Aaron Ponder-Madison Southern High School

This kids broke 1000 points the other night, is a flat out shooter, and last year college coaches were all over him since his team was winning. Now his team is not winning and the college scouts seem to be backing off a little. This guy gets triple teamed and teams just guard him and he still scores. People better take a look at this kid, cause he has a lot of skill and could really help a team at the next level. Any thoughts?

This kids broke 1000 points the other night, is a flat out shooter, and last year college coaches were all over him since his team was winning. Now his team is not winning and the college scouts seem to be backing off a little. This guy gets triple teamed and teams just guard him and he still scores. People better take a look at this kid, cause he has a lot of skill and could really help a team at the next level. Any thoughts?

Very good scorer. Is he quick enough to guard at the next level? I still believe he needs to be playing somewhere, especially someone who can score like he can. Is anyone talking with him?

He has shouldered the load for Southern this year. I think he will be a nice pick up for someone. His ability to get the basket is underrated, and his 3 ball is as good as advertised. I agree with Panther his drawback will be finding him a matchup defensively at the next level but if he finds a team that runs some zone he could really be an offensive spark.

I agree with what everbody is saying. I think the biggest thing with him as a defender is the fact he has had to do most of the scoring for Southern and he is not asked to be the primary defender. I think with work defensively he could play for a small D-1 school in the OVC or the MAC. I watched him play last night and it seemed to be effortless for him. I look forward to hopefully seeing him play the next four years.

I agree with what everbody is saying. I think the biggest thing with him as a defender is the fact he has had to do most of the scoring for Southern and he is not asked to be the primary defender. I think with work defensively he could play for a small D-1 school in the OVC or the MAC. I watched him play last night and it seemed to be effortless for him. I look forward to hopefully seeing him play the next four years.

Kentucky graduated one kid last year that is playing for a "small"??? D-1 school in the OVC or the MAC, and that is Josh Sewell. I'm sure Ponder is a good player but Josh was second to Justice for Mr. KY Basketball; All-State his Jr. & Sr. years, MVP of the LIT, KOB and the 5/3 Classic last year and already had his scholarship by the summer going into his senior year. I don't think you realize what kind of player it takes to get a scholarship or even play at that level.

I'm definitely not knocking Ponder, but I've seen Madison Southern play 4 or 5 times the last two years, and I've never heard of him, nor have I heard anyone talking about him (ie. Demling, Bolus, Rivals, etc.). If his abilities were what you say they are the college coaches would have kept on recruiting him and actually would have already offered. Division 1 schools have already offered and most future D1 players have already accepted those offers, unless the player has so many options that they will sign later this spring.

From what you and others are saying, sounds like he can play at the next; level but Division 1?

Another example that almost no one has any idea how good you must be to be a Division I college player. No disprespect meant to you, because I hear the same thing said about kids all the time and don't know whether to cringe or laugh. People just have no idea how good, or freakishly fast, or freakishly big and strong you have to be to be a D-I player.

The kid is a good high school player. Can he play collegiately, sure. But, only if he's ready to hop on any offer he gets from a small NAIA school or D-III school.

I think all you guys are probably right. Northern Kentucky and EKU have both come to see him play and NKU is pretty high on him, I know NKU is D-III, but they are a very good program. I know what it takes to play at the D-I level, and I do think that the team he plays on affects his ability to be seen. He will play college ball but I hope the team he plays on now does not hurt him...I think it does. Everyone in here brings up great points and I agree with them, but if Southern was having the year they had last year Ponder would be playing at a small D-I school.

I think all you guys are probably right. Northern Kentucky and EKU have both come to see him play and NKU is pretty high on him, I know NKU is D-III, but they are a very good program. I know what it takes to play at the D-I level, and I do think that the team he plays on affects his ability to be seen. He will play college ball but I hope the team he plays on now does not hurt him...I think it does. Everyone in here brings up great points and I agree with them, but if Southern was having the year they had last year Ponder would be playing at a small D-I school.

Ponder not playing D-1 basketball has nothing to do with Southern's performance this year. If he is good enough, they will find him or at least keep recruiting him.