Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does God favor Tim Tebow?

Featured Replies

I'm assuming that those who don't like Tebow for 'shoving' Christianity down peoples throat had/have the same disdain for Muhammad Ali?

  • Replies 205
  • Views 22.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm disgusted by his particular brand of Christianity. Luckily for me he plays a sport I'm not particularly fond of.

 

I don't particularly appreciate people who try to tell people how to live, that they're going to hell, etc. But I don't find Tebow to be that type of Christian. He simply is very open about his deep faith, and gives the credit to God. I find nothing offensive at all about his profession of faith. I do find it extreme that you're "disgusted". That's something to explore further...why does it "disgust" you?

I LOATHE mission work. It's probably my #1 least favorite thing about Christianity (and it's a LOOOOONNNNGGG list). If you want to be charitable, then be charitable. Don't ram God down someones throat in exchange for a roof, food, or medical care -- especially in countries where the "savages" already have their own beliefs.

 

I do however disagree on Tebow not being in your face or shoving it down your throat.

 

Why do you have a problem with people doing things in the name of God? You participate in races that benefit causes. Is doing mission work in the name of God any different? No mission that I'm aware of requires the recepients of the charity to listen to anything to receive any benefits of the mission.

His is a very narrow, ultra-fundamentalist brand of evangelicism. I have big problems with the premise that folks in an overwhelmingly devout country such as the Phillipines — almost exclusively Catholic — need to be converted.

 

Other than my earlier question (which no one has satisfactorily answered) about why people believe God would favor him at the expense of other teams, which almost certainly include plenty of similarly devout players, the idea that a country full of devout Catholics need converting is a big problem with me. I was raised Catholic in a crummy hilljack town where most everyone was hard-core ultra-Baptist. Regularly would I get asked "are you even a Christian?" to the point it was just better not to discuss these things rather than get into fights daily with religious bigots.

 

Jim, I experienced much of what you describe, but I've also had much opportunity over the years to examine and rexamine my feelings toward those types of people. Not all are like that. I don't have any info on Tebow's trips to the Phillipines? Did his group actively try to convert Catholics? Did they refuse charity for anyone for any reason?

For anyone who is a non believer Luke 16:19, oh my bad, the non believer wouldn't have a Bible. Why didn't Tim beat Bama his senior year?

 

If Tim doesn't win the Super Bowl did he fall from grace?

 

Do Christians ever suffer?

 

How come his parents didn't abort him?

 

Should Tim hide his Faith? What does the Bible speak about sharing the Gospel at work.

 

For Non believers, how did you get here, and how does your heart/brain/eyes work? How did/do we reproduce? If the earth goes just a few degrees off course, we either burn/freeze in an instant. I might start a new thread, I have so much more.

No problems, and I enjoy the discussion too.

 

I am mainly intrigued by the idea that God could favor a particular football player. My thoughts previously said on Tebow's "brand of faith" and him shoving his religion down people's throats were genuine though.

 

First, I think that the term "favor" is being used and maybe it's not the right word for today's times. I understand the word, for this discussion, to mean that God is pleased with Tebow, not that He is placing Tebow above others and making him successful. A person's will, determination, work...so many other things...determine success. But following God's teachings, believing in God, can be for MANY the impetus to inspire them to live the right way and do the right things to be successful.

 

I'll say again, if you don't believe in God, you can't understand the full concept of faith.

 

I'm also reminded of one of the Cardinal Sins-doubt....I'm not going to lose my soul because I doubted God could guide the hand of a quarterback. :D

For anyone who is a non believer Luke 16:19, oh my bad, the non believer wouldn't have a Bible. Why didn't Tim beat Bama his senior year?
Success isn't defined in one game. :p

 

If Tim doesn't win the Super Bowl did he fall from grace?

No...Tebow will still have his faith.

 

Do Christians ever suffer?

Absolutely, everyday. Faith, though, can help you through it and give you the strength to get through it.

 

How come his parents didn't abort him?

Not sure. Don't know enough about them.

 

Should Tim hide his Faith? What does the Bible speak about sharing the Gospel at work.

No he shouldn't. But, I think there's a difference in the way that Tebow does it, and being approached by people I work with who evangelize while I'm trying to work. If they want to share that they thank God for something, or in need of prayers, or if we happen to have a discussion that includes a discussion of Biblical passages, that's fine.

 

For Non believers, how did you get here, and how does your heart/brain/eyes work? How did/do we reproduce? If the earth goes just a few degrees off course, we either burn/freeze in an instant. I might start a new thread, I have so much more.

 

I'm a believer, so I'll leave this one to the non-believers.

Tim has older siblings and his parents were told Tim would be a high risk baby and was informed that an abortion would be the way they would advise.

 

You could chime in on my traditional non believer question about how things work. :popcorn:

 

The "one game" a huge one why didn't God answer Tim's request? :confused:

Tim has older siblings and his parents were told Tim would be a high risk baby and was informed that an abortion would be the way they would advise.

 

You could chime in on my traditional non believer question about how things work. :popcorn:

 

The "one game" a huge one why didn't God answer Tim's request? :confused:

 

I'll answer the last question first: God's answer to our prayers isn't always what we would wish for. :p But that doesn't mean He didn't answer.

I'll answer the last question first: God's answer to our prayers isn't always what we would wish for. :p But that doesn't mean He didn't answer.
I agree but people are talking about Tim being in a huge favor with God, and that was a huge game, why didn't God grant this to Tim who has this special relationship? Tim was crying on the side line, and I'm making a point here.
I agree but people are talking about Tim being in a huge favor with God, and that was a huge game, why didn't God grant this to Tim who has this special relationship? Tim was crying on the side line, and I'm making a point here.

 

Because people are confusing the term "favor". God "favoring" Tebow doesn't mean He's making sure Tebow wins. God "looks upon Tebow with favor" is how I look at it. Not the same at all.

Because people are confusing the term "favor". God "favoring" Tebow doesn't mean He's making sure Tebow wins. God "looks upon Tebow with favor" is how I look at it. Not the same at all.

 

Sure seems like the Rev. in the initial post feels the Lord favors Tebow above all others. As I said before, I find that line of thinking to be utterly and completely asinine.

For anyone who is a non believer Luke 16:19, oh my bad, the non believer wouldn't have a Bible. Why didn't Tim beat Bama his senior year?If Tim doesn't win the Super Bowl did he fall from grace?

 

Do Christians ever suffer?

 

How come his parents didn't abort him?

 

Should Tim hide his Faith? What does the Bible speak about sharing the Gospel at work.

 

For Non believers, how did you get here, and how does your heart/brain/eyes work? How did/do we reproduce? If the earth goes just a few degrees off course, we either burn/freeze in an instant. I might start a new thread, I have so much more.

 

If we're still playing the Blessed by God game, I'll respond to the bolded. Maybe he lost because God was testing him. The unbeatable Tebow being taken out of the NC chase his SR. year. If he was tested I think he passed with flying colors.

 

Or maybe Nick Saban made a deal with the Devil?:D

If we're still playing the Blessed by God game, I'll respond to the bolded. Maybe he lost because God was testing him. The unbeatable Tebow being taken out of the NC chase his SR. year. If he was tested I think he passed with flying colors.

 

Or maybe Nick Saban made a deal with the Devil?:D

Good Point, on the testing, didn't think of it and use that a lot. Maybe Nick has another deal in the works?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.