absorbed. His confidence is in someone much more mighty than himself. He has every reason to believe that “good things” can and will happen for those who believe. He also has the wisdom to understand that there’s a reason behind temporary losses and setbacks that ultimately make him stronger, better, more focused… leading to even greater success in this life. Where would the excitement of the Rocky movies be if Rocky just came out and dominated every fight? Who would we truly root for if Rocky was technically superior to his every opponent? (Rocky may in fact be the most technically inferior boxer ever to achieve success... even on a fictional basis. He deflects opponent's punches primarily with his face...) Why do you think the Bible is so honest about revealing the flaws and failings of its heroes? Why are we taught that Jesus Himself was tempted by the sins of this world? I sincerely pray for Tim Tebow… that he not lose his ultimate focus and succumb to the allure of worldly wealth, fame and self-gratification. He could yet disappoint or surprise us with some ugly character traits or closet full of skeletons… but, at least for now, he represents in many ways the kind of man I want to be, and I pray that my sons will be.
December 19, 201114 yr I wonder how mad Tebow is that Brady doesn't have to be a virgin, go on mission trips, or pray every hour to earn God's favor.
December 19, 201114 yr I wonder how mad Tebow is that Brady doesn't have to be a virgin, go on mission trips, or pray every hour to earn God's favor.I get the intended humor FKYW, but I don't sincerely believe Tebow looks at Brady that way... I know I don't. I do not envy Tom Brady in any way. I admire his skills, he is a tremendous competitor.
December 19, 201114 yr I get the intended humor FKYW, but I don't sincerely believe Tebow looks at Brady that way... I know I don't. I do not envy Tom Brady in any way. I admire his skills, he is a tremendous competitor.Not in any way?
December 19, 201114 yr Not in any way? :lol: Again, I appreciate the humor. I can't speak for Tim, but as for me I can honestly state that my wife is as beautiful to me on the outside as I am sure Giselle is to Tom... and that's just on the outside. I do not know Tom or Giselle personally, but I have a difficult time imagining that Mrs. Tom Brady is anywhere near as beautiful on the inside as my wife is. Again, I do not envy Tom Brady in any way... I cannot imagine Tim Tebow does either. I wish them the greatest joy in their marriage. I have no doubt that Tim has a beautiful "godly" woman in his future. All things in due time. :thumb:
December 19, 201114 yr Not in any way? [ATTACH=CONFIG]35171[/ATTACH] Wouldn't trade Mama for anyone. I ought to post some pics myself. But look at 1st Samaul 16:7. here Samuel is looking for the new king and goes thru all of Jessie's sons, but can't find the king. There is one left a shepherd boy who comes in, he smells like sheep, stinks, is dirty and nasty. Samuel says OH No LORD, not him, look at him, The LORD replies, Man looks at the outward apperance, I look at his heart". So, I hope she has a kind heart, but looks are not everything. Tim will be fine, sometimes you have to give the other team some credit.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.