Who are the 8th graders at your school that can make an impact next year?

Maybe I'm misreading what a couple of you are talking about, but moutainmojo68 is talking about kids in eighth grade right now, making an impact on their team when they are a freshman. That is not unusual in high school football. I was no All-American, but I started on both sides of the ball when I was a freshman. I know of many people who have done the same. Out of the four teams in my county, two of the starting quarterbacks were freshman. I'm sure freshman make an impact on a numerous amount of teams each year.

As far as Cawood goes, there are a few players who could make an impact as a freshman.

T.J. Green

Chase Niday

Larry Williamson

These three players could make an impact for Cawood next year. Green could have started in Cawood's backfield as an eighth grader in my opinion.

I can't see any freshmen making an impact next year on the varsity level...Highlands not only has a good Senior group of young men next year they also have two classes below them that are very strong...Undefeated Freshmen seasons. I look for this incoming Freshmen class to be strong as well and look forward to seeing them play football together.

I recall a few (very few) freshmen that impacted Danville's program at certain times.

In 1983 Danville was rebuilding and started a Freshman QB named Keith Morgan and a Freshman RB named Jimmy Baughman. They got on a roll at the end and finished something like 8-4 and lost the Regional Final game in AAA to Conner (eventual state champ). Both were key in the Ads success that year and would come back the next year to lead Danville to a 13-0 record and the AAA State Title. Baughman made All-State 3 years and Morgan started all four seasons at QB.

In 1987 the Ads found a freshman HB to help out Donnie Redd and Tim McDaniel in the bone. David "DA-DA" Walker rushed for about 500 yards that year but is best remembered for running for the TD in OT and then blocking the EP vs. Mayfield and giving the Ads the AA State Championship.

So you can see that some very special Freshman can help a team but I wouldn't rely on them to carry a team.

Again we see the difference between large and small schools. A 1A program will quite often have freshmem that contribute, but the larger schools have more athletes to choose from. Plus, a lot of coaches like to keep them at the freshman level to make sure that they learn the offense and defense.

At LCA, Tyrell Hayden's younger brother, Dominique, will be a freshman next year and looks to get some playing time. We had some freshman and sophomores that played on the line this year and may have some from next year's freshmen class that will get a chance to contribute.

I agree with NCBird and Family Tradition, there's no need to have Freshmen step up into primary roles at the Varsity level. Next years HHS Freshmen Class will be concentrating and dedicating themselves to carry on the undefeated seasons that have been played before them in recent years.

No doubt, it's going to be fun watching them all come together as one unit. I've heard most of them are working out regularly and even the basketball players are doing their part to get stronger and faster.

Maybe I'm misreading what a couple of you are talking about, but moutainmojo68 is talking about kids in eighth grade right now, making an impact on their team when they are a freshman. That is not unusual in high school football. I was no All-American, but I started on both sides of the ball when I was a freshman. I know of many people who have done the same. Out of the four teams in my county, two of the starting quarterbacks were freshman. I'm sure freshman make an impact on a numerous amount of teams each year.

As far as Cawood goes, there are a few players who could make an impact as a freshman.

T.J. Green

Chase Niday

Larry Williamson

These three players could make an impact for Cawood next year. Green could have started in Cawood's backfield as an eighth grader in my opinion.

Thanks, maybe next time I should draw pictures for some of them LOL!!!!!!!

Again we see the difference between large and small schools. A 1A program will quite often have freshmem that contribute, but the larger schools have more athletes to choose from. Plus, a lot of coaches like to keep them at the freshman level to make sure that they learn the offense and defense.

If you are referring to Hatz' post, you may not have noticed that he was talking about Danville when it was a 3A team. Not to mention an undefeated 3A team.

Jefferson County Schools generally do not have eighth graders at their school. A handful may play across the county. There is no middle school program and that is one of the reasons they lag behind the private schools in this team sport.

Madison Central doesn't normally play freshmen on the varsity, but, they did have a freshman who saw some playing time on defense this year, watch for him next year, I believe the name is Keshawn(?) Simpson. I haven't heard of any 8th graders who would make an impact next year, of course, after practice starts for next fall is when this would be determined.