Who are the 8th graders at your school that can make an impact next year?

We are talking about legit 8th graders also, not ones that have been held back for mulitple years, just for sports. Wow what a life!

Acutally, we are talking about all freshman. It is hard to find a stand out freshman that has not been held back at least one year. My eighth grade year was the first year it was big in Harlan. Unfortunately for me, my mother would not let me hold back. I don't like the rule all that well, mainly because it sends the wrong message to kids. Most kids believe his dream of going to the NFL will definitely come true, but as we all know, the odds are against him. I think parents should instill the value of education into their children's heads instead of the "All-American" football player fable.

I know of several freshmen to-be football players at Highlands next year that are going to be great football players someday, but by no means could they play on the same playing field as the varsity that HHS has! This is not a knock against these kids, but these freshmen are not ready mentally or physically to go against kids 3 or 4 yrs older. Maybe some schools have to use the freshmen players to complete their team but by no means are they going to be impact players playing against JR and SR's!!!!

Acutally, we are talking about all freshman. It is hard to find a stand out freshman that has not been held back at least one year. My eighth grade year was the first year it was big in Harlan. Unfortunately for me, my mother would not let me hold back. I don't like the rule all that well, mainly because it sends the wrong message to kids. Most kids believe his dream of going to the NFL will definitely come true, but as we all know, the odds are against him. I think parents should instill the value of education into their children's heads instead of the "All-American" football player fable.

Now wait a second. I'm not a fan of holding back whole classes of kids just for a sports advantage. However, I think it should be a parent's choice. There are several reasons why it may be advantageous to a child to have an extra year of prep work, sports is only one of them.

For example, a year of age and maturity makes the adjustment to studying on the next level a bit easier. Not just from elementary to high school but from high school to college. I know I would have benefited my freshman year in college from an extra year of maturity. :dancingpa

An extra year of social maturity wouldn't hurt either. Freshman year is :fire: for many incoming students. Another year would make that transition easier as well.

And by the way, what is wrong with a young man being better prepared for his four years to play high school sports. The possibility of playing at the next level is so remote that it doesn't justify holding a kid back by itself. But why not give a kid who loves his or her game an opportunity to be their best at it. And, if by hard work and good fortune, the extra year helps secure a scholarship, good for them. Don't we want our kids to succeed? Acedemic and sports success aren't mutually exclusive in this issue.