Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region 2011

Featured Replies

Puke on me, This sounds like something out of the Ward and June Cleaver Vacation Handbook.

 

 

Now that's a bright, intelligent post that furthers the discussion in a meaningful way. :D

 

And you can think what you want, it happened just the way I described it.

  • Replies 374
  • Views 58.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is SO BORING..... Can we talk about 9th region baseball and not about spring break and Ft Thomas????

 

I agree...I can't even remeber who the team to beat this year in the ninth region is anymore?

I agree...I can't even remeber who the team to beat this year in the ninth region is anymore?

 

Holy Cross will be very strong with their pitching depth

So you think the coach should change his rule - a rule that is used by most, if not all, other coaches in the area - to accommodate certain players that choose not to fully commit themselves to the baseball program, some of whom who have never been a part of the program? And you would feel the same way if this applied to a football rule also? And I very much disagree - there are absolutely times you make decisions to help yourself down the road that may not be beneficial immediately.

 

"What message does it send to the other seniors on the team if you cut a senior who is a better baseball player in order to keep a younger kid on the team in order to increase the team's chances of winning down the road?" Probably that the coach is more interested in those seniors who are fully committed to the team and willing to abide by the rules and program established by the coach.

 

Honestly, with all due respect (and I mean that sincerely), there are very clearly two standards at Highlands. The standards and rules set up for the football program somehow seem to be unfair when applied to another sport. I really have a hard time believing you make this post if it is about Highlands football players wishing to skip a week of mandatory football practices/games as established by the head football coach.

 

I tried to respond by PM but as they say, your box is full.

 

As I posted in the Highlands Baseball 2011, I'm rather embarrassed, as I violated one of my Cardinal Rules: don't complain about a coach or his decision in public. Pick up the phone and do it privately. I've moved on. I'm sure that Jeremy made the decision he thought was best for Highlands baseball progam.

Championship baseball programs don't allow baseball players to go on spring break and miss a week of baseball. Would your kid miss football to go on a fall break vacation? Coach Baioni has a formula to develop a championship program.Here is some news for you, a senior who hasn't played high school baseball during his career is not going to help Highlands win the region. Coach Baioni is better off going with younger kids that actually care about playing baseball. Maybe these kids will make the choice to play baseball over spring break when they become seniors and then you will see the regional championships come in flocks. No pun intended!
You are right on target! Coach Baioni knows that it takes commitment over the long haul to build a top notch baseball team. It isn't going to happen overnight, or even in one season.
Cut Jeremy some slack. The guy has done more for the baseball program since he took over 2 seasons ago than had been done for decades. Sounds like the rule didn't work out for your son, but all rules can have unforeseen consequences, no matter how well intended & how good they are for the long run health of a program - both of which I believe to be the case with this rule. My son has missed out on seeing his aging grandmother for two years now to stay in town for baseball. Life is a series of decisions. You make the best choices you can based on your priorities & then live with the consequences. As Oprah likes to say - "you can have it all, just not at the same time." And that is the last time I'll ever quote Oprah.
I agree with you completely. Well, that is, expept the the word "decades;" let's say a decade and a half or so. :cool:

 

Seriously though, I applaud Coach Baioni's integrity, and efforts to bring the program up to the level of the top teams in the area.

Good times LN. Thanks for the memories, I gotta get back to Siesta.

 

Excellent depiction though of what goes on. However, the kids kids have to make that tough choice.

 

 

I can't answer your question because I don't know if all the kids go with their families, but it has to be an extremely large percentage that do so. I've gone with my two sons the last 7 or so years and it was with an extremely large group of families. The Spring Break tradition in FT is not a bunch of kids going off somewhere by themselves. It is a bunch of families going together; usually to Siesta Key or Indian Shores in Florida. A smaller group of families goes to the panhandle area. Last year, a very large group of families with seniors went to Punta Cana. It was a blast and I spent a lot of time with my son. Great memories that I'll forever cherish. This year the group of families going there is even bigger. People have the wrong impression of at least how FT does Spring Break. It's not the bunch of kids going to Panama or Daytona by themselves and getting stupid drunk and wild every day. It's a family event. Almost every day on the beach, it's Dads vs Lads playing beach volleyball. It's cornhole tournaments involving Dads, Moms, Sons and Daughters. It's deep sea fishing trips with the Dads and their Sons. It's group family dinners. It was a huge fishfry at the Surf and Racket Club that brought in the families staying up at Indian Shores and down at Longboat Key. And one of the better things about going to Siesta was Sarasota had a midnight curfew on the beach. So at midnight or shortly thereafter, most of the kids went back to their condos.

