Question about the Ohio Herbie...

The games for the Ohio Herbstreit Classic were recently announced, and the schedule seems a bit weak. For one, the original point of this event was to pit Ohio teams against non-Ohio teams, and yet half of the Ohio Herbie games are contests between Ohio teams this year. Does anyone know if any KY teams were considered for this event? When you have teams like Trinity, St. X, Highlands, Ryle, Male and Boyle County (among others) pretty close by, why not invite some of them to participate?

I tend to think two things are in play here. One, teams from Pa, Fla., and Texas are watching their travel dollars and secondly Kentucky teams do not have national appeal. These games are on the ESPN network and they are looking for only known powerhouses that will draw a national audience.

I tend to think two things are in play here. One, teams from Pa, Fla., and Texas are watching their travel dollars and secondly Kentucky teams do not have national appeal. These games are on the ESPN network and they are looking for only known powerhouses that will draw a national audience.

If it's on ESPN , why wouldn't it draw a national audience ? Does everybody that watches high school football know who the best programs are all across this country ? Yea , we hear a lot of people talk about the Florida , Texas , California , and even Ohio teams about how great their football is. Why is there such a frown on Ky. football ? I can assure you that there are at least two teams in Kentucky ( T and H ) that would give any national powerhouse a good game.

I look at this differently than other people do , right or wrong , here it is . The ky derby is running the first Saturday in May every year . Everybody that knows anything about horse racing knows that the best race horses are bred in Ky , right ? right !! So , if this were the case , if nineteen of the twenty horses were bred any where but Ky , lets say , Florida , Maryland , New York , would you bet everything you own on the only Ky bred in the race ? I don't think so ! (I'll give you my tip about betting the horses , go out to the paddock , where they saddle the horses, and bet on the first one that kicks the wall ) :D Hope it works for you , it never does for me ! :lol:

The bottom line is , It's not where your from , it's who you are !!! :cool:

I lean toward the economic answer. And in addition to travel savings if you have two Ohio teams you probably get a better gate at the game.

And I would say that has everything to do with it.

I lean toward the economic answer. And in addition to travel savings if you have two Ohio teams you probably get a better gate at the game.

In a nutshell, that's a bullseye.

Economics on both sides (school and event), and a chance to improve gate.

Smaller factor, the Harbin system plays into how every good team in the state goes about scheduling. Events like this are a gamble. They become an even bigger gamble if the Ohio schools know they are going to play a highly nationally ranked team. If they're playing a regional power or another Ohio school, the risk/reward becomes more appealling.