Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How does a Kentucky loss affect you?

Featured Replies

Don't know how you could track this with any certainty but I don't think it would be very much of a spike after games and losses in either state. JMO

 

It would take a lot of research into arrest records, etc., but it could be tracked. And given the completely irrational fan behavior we have all seen in the past, from fans of many different teams in many different states (couches burning, riots, etc.) after the home team gets beat, I don't see how it couldn't spike. Kentucky is already a state with high incidences of domestic violence against spouses and children, as has been noted recently in the news. Irrational people don't need much of a trigger to act irrationally.

 

Just another JS shot at UK.

 

No, it's a legitimate question born out of years of observation of irrational fan behavior. For what it's worth, it's a question that first came up in my mind during my Tennessee time.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is a big game that you really get into, like the IU game this weekend that ends in a close loss there is always that letdown feeling of being wrapped up in something and then 1) having it end, and 2) end badly. That lasts for a couple of minutes and then I move on. I may complain for a couple minutes about some obvious thing (like missed FT's) for a couple minutes. Complaining may not be the right word, it is more like sarcastic comments.

 

Tournament losses like the last two years linger a little longer...like a half hour or so.

 

It's ultimately just a game and I try to enjoy it. A couple of things allow me to do that: 1) I realize that being elite on a yearly basis is not Kentucky's birthright (I took things for granted when Pitino was there), so I am just enjoying having Calipari with the players he brings in and the style he plays and 2) nothing will ever equal the Laettner shot.

It puts my wife in a bad mood, and we all know what doesn't happen when your wife is in a bad mood.

It puts my wife in a bad mood, and we all know what doesn't happen when your wife is in a bad mood.

 

Fortunately for you UK doesn't lose a lot.

I get most annoyed when they lose a game they have a genuine chance of winning in the end.. If you're going to lose, make it a blowout so I'm already moving on before the game's over. Don't toy with me.

I remember in 84 when UL/UK played in the NCAA tourney. Big comeback by UK if I recall. Lost in OT. When it was apparent that UK was going to lose my younger bro went to his room, slammed the door, and blasted "Come on Eileen" so he wouldn't have to see UK lose.

^ '83, right? UK went to the Final Four in '84.

 

The '83 game was 80-68 in OT. Jim Master hit a shot from the baseline to put it in OT. It's my earliest memory of UK basketball. I was 5-years-old. For whatever reason, I've always remembered the final score, that it went in overtime & Master hitting the shot to send it in OT.

^ '83, right? UK went to the Final Four in '84.

 

The '83 game was 80-68 in OT. Jim Master hit a shot from the baseline to put it in OT. It's my earliest memory of UK basketball. I was 5-years-old. For whatever reason, I've always remembered the final score, that it went in overtime & Master hitting the shot to send it in OT.

 

nice work RP... as always.

Is that why you were single during the Gillespie dark years? haha!

 

That very well could have been. Dating back to high school I can think of 3 girls that I had arguments with because of UK, actually maybe 4. I just don't like to talk about it when it happens and they just never seem to understand that.

What did Laettner's shot do to you all?

What did Laettner's shot do to you all?

 

I was 5. I didn't know to care. :lol: And as a result, I never really developed the hatred.

^ That's good. I was 11 at the time....didn't hate UK then....that didn't come for about 3 more years.

I don't let losses in any sport bother me that much anymore. I love sports just as much as the next person but over the years I have realized that losing on a court, a field, etc is not that big of a deal. I have also learned that losing can result in many rewards.

What did Laettner's shot do to you all?

 

 

I cried, but it wasn't the shot alone that made me cry. I was 25 at the time, and we had just buried my grandmother that day. My mom loves UK basketball, and was really hurting over the death of her mother. After Woods hit the shot, it brought a brief moment of joy to my mom. When Laettner hit the shot, it just made matters worse. It really hurt me to see my mom hurting.

That very well could have been. Dating back to high school I can think of 3 girls that I had arguments with because of UK, actually maybe 4. I just don't like to talk about it when it happens and they just never seem to understand that.

 

The key is to date girls who are big UK fans...that way they are just as upset as you and don't want to talk about it either!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.