Who really needs to be seperated?

Rickyp

Would Clark have been allowed to stay at Danville if he moved a short distance into Boyle's District???

Actually I think yes. Because Danville is in Boyle county. Boyle being a county school, any kid in the county should be able to attend. Now if you reverse it....... :confused:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can public schools advertise on the radio about their schools? Can public schools set up a booth at the mall to recruit their students? Can we give scholarships to students?

I think they do have an advantage but if they abide by KHSAA rules there is nothing public schools can do but try hard to compete.

BTW RP Russell did not complain about RH during the OJ days and continued to play them unlike other schools. Russell will also honor their contract and play RH girls this season.

I believe Vanhoose now lives in the Russell school district.

Can public schools advertise on the radio about their schools?

In Jefferson County, JCPS advertises their schools in the late fall. They also just offered a representative "open house" at the KICC for prospective parents to attend and learn more about individual schools. In addition, I've seen bus advertising, and yes, television advertising.

Can public schools set up a booth at the mall to recruit their students?

Not sure where that one came from. I don't know of any school, public or private that does that. However, refer to my response above about what is done.

Can we give scholarships to students?

Several points here:

1. There is no need for any scholarships for students, as there is no cost to the student's family to attend a public school.

2. Private schools are allowed to offer academic scholarships, based on grades, but no athletic scholarships. The Private schools abide by that rule.

3. Too many people are wont to listen and/or investigate the explanation of need based financial aid. The explanations can not be more clear than those offered on respective school's websites, and even some of the discussions here at BGP. The issue here is perception, and the fact that some simply are set on believing the Private schools are breaking the rules will not be swayed with any amount of proof.

I think they do have an advantage but if they abide by KHSAA rules there is nothing public schools can do but try hard to compete.

And that's what's happening. And when it isn't, there are channels to follow, and there have been punishments handed down. See the thread on LexCath. I do not think, however, that everytime the Private schools are able to succeed within the rules, that the rules should be changed to accommodate the public schools.

BTW RP Russell did not complain about RH during the OJ days and continued to play them unlike other schools. Russell will also honor their contract and play RH girls this season.

I believe Vanhoose now lives in the Russell school district.

Can't comment on this, as I know nothing about it! :D

So all athletes who have scholarship there are top notch students who qualify for academic scholarships. I am sorry I am not buying that.

If an actual SCHOLARHSHIP is awarded, it is on the basis of grades. If there is FINANCIAL AID awarded, it is based upon the family's income.

The two terms are NOT synonomous.

I don't believe I said that they did. Play 2 Win said that Russell had an agreement with Raceland. I said they mush have a similar agreement with Ashland and Boyd. Anyway, it is a fact that kids live in Russell and attend Ashland, kids live in Ashland and attend Russell. No tuition is charged.

I don't know if there is a formal reciprocal agreement or not but there is a clear understanding. There's nothing in the world wrong with that, in fact I am in favor of open enrollment. Competition will help improve the quality of education for everyone. School vochures would do the same and I am in favor of those also. But I think it invalidates the arguement that private school have an inherent advantage because they are not restricted by district boundries.

AMEN to that (the bolded statement). Schools primary objective is education and athletics is an extension of that education.

Michigan went to open enrollment across the state (so it can be done state-wide). While there was some moving around the first couple of years, after that it has settled down. Think about it. High schools are where the difference is usually seen most glaringly. So mom and dad send little Johnny and Susie to the elementary and middle school in the district they live in and then pay tution to send them to the neighboring high school. Once open enrollment is instituted, mom and dad send Johnny and Susie to the elementary school as well and we don't see many transfers between middle and high school.

What has this done for MI. Well, it holds the schools more responsible to provide a top-notch education. If the parents feel that the education is not good enough then they can send their children to a different school at no cost other than the transportation to get them there. Yes there will be some that transfer because of athletics, but that's where the transfer rule comes in.

Whatever you want to believe rockmom.

Is that why they court the best athletes out of Jeffersonville IND?

You see the letter the AD from over there wrote?

Talking to you private schools is like talking to a wall.

This is my last post on this thread.

Whatever you want to believe rockmom.

Is that why they court the best athletes out of Jeffersonville IND?

You see the letter the AD from over there wrote?

Talking to you private schools is like talking to a wall.

This is my last post on this thread.

You make this point I mentioned above all too clear in the above post:

3. Too many people are wont to listen and/or investigate the explanation of need based financial aid. The explanations can not be more clear than those offered on respective school's websites, and even some of the discussions here at BGP. The issue here is perception, and the fact that some simply are set on believing the Private schools are breaking the rules will not be swayed with any amount of proof.

The issue you mention above relative to out of state students would be solved with the passing of Proposal 3, and is not at all relative to Proposal 20. The letter from Tony Branch was very interesting, but failed to take into account several contributing factors, one being that the players playing on CATHOLIC grade school teams. I wonder what Mr. Branch's beef would be had those students wound up at Providence instead of X or T?

As to talking to private schools being like talking to a wall, again, you ask questions, I respond, and you reply with "whatever you want to believe, rockmom". As I mentioned, there's no secret to the financial aid process or the process of scholarships. Everyone has access to that information via the websites of the respective schools, calling the school, attending an open house....there are many ways to acquire the information. Yet...many don't want to know.

You are right rockmom.

It is a completely level playing ground when you can draw from 53 feeder schools and have players from 14 counties.

It is completely level.

You win.

53 feeder schools in 14 counties...how many of those are Catholic grade schools?

There is no such thing as leveling competition. That's an oxymoron.