Ft. Thomas Resident Killed in Afghanistan (The Funeral)

Birdsfan

I hope this doesn't upset anyone, but there is a HUGE, and I mean a HUGE, buzz around NKU that the Westboro Baptist idiots are gonna be protesting tomorrow. Everybody here that I've heard from is ticked off that the WBC folks are gonna be here to try to prove a point to whatever their message is at the expense of Pvt. Pickering's passing.

Personally speaking, I feel like everyone should be honoring Pvt. Pickering's life instead of what those whackos are known for doing.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this doesn't upset anyone, but there is a HUGE, and I mean a HUGE, buzz around NKU that the Westboro Baptist idiots are gonna be protesting tomorrow. Everybody here that I've heard from is ticked off that the WBC folks are gonna be here to try to prove a point to whatever their message is at the expense of Pvt. Pickering's passing.

Personally speaking, I feel like everyone should be honoring Pvt. Pickering's life instead of what those whackos are known for doing.

Ya know, I heard this also. I happen to have a cannon sitting around with alot of extra gun powder. Been wondering how I was going to get rid of that extra gun powder.:cool::jump::taz::thumb:

Ya know, I heard this also. I happen to have a cannon sitting around with alot of extra gun powder. Been wondering how I was going to get rid of that extra gun powder.:cool::jump::taz::thumb:
Lock and load, baby!!! :ylsuper:

In September of 1862, Confederate Brigadier General Henry Heth was ordered to move his troops north to threaten Cincinnati, then the sixth largest city in the United States. Getting word of this threat, Cincinnati's mayor ordered all business closed, and Union Major General Lew Wallace declared martial law, seized and armed sixteen steamboats, and organized the citizens of Cincinnati, Covington and Newport, Kentucky for defense.

Along eight miles of hilltops from Ludlow to present-day Fort Thomas, Kentucky, volunteers and soldiers constructed rifle pits and earthwork fortifications, which were defended by 25,000 Union Army soldiers and 60,000 local militia volunteers, called "Squirrel Hunters."

Heth and his men marched from Lexington, Kentucky on the Lexington Turnpike (present-day U.S. Route 25) arriving south of Covington on September 6. Upon seeing the defenses arranged before him, he determined that an attack was pointless. Heth's forces stayed only a few days, skirmishing near Fort Mitchel on September 11, before returning south to Lexington on September 12, 1862. The city of Cincinnati was saved.

On Friday, April 22, 2011, a small group of misguided and heartless protesters threatened the solemn funeral of a fallen American hero.

Getting word of the threat, the NKU community banded together, along with other like-minded citizens, and formed themselves into an imposing line of defense around the fallen soldier, his grieving family and the community that came to pay due respect.

Upon seeing the defenses arranged before them, the misguided protesters determined that an attack was pointless. Decency was preserved.

God bless the NKU community for what they did for Brandon Pickering this morning! :thumb: