Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region 2011

Featured Replies

I have seen Jared throw and he is probably in the mid 70's consistently. He is a good pitcher but no where near being in the low 80's consistently. AJ is a different story. He can throw pretty well at times.

 

You may be correct. It's hard to say really as Jared has thrown about 10 inning's the last two years due to injuries and AJ was not used in High School but did throw some in summer ball. I think both were clocked at 79 mph last August during the Col's tryouts and both are much stronger this Spring. As Oldtimeballer says, it doesn't matter how hard you throw, can you "pitch".

  • Replies 374
  • Views 58.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few player throw in the Eighty. Maybe the radar guns need to be checked.

I'm with you old timer.... some of the best hurlers are those who can locate their pitches. Velocity is important but location is the key to being a successful pitcher.

 

Right on Horst. You can teach control and location, but you cant teach velocity. So in HS it all starts with the GAS and then the Stinky Cheese. LOL

Right on Horst. You can teach control and location, but you cant teach velocity. So in HS it all starts with the GAS and then the Stinky Cheese. LOL

 

You got that right SB. I recall the districts a few years back when Newport beat HHS at Highland Park. The starting pitcher for Newport that afternoon (Claas as I recall) was throwing one speed for the 1st 3 innings and then much slower, and stinkier and cheesier in the late innings. Felt like I was watching bugs bunny vs. the gas house gang. Newport, like Bugs in the cartoon, got the W that day.

I'm sorry, but I am a little skeptical on this whole thing. If I'm correct, the post say the freshman was clocked at 85mph? Which means that he was most likely clocked as an 8th grader throwing 85mph.. I think someone may have read the gun wrong..

You got that right SB. I recall the districts a few years back when Newport beat HHS at Highland Park. The starting pitcher for Newport that afternoon (Claas as I recall) was throwing one speed for the 1st 3 innings and then much slower, and stinkier and cheesier in the late innings. Felt like I was watching bugs bunny vs. the gas house gang. Newport, like Bugs in the cartoon, got the W that day.

Like I have said before very few player are throwing in the eighty. Two weeks ago at a showcase at Champions, and out fifty pitcher's only five or six were hitting in the eighty and three were from NKY, Shumate, Sexton and Cottingham.

  • Author
Like I have said before very few player are throwing in the eighty. Two weeks ago at a showcase at Champions, and out fifty pitcher's only five or six were hitting in the eighty and three were from NKY, Shumate, Sexton and Cottingham.

 

I heard the same thing Marley. There will only be one other player in NKY in my opinion that will throw in the 80's CONSISTENTLY and that will be Jake Cain of NCC.

Very few player throw in the Eighty. Maybe the radar guns need to be checked.

 

Watched an intrasquad scrimmage last saturday and the first 4 pitchers all threw in the 80's except 1, and he was in the 90's. The 90's kid topped at 95. The 80's kids topped at 88, 85 and 83. 80's is not uncommon in this day and age. I would venture to say that most of the top 20 teams in the state will have multiple pitchers throwing in the 80's.

  • Author
Watched an intrasquad scrimmage last saturday and the first 4 pitchers all threw in the 80's except 1, and he was in the 90's. The 90's kid topped at 95. The 80's kids topped at 88, 85 and 83. 80's is not uncommon in this day and age. I would venture to say that most of the top 20 teams in the state will have multiple pitchers throwing in the 80's.

 

I would like to know what team you were watching because that team in my opinion would be the favorite to win the state tournament with ease.

Please. There is noone in the state of Kentucky that is throwing like that. Chandler Sheppard has the best arm and I know he is not throwing like that right now. Only Alex Meyer from UK is throwing 95 and he is going to be a first round pick. Whoever had that gun for the hs kid that was throwing 95 needs to get it calibrated for the new season.

Watched an intrasquad scrimmage last saturday and the first 4 pitchers all threw in the 80's except 1, and he was in the 90's. The 90's kid topped at 95. The 80's kids topped at 88, 85 and 83. 80's is not uncommon in this day and age. I would venture to say that most of the top 20 teams in the state will have multiple pitchers throwing in the 80's.

 

Just wondering but have you read the rules of BGP's? You might want to look at rule 6! #6. No putting incorrect or false information on the site.

Just wondering but have you read the rules of BGP's? You might want to look at rule 6! #6. No putting incorrect or false information on the site.

 

Good reminder TOG. Sounds like a mythical group of minor leaguers...

Watched an intrasquad scrimmage last saturday and the first 4 pitchers all threw in the 80's except 1, and he was in the 90's. The 90's kid topped at 95. The 80's kids topped at 88, 85 and 83. 80's is not uncommon in this day and age. I would venture to say that most of the top 20 teams in the state will have multiple pitchers throwing in the 80's.

 

Were you in Goodyear, AZ for Saturday's Reds' scrimmage??

Watched an intrasquad scrimmage last saturday and the first 4 pitchers all threw in the 80's except 1, and he was in the 90's. The 90's kid topped at 95. The 80's kids topped at 88, 85 and 83. 80's is not uncommon in this day and age. I would venture to say that most of the top 20 teams in the state will have multiple pitchers throwing in the 80's.

 

Was Syd Finch pitching?

I heard the same thing Marley. There will only be one other player in NKY in my opinion that will throw in the 80's CONSISTENTLY and that will be Jake Cain of NCC.

 

Unless he falls off for some reason this year, I'd say Sexton certainly throws consistently in the 80's. Not as high in the 80's as Cain, but he's consistently in the low 80's.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.