New Head Coach @ Tennessee: Cuonzo Martin

Hangman

I am going to have to see some numbers to back this up- the athletic department dollars do not even compare considering football and the revenue it generates. So unless Fed Ex is funneling revenues to the University of Memphis, which would have to be on their books as a public company, I am really doubting Memphis could outspend Tennessee if the Vols wanted to pony up the dough.

Then look it up.

So Memphis boosters can't spend their money however they want without putting on their company's books? I guess I'll have to tell my employer to record the UK shirt I just bought. :rolleyes:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then look it up.

So Memphis boosters can't spend their money however they want without putting on their company's books? I guess I'll have to tell my employer to record the UK shirt I just bought. :rolleyes:

You did not say boosters, you said Fed Ex- and now you are telling me Memphis boosters will out spend University of Tennessee boosters? Again, I do not buy it.

BTW, I did look it up- the 10-Q Quarterly Report filled by Fed Ex on March 18, 2011 list no revenues going to the University of Memphis coming from Fed Ex, in case you were wondering. :thumb: http://ir.fedex.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=950123-11-26716

And if you used company funds to buy that shirt, then yes, I would inform my employer. :D

Edited by born2reign
Added 10-Q link

You did not say boosters, you said Fed Ex- and now you are telling me Memphis boosters will out spend University of Tennessee boosters? Again, I do not buy it.

BTW, I did look it up- the 10-Q Quarterly Report filled by Fed Ex on March 18, 2011 list no revenues going to the University of Memphis coming from Fed Ex, in case you were wondering. :thumb: http://ir.fedex.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=950123-11-26716

And if you used company funds to buy that shirt, then yes, I would inform my employer. :D

Who said anything about using FedEx funds?

If big wigs from Fed Ex are Memphis boosters, which many are, why would they have to report what they spend their money on?

Who said anything about using FedEx funds?

If big wigs from Fed Ex are Memphis boosters, which many are, why would they have to report what they spend their money on?

It was implied that a connection to Fed Ex meant that Memphis could outspend Tennessee. I simply asked for some evidence. There isn't any, of course.

Bottom line, my argument holds- if Tennessee wanted Pastner, money would not be the issue for the university. There are other reasons why he is not there- it may be likely that Tennessee never considered him and I am curious, why? I am curious if he sent word that he would not take that job, or what? He made some sense to me to land in Knoxville.

It was implied that a connection to Fed Ex meant that Memphis could outspend Tennessee. I simply asked for some evidence. There isn't any, of course.

Bottom line, my argument holds- if Tennessee wanted Pastner, money would not be the issue for the university. There are other reasons why he is not there- it may be likely that Tennessee never considered him and I am curious, why? I am curious if he sent word that he would not take that job, or what? He made some sense to me to land in Knoxville.

You don't think the CEO, COO, CFO and President (all known Memphis boosters) of Fed EX could outspend UT for a basketball coach? They just spent a CRAZY amount of cash to keep Pastner, and he hasn't shown he can win anything yet...

You don't think the CEO, COO, CFO and President (all known Memphis boosters) of Fed EX could outspend UT for a basketball coach? They just spent a CRAZY amount of cash to keep Pastner, and he hasn't shown he can win anything yet...

Do I think Memphis' boosters could outspend Tennessee's if Tennessee decided they wanted a guy- absolutely not.

If we were talking football you would be 100% correct...

Okay, but then that answers my question- Tennessee did not want to open up the checkbook for Pastner, which is what I said earlier. I do not believe that Memphis can spend with Tennessee if Tennessee decided to go for a coach that Memphis wanted in any sport. Big Orange pockets run deep as well, that was all I was trying to point out.

Okay, but then that answers my question- Tennessee did not want to open up the checkbook for Pastner, which is what I said earlier. I do not believe that Memphis can spend with Tennessee if Tennessee decided to go for a coach that Memphis wanted in any sport. Big Orange pockets run deep as well, that was all I was trying to point out.

And you are wrong. When it comes to basketball Memphis can outspend UT all day every day. That's the facts on the situation...

And you are wrong. When it comes to basketball Memphis can outspend UT all day every day. That's the facts on the situation...

Semantics- Memphis will outspend them, but that does not mean that Tennessee can't. Tennessee just will not. There is enough money running through Knoxville that getting their guy would not be an issue. They have CEO's on their board of directors also. They have CEO boosters also. Football is king at Tennessee, as you said. I am going to need to see some facts that prove otherwise. I'll eat crow all day if somebody can show me the definitive argument that Tennessee can't outspend Memphis any time they want to.

Reality. Memphis money spends on basketball. UT money spends on football. Not changing no matter how much you think it "could"...

I'll eat crow all day if somebody can show me the definitive argument that Tennessee can't outspend Memphis any time they want to.