Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

X/UC fight....

Featured Replies

At this point there is nothing to hear outside of a police report was filed. If she presses charges, there will be a lot more talk about it. From the videos I have seen there was no contact so I doubt charges are pressed. If there was contact that wasn't caught on video, then go after him. To this point I have to side with the fact that there is no evidence available to see anything other than Freese acting like a punk and being pulled away...

 

If the incident was alleged to have occurred somewhere around the time he jumped on the table, then I doubt there was such an incident. There were still alot of people around the area at that time and the incident would easily have been witnessed by many people. I just think that you'd be hearing a ton more about this if legitimate eyewitnesses truly did observe such an assault.

 

Yes, Frease was acting "punkish" at that point, but I guess if I give anyone a semi-free pass at that point to do so, it would be him, given what had just happened to him. I don't, however, give XU officials any type of pass for letting their players hang on the court after such an ugly episode. It'll be interesting to see how XU ultimately resolves the situation on their side, as they would receive a failing grade for their handling of the matter to this point.

  • Replies 354
  • Views 40.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

Once again other than yelling I see nothing. He might hand swipped at her maybe but you can't really tell. Not saying I don't believe you I just don't see much from the video. I doubt much comes of that "incident".

Once again other than yelling I see nothing. He might hand swipped at her maybe but you can't really tell. Not saying I don't believe you I just don't see much from the video. I doubt much comes of that "incident".

 

The video so far does not match with what people sitting right there said they saw. No getting around that. From what has been put out there so far, hard to imagine charges are pressed...

The video so far does not match with what people sitting right there said they saw. No getting around that. From what has been put out there so far, hard to imagine charges are pressed...

 

Sometimes people "see" things that just don't exist. Let's try to keep some perspective here.

Originally I liked what I heard from Cronin's pressconference. However, now it sounds like he is already starting to make some excuses to justify some lessened suspensions. From the Katz article:

 

Cronin said he never saw Mbodj stomp on Frease. He said Mbodj missed Frease "but that's irrelevant. The whole thing is frustrating because it shouldn't have happened. Whether or not somebody charged at you, and there are camera angles that show Yancy was being charged, there's no excuse. It wasn't showing restraint. There's got to be punishment."

 

Sure, he says there is no excuse but it there is no excuse why try to point out that Mbodj didn't actually connect on his stomp or that Gates was being charged--which is ridiculous, he came in from the side throwing haymakers.

Tu Holloway may be the biggest idiot on the planet.

The lady better be careful about pressing charges if there is no probable cause. There is a little item in the law called a malicious prosecution lawsuit.

Maybe during the expected suspensions, the affected players should take anger management classes........to be taught by N. Suh.

^ #2 next to the Xavier SID

It seems to me that Chris Mack may actually believe his guys were in the right. If he didn't think they were right, why wouldn't he be as intense as Mick cronin? Then the dumba$$ brings his guys back on the court to celebrate? What was he thinking? Xavier players started the physical part of the fight with the cowardly shove from behind, UC escalated it with a cowardly sucker punch from Yancy Gates. Both teams are just as guilty as the other. sean Miller tweeted that he wouldn't expect anything else from the Xavier guys. Am I missing something?

Originally I liked what I heard from Cronin's pressconference. However, now it sounds like he is already starting to make some excuses to justify some lessened suspensions. From the Katz article:

 

Cronin said he never saw Mbodj stomp on Frease. He said Mbodj missed Frease "but that's irrelevant. The whole thing is frustrating because it shouldn't have happened. Whether or not somebody charged at you, and there are camera angles that show Yancy was being charged, there's no excuse. It wasn't showing restraint. There's got to be punishment."

 

Sure, he says there is no excuse but it there is no excuse why try to point out that Mbodj didn't actually connect on his stomp or that Gates was being charged--which is ridiculous, he came in from the side throwing haymakers.

