Akin named Lady Royals new head coach

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think it would be unfair to judge her on just a couple games?

No. Coaches and players get judged on just a couple of games all the time. Sometimes less. My son got scholarship offers from schools that never saw him play, but just a 5 minute highlight video and/or a 4 hour camp.

No. Coaches and players get judged on just a couple of games all the time. Sometimes less. My son got scholarship offers from schools that never saw him play, but just a 5 minute highlight video and/or a 4 hour camp.

Not that I'd be calling for a firing, but you can tell a lot by a couple games especially since there's been plenty of practice time before then.

Knowing the game is not that big of a deal. Everyone in the state of Kentucky knows more about basketball than I do. Just ask them. How a coach relates to and motivates the players makes the biggest difference. If a coach can't keep a team's morale high, motivate the players and instill enthusiasm, it won't matter much how well they know the game. When you read about great coaches, do they talk about the coaches technical knowledge? No, they talk about their ability to motivate and inspire their players.

Not that I'd be calling for a firing, but you can tell a lot by a couple games especially since there's been plenty of practice time before then.

Knowing the game is not that big of a deal. Everyone in the state of Kentucky knows more about basketball than I do. Just ask them. How a coach relates to and motivates the players makes the biggest difference. If a coach can't keep a team's morale high, motivate the players and instill enthusiasm, it won't matter much how well they know the game. When you read about great coaches, do they talk about the coaches technical knowledge? No, they talk about their ability to motivate and inspire their players.

Good post!

Akin tabbed to lead Lady Royals

Mason principal and athletic director Steve Appelman called the search for a coach "exhaustive." He said "22 to 24" coaches applied and Akin was one of four coaches interviewed.

Appelman said what impressed the committee was her emphasis on individual player development, a feeder program and her conditioning and weight training programs.

The young coach took Harrison to a 17-14 record, 38th District title and region tournament appearance last season in her first year as a head coach. She previously served as an assistant at Apollo and a softball assistant coach at Barren County, her alma mater. Akin also played basketball collegiately as a walk-on at Western Kentucky and will continue to teach physical education and health at Harrison through the end of the school year.

Akin may be inexperienced, but Appelman and the hiring committee were willing to overlook that because of her work ethic.

"I think that's all you can ask of a coach, work as hard as you can and make your team better," Appelman said. "And I think if she does those things, I think Mason County girls' basketball will be back towards the top again."

http://www.maysville-online.com/sports/article_ebe161c0-6451-11e0-803c-001cc4c03286.html

"Think".... "Think"..."Think"... pretty hard to start a feeder program in one year at Harrison County. I wonder what impressed the committee, they only had to look in their back yard for that. Oh, I forgot. Never hardly ever see them, except for regional tourney.

"Think".... "Think"..."Think"... pretty hard to start a feeder program in one year at Harrison County. I wonder what impressed the committee, they only had to look in their back yard for that. Oh, I forgot. Never hardly ever see them, except for regional tourney.

Im a familiar face in the AAU circuit and I've never seen a team from Cynthiana. Can someone shed some light on the success of Harrison Co. Feeder programs?