 

I'm not so naive to think that no high schooler has ever had a drink down there. But with the kids going home at night to condos with parents present, it's not some drunk filled week of debauchery. At least it wasn't when I've been down there.

Good times LN. Thanks for the memories, I gotta get back to Siesta.

 

Excellent depiction though of what goes on. However, the kids kids have to make that tough choice.

 

It was fun wasn't it? And great memories too. Kids had fun; parents had fun; and parents and kids had fun with one another. People can think what they want, but those were great times that happened because so many families were in the same vicinity at the same time.

Was told the Ninth Region Coaches were at my buddies PeeWee's Place the other night talking baseball and voting who the coaches thought was the top teams in the area.

RESULTS ??????

 

1. Beechwood

2. NC

3. Holy Cross

4. CCH

5. Boone

6. Ryle

7. Dixie

8. Campbell

9. Brossart

10. Conner

 

Obviously this is a NKY vote and not a "9th region" vote.

  • Author
1. Beechwood

2. NC

3. Holy Cross

4. CCH

5. Boone

6. Ryle

7. Dixie

8. Campbell

9. Brossart

10. Conner

 

Obviously this is a NKY vote and not a "9th region" vote.

 

I dont think this will even be nearly close at the end of the season. Beechwood is too high. I understand they are returning everybody but they literally have the exact same team as they had last year even though Larimore is back, he wont be able to be on the mound. NC should be #1. They will be the team to beat this year, their pitching is very good with Cain, Sullivan and Grey being the head of the rotation. Boone is too low also, they return the 9th region tournament MVP and a D1 signee in Laumann. Dixie is too low also. Even though they did lose Smallwood and several other seniors they will still be VERY good. Their JV team last year compiled a 21-6 record and you cant forget they still have IMO the pre-season pick for Player of the Year in Sexton. With Sexton, Popham, Dematteo, Riddle and Barnhorst coming back from last year they will still be very very talented.

I dont think this will even be nearly close at the end of the season. Beechwood is too high. I understand they are returning everybody but they literally have the exact same team as they had last year even though Larimore is back, he wont be able to be on the mound. NC should be #1. They will be the team to beat this year, their pitching is very good with Cain, Sullivan and Grey being the head of the rotation. Boone is too low also, they return the 9th region tournament MVP and a D1 signee in Laumann. Dixie is too low also. Even though they did lose Smallwood and several other seniors they will still be VERY good. Their JV team last year compiled a 21-6 record and you cant forget they still have IMO the pre-season pick for Player of the Year in Sexton. With Sexton, Popham, Dematteo, Riddle and Barnhorst coming back from last year they will still be very very talented.

 

I'm not as high on Dixie as you. They had a great year last year because a)they had the most dominant pitcher and b)they backed him up with Sexton. Sexton is strong but he's not Smallwood IMO and whomever is the #2 isn't Sexton. I do not think they have enough talent. I do look for Cory Abeling to have a strong season.

  • Author
I'm not as high on Dixie as you. They had a great year last year because a)they had the most dominant pitcher and b)they backed him up with Sexton. Sexton is strong but he's not Smallwood IMO and whomever is the #2 isn't Sexton. I do not think they have enough talent. I do look for Cory Abeling to have a strong season.

 

Cory Abeling should have a strong season. I look for Popham and Dematteo to be a huge part in Dixie's success too. I would say Barnhorst would be the #2 in the rotation, have you seen the kid pitch. Probably in the top 3 pitchers in the NKY velocity wise. He also throws many strikies with good off speed. He held a very good Conner team last year to 1 run through 6 innings.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.