Question about Bowling Green

jbwill2

Along with the fact that BG just did not face any good football teams, with the exception of St.X early on.
I think Warren Central and Hopkinsville would strongly disagree, as would I.

Why is it so difficult to believe that even great teams have bad games every once in a while? It's entirely possible to believe that happened without discounting Lexington Catholic's tremendous performance.

Lexington Catholic was the better team, IMO, but Bowling Green is far from terrible. The truth is that LexCath took advantage of Bowling Green's weakest point: their offense. They have some passing ability, but when it gets down to it their bread and butter is the run. LexCath shut them down in the first half with the exception of the one drive. Addtionally, the defense makes very few, if any mistakes. LexCath was able to drive on Bowling Green for a couple of scores, in the first half, but of the first 35 points for LexCath, 21 were directly a result of Bowling Green offensive mistakes. Three fumbles, two returned for touchdowns, one took two plays after to get a TD. There are few, if any that will return from that.

And yeah, I'd say that the likes of Hopkinsville and Warren Central would take issue with the "no good teams" rip.

I think Burkes numbers were hurt because the defense kept taking the ball away from BG and scored quickly a couple times, thus keeping the LexCath offense off the field more than would normally happen. As for the LexCath defense, it's been most effective against teams like BG and Highlands which like to put pressure outside thus playing to LexCath's strength on defense, fast linebackers and defensive backs. BG had running success up the middle where LC is small but you have to nix it up some when the D is stacked to stop this. I think BG's problem in this matchup was that the LexCath speed trumped the BG muscle and frustrated the heck out of them. Not much BG could do as I see it.