 

Sure there is. There is nothing wrong with trying to ensure the record is set factually straight. I don't see anything improper with letting people know that Mbodj's attempted stomp, while repugnant, did not actually strike Frease and add to/cause his injuries. If that's accurate, let it be known. More importantly, Cronin was made it a point to say that it was "irrelevent" to him, which I assume he means from a punishment perspective.

 

As far as Yancy being charged, he said there's no excuse whether or not he was actually being charged (I certainly don't see that in the video personally), so I don't see this as him repudiating his prior statements. Let's see what action he actually takes before there is a claim he is attempting to justify lesser suspensions.

CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati today announced the suspension of four men’s basketball student-athletes for their participation in a fight that brought a premature end to Saturday’s game at Xavier University.

 

 

 

Yancy Gates, Octavius Ellis and Cheikh Mbodj will each be suspended for a total of six games and Ge’Lawn Guyn for one game. The suspensions will take effect immediately and will be concurrent with the NCAA-standard one-game mandated suspensions that would be applied to Gates and Mbodj for ejections from the game for fighting.

 

 

 

“After reviewing all available video and giving due deliberation to the seriousness of this behavior, we have decided to take these actions,” said UC athletic director Whit Babcock. “We want to deal with this in a prompt and direct manner and send the message that we will not tolerate this from those who have the privilege of representing the University of Cincinnati.

 

 

 

“We have advised the BIG EAST Conference of our decision and the measures we’re taking. I’m thankful for the full support of (UC) President (Gregory H.) Williams and (UC men’s basketball head coach) Mick Cronin.

 

 

 

“Further, I want to apologize to our students, alumni, faculty and staff, as well as to our fans and community. We hold our student-athletes to a very high standard and take very seriously the role that our entire department plays in reflecting the overall image of this great university. We will continue to work diligently to represent the Bearcat family and the Cincinnati community in a first-class manner. There will be zero tolerance for a repeat of this behavior.”

I don't think 6 games is good enough for Gates but at least they are taking some action.

Sure there is. There is nothing wrong with trying to ensure the record is set factually straight. I don't see anything improper with letting people know that Mbodj's attempted stomp, while repugnant, did not actually strike Frease and add to/cause his injuries. If that's accurate, let it be known. More importantly, Cronin was made it a point to say that it was "irrelevent" to him, which I assume he means from a punishment perspective.

 

As far as Yancy being charged, he said there's no excuse whether or not he was actually being charged (I certainly don't see that in the video personally), so I don't see this as him repudiating his prior statements. Let's see what action he actually takes before there is a claim he is attempting to justify lesser suspensions.

 

Just as I thought. Basically just 5 games each for Gates and Mbodj. I could tell he was backing off his postgame comments by the tone of the earlier interview. Gates and Mbodj should have been given a minimum of 10 games apiece if not outright dismissed from the team. The fact that the stomp did not connect is not relevant, he still tried to cause what could have been a very serious injury to a defenseless player who was on the ground.

 

Now let's see what Xavier does. They have at least 2-3 players that should get every bit as much suspension time as the UC players.

Just as I thought. Basically just 5 games each for Gates and Mbodj. I could tell he was backing off his postgame comments by the tone of the earlier interview. Gates and Mbodj should have been given a minimum of 10 games apiece if not outright dismissed from the team. The fact that the stomp did not connect is not relevant, he still tried to cause what could have been a very serious injury to a defenseless player who was on the ground.

 

Now let's see what Xavier does. They have at least 2-3 players that should get every bit as much suspension time as the UC players.

 

I agree that the X guys should get 5. No way is 5 right for Gates.

Just as I thought. Basically just 5 games each for Gates and Mbodj. I could tell he was backing off his postgame comments by the tone of the earlier interview. Gates and Mbodj should have been given a minimum of 10 games apiece if not outright dismissed from the team. The fact that the stomp did not connect is not relevant, he still tried to cause what could have been a very serious injury to a defenseless player who was on the ground.

 

Now let's see what Xavier does. They have at least 2-3 players that should get every bit as much suspension time as the UC players.

 

Which is exactly what Cronin said.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.